oil change

guiltrip

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
for those who change their own oil, does the filter need to be cleaned every 3,000 miles or do I just change the oil. I normally do both but I have to get back to work in a half an hour and would rather not clean the filter if I dont have to

delon79

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I always changed the filter at the same times as changing the oil, but did it at every 6,000 rather than 3,000 miles. NB: I stopped driving in the States because I kept daydreaming behind the wheel and rear-ended three people (in a bad way) in an 18-month period, so my automotive advice should be taken with a grain of salt.

guiltrip

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah I think I'll change the filter later, my jack stands are crap so I'm going to pick some more up too

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
:eek: You'd be better off changing the filter and not the oil. Either way it's akin to taking a shower then putting on the same underwear afterward.

Oil filters have a bypass valve so when they're full of crap the oil will still circulate, but so will all of the contaminants. And then it's boo-hoo blown engine down the road. :disappointed:

Bottom line: Change that filter ASAP.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You have to change the oil filter when you change the oil.
I change the air filter every other oil change.

I always changed the filter at the same times as changing the oil, but did it at every 6,000 rather than 3,000 miles. NB: I stopped driving in the States because I kept daydreaming behind the wheel and rear-ended three people (in a bad way) in an 18-month period, so my automotive advice should be taken with a grain of salt.
Do you drive better in London?

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Change your oil and Filter EVERY 3000 MILES...IRREGARDLESS of what that Stupid Manual Tells you.

Chassis Lube every 3000 or 6000 miles.

Air Filter every 15,000 or whenever you cannot see light through the filter.

PCV Valve every 50-70K miles.

Spark Plugs at 70K Miles - They say their good till 100...but theyre not.

Trans Filter and Flush 70K miles.

Rear Differential fluid (If RWD) 70-100K miles.
Transfer Case Fluid (If 4X4 or AWD) every 70-100K miles.

Belts - look for cracks. If severely cracked, replace.
Timing Belts - generally around 80-100K miles depending on how treated.
Timing Chains - 100-150K tend to get sloppy... While your in there, do a head job too.

Wheel Bearings - generally sealed units last 200K miles. Inspect periodically
I could go on...but you get the idea.

Preventative Maintenance saves more money than you realize.
It's when something BREAKS that the cost goes WAY up.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The previous post is why I always listen to Rikter8.
[\quote]

Your always so kind to me.

I'm no expert, but these are things that I observe when I tear down cars.
Ive built quite a few, repaired many, and always log the wear and tear I see with mileage in my mind.
I just hope it helps somebody out, and saves someone from learning the School of Hard Knocks.

C

guiltrip

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Change your oil and Filter EVERY 3000 MILES...IRREGARDLESS of what that Stupid Manual Tells you.

Chassis Lube every 3000 or 6000 miles.

Air Filter every 15,000 or whenever you cannot see light through the filter.

PCV Valve every 50-70K miles.

Spark Plugs at 70K Miles - They say their good till 100...but theyre not.

Trans Filter and Flush 70K miles.

Rear Differential fluid (If RWD) 70-100K miles.
Transfer Case Fluid (If 4X4 or AWD) every 70-100K miles.

Belts - look for cracks. If severely cracked, replace.
Timing Belts - generally around 80-100K miles depending on how treated.
Timing Chains - 100-150K tend to get sloppy... While your in there, do a head job too.

Wheel Bearings - generally sealed units last 200K miles. Inspect periodically
I could go on...but you get the idea.

Preventative Maintenance saves more money than you realize.
It's when something BREAKS that the cost goes WAY up.

wow I think its time for me to get my belts, chains, and bearings checked. I always thought the engine would give out before that was necessary

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
oh fine Ill change the filter tomorrow morning. I got the new jack stands and theyre really tight and compact
Good boy, figured I'd leverage your lpsg name. :grinning-smiley-003 Don't forget to top up the oil as the filter can hold quite a bit.

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
:eek: You'd be better off changing the filter and not the oil. Either way it's akin to taking a shower then putting on the same underwear afterward.

Oil filters have a bypass valve so when they're full of crap the oil will still circulate, but so will all of the contaminants. And then it's boo-hoo blown engine down the road. :disappointed:

Bottom line: Change that filter ASAP.

What Veep said--if you had to choose one or the other choose the filter. Heck, if you run full synthetic, and always have, you could probably get by with only changing the oil every 10,000 plus miles, as long as you kept it topped off, and changed the filter ever 3-5000 miles. Not that you SHOULD do this---but just that you probably COULD "get away with it". Changing your oil and filter regularly is the SINGLE most important thing you can do to extend the life of the engine.

Shiningdog

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Bottom line is, if you want your car to last hundreds of thousands of miles, change ALL FLUIDS, including radiator coolant, power steering fluid, brake fluid, anything that is liquid, is made of petroleum products, ON SCHEDULE, including all filters (don't forger fuel filter). Also, don't neglect to change that O2 sensor (oxygen sensor) at 100,000, or on manufacturer's recommendation.

Just don't waste your time by changing the oil and not the oil filter. But honestly, at 3,000 miles, it isn't an end-of-the-world event anyway.

Ron

delon79

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Do you drive better in London?

The world is a safer place without me driving, so... I don't.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"Change your oil and Filter EVERY 3000 MILES...IRREGARDLESS of what that Stupid Manual Tells you."

Ford indicates change the oil filter every other oil change and those are @ 7,500 mile intervals. I thought how strange, it's always been every oil change in my life and around 5,000 miles. So I get a Haynes manual and it confirms what Ford indicates. And this is with conventional motor oil, not synthetic. I've had this vehicle since 57K miles as the 2nd owner, adhered to the stipulated intervals and the engine has 175K on it and runs smooth. The vehicle is a 1994 year model.

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I change my oil & filter every 5,000 miles. I think every 3,000 miles is a little much unless you drive your car like a taxi.

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
I change my oil & filter every 5,000 miles. I think every 3,000 miles is a little much unless you drive your car like a taxi.
Which many people do, if not worse. It really depends on the typical usage, operating conditions and environment. Short trips dictate more frequent changes and long trips less, for example.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Just don't take your car to one of those "jiffy" oil change specialty places. They'll always say its time to:

* change the oil
* change the filter
* change your brakelight bulbs
* change your radiator fluid
* change the air filter
* change the hoses
* change the brake pads
* change the spark plugs
* change the distributor
* change the trans fluid
* change the tires
* change the windshield wiper blades
* change the battery
* change the seat belt clasps
* change the station on your car radio
* change the brand of cereal you eat
* etc...

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Just be careful at those kind of oil change places. They charge ridiculous prices for air filters and such. I got burned once on an air filter. Charged me over twice what I could have bought it at Auto Zone.