Ok...does god love you?

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Oh yeah I know what he's doing. I just like pointing it out as it's happening. You know, so he learns... : unamused:

In my experience those with an active martyr complex revel in it. Sam's caution is right: we're feeding the troll. Whoops--just did it again. ;)

Reactions: liquiss

bkmuscledad

Superior Member
Media
The thing most people misunderstand is that God gave all of us free will, including the freedom to believe in Him or not.
If He gave us this gift, it is not up to anyone to take it away. That's where fundamentalists (of every religion) get it wrong.
Religion itself is not the problem. Any tool or organization can be made to be used for good or bad, to build, or to be a weapon. This is true of all things, everything from a hammer, to a knife, to a corporation, to a government, to a religion. It all depends on whose hands it's in. The key is to ensure that these entities are in the hands of good people, and are being used to build or improve things.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Boys, can we take our rulers to the Politics section and leave this forum alone.

The main reason we even have a Politics forum is to contain the vitriol. I already have too much of it in the media. I don't need it here.

As a moderator if this discussion continues here I will petition to close this thread.

liquiss

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Boys, can we take our rulers to the Politics section and leave this forum alone.

The main reason we even have a Politics forum is to contain the vitriol. I already have too much of it in the media. I don't need it here.

As a moderator if this discussion continues here I will petition to close this thread.

But the discussion, for the most part, is on topic. Isn't it? I mean a discussion about religion is inherently a "political" type discussion. Perhaps this thread shouldn't have existed in Et Cetera, Et Cetera in the first place?

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yea, that's a rhetorical and unnecessary insult.
If you want to understand, and you are not married to your concept of god, but actually are open to a non-mystical explanation, you are doing a poor demonstration of this. I was being literal. I have already explained myself. If you prefer to feel slighted, then feel free to simper and snot into your keyboard. It has nothing to do with me.

Here, should you need to see that explanation one more time:

That one would think a subject as complicated as the origin of a universe, and the science that might explain it could be whittled down and digestible enough to accept or reject within just a few minutes suggests one doesn't take the subject seriously and is already commited to magical thinking. That's fine, but I'm not prepared to pretend I don't see magical thinking when I see it. I do see choosing magic over math as easy and soothing, and historically, theocratic manipulation of a populace is intended to soothe and comfort good folks into submission. Therefore, it is a common, deeply ingrained reflex, and while I wish you wouldn't, I'm not mad at anyone for following the path of least resistance. Your choices are not ones I would make. Many others would. It's fine, but it means I should only invest so much energy in your edification.

Last edited:
Reactions: MisterB