Oil/Lube Job

lttlgrllst

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Didn't really know what to title this.
I get ticked off at the ignorance of so called mechanics every time I take my vehicle in for the regular maintenance. They can even screw up a simple oil change/lube job.
I've only had it done at a shop about three times (my husband use to do it) but it never fails they screw up something.
The first time I took it to the dealership. Got most of the way home (about 30 miles) it starts losing oil pressure, rapidly. They had put the oil filter on so tightly it twisted the thing it screws onto most of the way off. I guess the vibration of driving finished it off and there went the oil filter and all the oil.
They sent a tow truck and fixed it but I had to wonder, what did that do to the motor?
Second time, different vehicle. I took it to good old Walmart. They did the oil, air filter and rotated tires. I waited for 3 hours. When I finally got to leave I thought it was running kind of rough. The further I drove the worse it got. It almost died at the stop light, would hardly idle at all.
I took it back and they said changing the oil wouldn't affect the idling. They couldn't imagine what it was. While they were standing around scratching their head's I was looking at my ticket and mentioned the air filter. Sure enough, they hadn't put it on right, it was sucking too much air.
Third time, I went to Speedylube. A place I had heard of before, thought it would be good.
The girl at the cash register looked like she had been working on cars, oil spots, grease. That surprised me, a female mechanic, but I thought good, she probably pays attention to detail. You know the little things like not over tightening, putting stuff back together right!
Once she pulled my car in, I saw the two teenage bimbo's (sorry, couldn't think of a better word!) that were doing the actual oil change. I was really worried then. I watched through the window all the horse play and giggling, just praying they wouldn't screw something up.
They were fast, though. When I started to leave I noticed the maintenance reminder still flashing. I went and told them and she came out and dug the manual out to read how to reset it. It doesn't say in there, but she finally figured it out by pushing every button on the monitor.
Driving down the road I noticed a smell of hot oil, I guess burning off where they spilt it on the motor. I'm so paranoid I did stop and look under it for leaking. And yes I checked the oil level when it cooled off.
Getting maintenance done is like russian roulette, you never know.
OK I ranted I feel better now!

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I get ticked off at the ignorance of so called mechanics every time I take my vehicle in for the regular maintenance. They can even screw up a simple oil change/lube job.
I've only had it done at a shop about three times (my husband use to do it) but it never fails they screw up something.
The first time I took it to the dealership. Got most of the way home (about 30 miles) it starts losing oil pressure, rapidly. They had put the oil filter on so tightly it twisted the thing it screws onto most of the way off. I guess the vibration of driving finished it off and there went the oil filter and all the oil.
They sent a tow truck and fixed it but I had to wonder, what did that do to the motor?
Second time, different vehicle. I took it to good old Walmart. They did the oil, air filter and rotated tires. I waited for 3 hours. When I finally got to leave I thought it was running kind of rough. The further I drove the worse it got. It almost died at the stop light, would hardly idle at all.
I took it back and they said changing the oil wouldn't affect the idling. They couldn't imagine what it was. While they were standing around scratching their head's I was looking at my ticket and mentioned the air filter. Sure enough, they hadn't put it on right, it was sucking too much air.
Third time, I went to Speedylube. A place I had heard of before, thought it would be good.
The girl at the cash register looked like she had been working on cars, oil spots, grease. That surprised me, a female mechanic, but I thought good, she probably pays attention to detail. You know the little things like not over tightening, putting stuff back together right!
Once she pulled my car in, I saw the two teenage bimbo's (sorry, couldn't think of a better word!) that were doing the actual oil change. I was really worried then. I watched through the window all the horse play and giggling, just praying they wouldn't screw something up.
They were fast, though. When I started to leave I noticed the maintenance reminder still flashing. I went and told them and she came out and dug the manual out to read how to reset it. It doesn't say in there, but she finally figured it out by pushing every button on the monitor.
Driving down the road I noticed a smell of hot oil, I guess burning off where they spilt it on the motor. I'm so paranoid I did stop and look under it for leaking. And yes I checked the oil level when it cooled off.

Holly crap !!!!!! There isn't professional car dealers in your area like western auto?

lttlgrllst

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Even the so called "professionals" seem to be not very professional. I don't know where I'll go next time. A shade tree mechanic might be safer!

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Even the so called "professionals" seem to be not very professional. I don't know where I'll go next time. A shade tree mechanic might be safer!
But atleast in a professional place you get a guarantee of the job. Is worse with wimpy mechanics.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Comments in the order of appearance (of the red, bold lines above):

1. That confirms a general experience I have made: Some men should use torque wrenches or learn that tightening a screw is no fitness training. I can remember at least one plane crash that has been caused by bolts that have been tightened too hard, actually.
  2. (and 3.) Exactly that is among the first things everyone with a semi-mechanic job learns about piston engines: Rough running - check air intake volume first, check mixture setting then. Either these guys had been doing the job for too long, or they wanted to show off for the female customer, or they sensed a good opportunity for a real bargaining!
  3. see 2.
  4. I know a car mechanic who has told me that some repair shops have a list of customers whose cars can be handled by trainees and interns, or generally direct occasional customers to them. A debatable business practice, but hell, that's business life.

Notice that they applied the best possible tactics to your problem? If the Master caution/alert flashes, just reset it.
  5. A good decision, the only correct one in this situation. Hot oil can mean a lot of things that will ultimately mean costly repair jobs, and you don't want these dumbasses to replace your engine completely, do you?
All in all, my comment on this is: If you want a job done properly, do it yourself. Period.

lttlgrllst

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Good point HD. I would have to wonder though, if they would stand behind there work or if a person would have to sue them if something did go drastically wrong.
Also a good point clairetalon. I'm tempted to do it myself. Maybe try some of the new synthetic oil. Better gas mileage from that I hear.