Oil Subsidies!!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mensch1351, May 18, 2011.

1. Mensch1351

Gold Member

In the only other State that begins with "K"!
    I'm listening to Rachel Maddow who is explaining that an actual member of Congress from Florida has proposed that since the US Gov. owns 70% of the land in the State of Utah -- we ought to sell it off in order to pay down the debt!!

And yet these same Senators who are "desperate" for finding ways to cut the deficeit REFUSED to vote to cut subsidies to big oil companies and "save" $21 billion on the deficeit.

A quick note to Paul Ryan like minded souls. In "cutting" the budget -- "No you can't keep your golf club membership by cutting out what we've set aside for Granma's new teeth!" (It's an analogy folks!!):biggrin1:

2. liberalcynic

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    WE can could start by taxing corporations, and the rich that ought to pay their own fair share.
    Along with oil subsidies, cutting the defence budget, not going into every country in world at Bush's whim.
    There's a start.

3. liberalcynic

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
  4. parr

parr New Member

Nice idea about oil subsidies, you have to remember they won't lose
    money what ever they have to pay out in taxes will simplly be passed
    on to the consumer.:cool:

5. drac

drac New Member

Apparently you aren't aware of the fact that the federal reserve has given out over 12 trillion dollars to central banks of their chosing all over the world to make the rich even richer over the past decade, and every single penny is accounted for by the collateral the US has, yes that collateral is you and I. And when the dollar falls to a point where $100 isn't even worth a what a dollar is now, well, we'll see, once the dollar is removed as the world currency then it's gonna be crazy. The federal reserve act of 1913 gives the banks all the control they want, and when it's time to pay, they don't have to worry one bit, they will simply pack up and move to the country that holds the world currency at that time. Good times. I am getting into banking!!!

6. cruztbone

Gold Member

liberal cynic is correct. in CA , we dont even have an oil extraction fee, unlike other states, because our state legislative GOP members worship the long hard gas tank nozzles the oil companies bone them with, and it takes two thirds of a majority in both houses of our state legislature to pass ANY tax, fee or other revenue raising measure. few other states have such an anti-democratic rule. a simple majority should suffice. So, even though the GOP holds NO statewide offices and was SWEPT out of office last NOvember, we are still unable to collect the oil revenue our state's residents deserve.
    JUST ONE MORE reason to thank A-A-A-A-H-H-H-H-NOLD, the WORST Govenor ever!

7. Mensch1351

Gold Member

In the only other State that begins with "K"!
    Now THERE'S a great reason to wave the American Flag and tout how patriotic you are. Truthfully?????? I think they could give a GOOD SHIT about this country AND it's people!! We're just the pawns to make them a buck and they'd abandon ship at the drop of a hat -- if they could make a buck at it! By the way -------- there's always Government Price Controls!!!!! Hmmmmmmmmmm!!

8. parr

parr New Member

More government control you mean, might as well, everything else is.:mad:

9. ColoradoGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    drac - despite being off-topic, I want to understand your point better. If you're saying that the Federal Reserve -- the guys with the nice buildings who implement monetary policy -- has given 12 trillion dollars to the central banks of other countries in the last decade, I guess I'm going to have to ask for more details. I would think something of that enormity would generate at least one news article... somewhere.

Enlighten me.

#9 ColoradoGuy, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011
  10. ColoradoGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Actually, parr, I understand your point about passing on 'costs' to the consumer, but removing a subsidy wouldn't be a tax -- I think it would just increase costs and result in reduced profits. However, help me with three nagging points on this topic:

• Are the recipients of these subsidies the major oil companies?

• Do these oil companies need subsidies to be competitive?

• Do these subsidies act in any way to reduce the price of fuel to the consumer?
    I'm just sort of curious. Typically, the government hands out subsidies to struggling industries or sectors. I don't know what the size of the subsidies are in relationship to the profits of the oil companies, nor do I know which oil companies we're talking about here. If these subsidies aren't larger than the profits claimed by the recipients of these subsidies, and if the beneficiaries of this government largesse are in fact the so-called majors, wouldn't it make sense that they could be reduced or even removed completely without impacting the price a consumer pays at the pump?

Of course, this is all like fantasy-league baseball (fun to occupy time with, but meaningless in the long run) because big oil is an important contributor to congressional, presidential, and state politics. But, I am interested if you or anyone actually has the scoop on the three questions I posed.

11. parr

parr New Member

Good questions indeed, I wouldn'd know from where to start any research
    for these exellent points. At the time of my reply, I was only stating what
    I thought of how they "Oil Companies" would react if subsidies where
    removed.

Draft saved Draft deleted