OJ arrested. Whites elated.

HotBulge

Worshipped Member
Media
Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
Respectfully,

I think the OP misunderstands the reasons why Black people were upset during the original OJ Simpson trial. The Simpson trial was blown out of proportion, beyond its original scope. The case focused more on the court-room drama with characters such as Judge Ito, Prosecutor Marsh Clark, Asst. DA Darden (the black guy??), the investigator Mark Furhman, and OJ's lawyer than it did on OJ. If you will recall, OJ didn't even testify at the trial.

Black people were upset, not because they have some overwhelming love of OJ Simpson, but rather because he appeared to be framed by the state with incriminating evidence. Mark Furhman's racist background (allegedly) and the accusations of him planting tainted blood evidence, spark Black America's long-standing fear. Black people in America historically worry that the police are corrupt and that the law is prejudicially weighed against Black people to begin with. Unfortunately, many Black people have cultivated a distrust of the police : Black America was reacting to notions of historical injustice with "the system". There is also some latent resentment over "the Othello factor", this implicit unspoken notion that a White woman's life is more valuable than a Black person's.

As for the case, the reason OJ has walked freely for the past 12 years (until today), is that the prosecution failed to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt. Remember the phrase, "if the glove don't fit ... you must acquit"... Basically, OJ"s lawyers cast enough doubt on the prosecution's presentation that a jury was obligated to acquit. In the US, we presume innocence until proven guilty. The prosecution's case had holes in the time line, presented implausible scenarios for the murder with the timeline, had tainted DNA evidence, and had questionable collection of evidence.

Any reasonable Black person today, looking back on the OJ saga, knows that OJ is the most likely suspect. He was physically abusive, he had the motive to kill, and no other suspects were ever named/found. After the verdict in Oct 1995, Black people were not joyous over Nicole's death nor about OJ walking free. They were joyous that what appeared to be Furhman's planted or fabricated evidence didn't work. I other words, a corrupt system's tactics didn't work.

As for OJ today, he's a pathetic train-wreck. His arrogance and sick need for adulation are finally catching up with him.

HotBulge

Worshipped Member
Media
Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
Addition: My reaction to the OP is not intended to generate a flame war. I just find it to be a-historical to the context of the times: 1994-95. The OJ Simpson really took on a life of its own -- by the end of the trial, we practically forgot about OJ and focused on so many other aspects of the trial. Everything else but the murder was on trial in the court of public opinion back in 1995.

Daddy Lucas

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It is my personal belief.. Free OJ? Thank goodness! Have you seen the prices since the freeze in FL! Finally something good for the US and the South African economy and for the children! Amen!

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
A criminal is a criminal...skin color or ethnicity be damned.

Amen to that yngjock!

Black people were running around shouting, "We won! We won!"

WHAT THE FUCK DID WE WIN???

Every day, I check the mailbox for my O.J. prize...nothing.

--Chris Rock, in a skit on the acquittal
If nothing else, this phenomenon illustrated that the majority of black people are just as stupid and easily manipulated as the majority of white people. How's that for irony?

Where are the white Broncos we were all supposed to get?

Damn, just when you thought it was safe to turn on your TV.

Fear not, we still have Lindsay Lohan screwing up to entertain us.

I'd prefer free Beer

:beerchug2: On me friend.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The man got away with murder in my opinion and my skin color or his skin color has nothing to do with how I feel about it. I recently saw an interview on Oprah with Christopher Dardan...it seems even Johnnie Cochran knew the man was guilty and tried to warn Dardan not to put Mark Furman on the stand because it would end up ruining his case. Ethically, of course, Cochran couldn't come out and say that, but he did try to warn the prosecution.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hmmm. Most men when they get arrested don't smile when they're put in handcuffs.

The man's ego just loves attention.

A waste of time, as I said before.

That's because he thinks he is being tried in the court of public opinion again and in reality, he isn't. If he goes down now, he goes hard. Part of me hopes he ends up taking the full blame and full sentence for this thing. The man is making a mockery of an already seriously flawed criminal justice system.

southwest

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Is it not the case a lot of racial tension these days tends to be caused by the media looking to sell their half arsed shallow crap. In the UK it is always reported that a black youth has done so and so, yet when it is a white person who is the criminal, it is reported.. a youth has done so and so. The media use the idea of racial difference to try to make their reporting more impactive. I think that this way of conveying facts is twisted and governments should intervene, as it has a detrimental impact on society as a whole. What is important is that a criminal is prosecuted for committing crime. Ethnic background should not come into that judgement.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is it not the case a lot of racial tension these days tends to be caused by the media looking to sell their half arsed shallow crap. In the UK it is always reported that a black youth has done so and so, yet when it is a white person who is the criminal, it is reported.. a youth has done so and so. The media use the idea of racial difference to try to make their reporting more impactive. I think that this way of conveying facts is twisted and governments should intervene, as it has a detrimental impact on society as a whole. What is important is that a criminal is prosecuted for committing crime. Ethnic background should not come into that judgement.

I agree the media is irresponsible. I hate that skin color is the first description used about a person. Why can't it be said "The lady in the red dress" instead of the black or the white or whatever in the red dress? I've always described people like that.

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
No. I understood this. What I never understood is how black people felt that racist remarks and possible planting of the evidence were worse than double homicide. I never understood how black people could cheer when OJ was set free, meanwhile most black people know that he was guilty.

But then you see the same dynamic in whites all the time. How many people has Bush sent to their deaths? Nearly 3,000 US soldiers, I think. And yet a significant percentage of the population, mostly whites, respect Bush. And nevermind the hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqi civilians. No one cares about them.

Respectfully,

I think the OP misunderstands the reasons why Black people were upset during the original OJ Simpson trial. The Simpson trial was blown out of proportion, beyond its original scope. The case focused more on the court-room drama with characters such as Judge Ito, Prosecutor Marsh Clark, Asst. DA Darden (the black guy??), the investigator Mark Furhman, and OJ's lawyer than it did on OJ. If you will recall, OJ didn't even testify at the trial.

Black people were upset, not because they have some overwhelming love of OJ Simpson, but rather because he appeared to be framed by the state with incriminating evidence. Mark Furhman's racist background (allegedly) and the accusations of him planting tainted blood evidence, spark Black America's long-standing fear. Black people in America historically worry that the police are corrupt and that the law is prejudicially weighed against Black people to begin with. Unfortunately, many Black people have cultivated a distrust of the police : Black America was reacting to notions of historical injustice with "the system". There is also some latent resentment over "the Othello factor", this implicit unspoken notion that a White woman's life is more valuable than a Black person's.

As for the case, the reason OJ has walked freely for the past 12 years (until today), is that the prosecution failed to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt. Remember the phrase, "if the glove don't fit ... you must acquit"... Basically, OJ"s lawyers cast enough doubt on the prosecution's presentation that a jury was obligated to acquit. In the US, we presume innocence until proven guilty. The prosecution's case had holes in the time line, presented implausible scenarios for the murder with the timeline, had tainted DNA evidence, and had questionable collection of evidence.

Any reasonable Black person today, looking back on the OJ saga, knows that OJ is the most likely suspect. He was physically abusive, he had the motive to kill, and no other suspects were ever named/found. After the verdict in Oct 1995, Black people were not joyous over Nicole's death nor about OJ walking free. They were joyous that what appeared to be Furhman's planted or fabricated evidence didn't work. I other words, a corrupt system's tactics didn't work.

As for OJ today, he's a pathetic train-wreck. His arrogance and sick need for adulation are finally catching up with him.

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
I saw an interview with Cochran several years ago where they asked him if he thought OJ did it. His answer was, "I don't know." I remember thinking, "Nah, you know he did it."

Several years ago, Howard Stern interviewed the dad from Growing Pains. Howard said, "You lived by OJ in Brentwood. What did you think of him?"

The actor said, "Well, you know. I knew the charming OJ, the one we all knew. I would see him playing golf, and he was charming, you know."

Howard interrupted and said, "Yeah, I thought he was pretty charming when he cut off his wife's head. You have to admit there's a certain charm in that."

The man got away with murder in my opinion and my skin color or his skin color has nothing to do with how I feel about it. I recently saw an interview on Oprah with Christopher Dardan...it seems even Johnnie Cochran knew the man was guilty and tried to warn Dardan not to put Mark Furman on the stand because it would end up ruining his case. Ethically, of course, Cochran couldn't come out and say that, but he did try to warn the prosecution.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No. I understood this. What I never understood is how black people felt that racist remarks and possible planting of the evidence were worse than double homicide. I never understood how black people could cheer when OJ was set free, meanwhile most black people know that he was guilty.

But then you see the same dynamic in whites all the time. How many people has Bush sent to their deaths? Nearly 3,000 US soldiers, I think. And yet a significant percentage of the population, mostly whites, respect Bush. And nevermind the hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqi civilians. No one cares about them.
Can we please keep Bush and Iraq out of this one please?

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight

So sad, but soooo true.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
But it's the same dynamic. It's like the police departments code of silence that you can't speak out against another officer. People look the other way when speaking out would cost them too much.

It's just that I have such a headache from yesterday. You implied that for one to support Bush that one must not care about innocent Iraqi civilians or the men that are being sent over there. That is again, another general statement and I take issue with that. This is just going to be a repeat of yesterday...nothing accomplished, just a thread going off track.

e1ectricfee1

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Charles FinnRe: OJ arrested. Whites elated.
After rodney king, blacks kinda took on oj as their sticking it to the man. Which is so sad since we`re all called the human race.

And to reply to this, I present you with dialogue from a NICKELODEON CARTOON.

Guru Pathik:The greatest illusion of this world is the illusion of separation. Things you think are separate and different are actually one and the same.
Aang: Like the four nations.
(We see a map of the world, with the various nations represented in different colors. The map shines brightly, and all the lands are the same color. They shine once more, and return to their separate colors, as Pathik continues to speak.)
Guru Pathik: Yes. We are all one people, but we live as if divided.
Aang: We're all connected. (opens his eyes) Everything is connected.

And that's not even the only time in that show...people could learn something if they stopped to think about the world, or if they exposed themselves to the right things.