Ok...does god love you?

Fatalistic catastrophizing pessimism.
Virationzzz shows great compassion regarding many of the world’s problems. But Varationzzz, there are reasons for encouragement!

And I share many of Phil’s positive hopes for human self-improvement. But Phils last comment provided such a great lead in to the song below that I couldn’t resist accommodating him.

Truth is however, of the post presented (except for my own), I find halcondays position(s) provide the most positive and open understanding of humanities current condition.

The Christian God I believe in said he is “spirit” and not a part of or limited to our time/space reality. His message is focused on individual his grace and individual faith, not technology and science.

That said, the reality we live in is challenged to use all our skills and intelligence to benefit human life, and by that the health of the planet. I would urge anyone involved in this mission to realize that science and technology are very different disciplines, however, both are ultimately driven by human standards of right and wrong. And that knowledge (or lack of it) is our biggest challenge.

Reactions: 185248

liquiss

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
God is a man made word. It can represent any being from the mythical to the religious.

Religion is also a man made thing, word.. So is spirituality. But in the end, it's part of us. Has been since the beginning.

I do not care much for "organization". The Earth, planet itself is very disorganized. It heaves, it throws us off balance. There is no such thing as organised when you live on a changing planet.

Semantics. You're nit picking one word instead of the meaning an intent of my through. I still stand by it.

Jee- I dunno- maybe the fact that life was around for nearly a billion years BEFORE us?
Maybe because EVERY OTHER MASS EXTINCTION resulted in living things repopulating the earth with myriad new species?
Maybe because he earth has been way HOTTER THAN IT IS NOW, and WAY COLDER THAN IT IS NOW and yet life survived and adapted?

Humanity is a tiny bump in a very long road. Sure- we can fuck things up for OURSELVES... we can kill off a lot of species...
But that has all happened before and life went on.

And I wouldn't call it giving anyone HOPE... we will still be gone.
We can't eat everything in the world because we can't even FIND everything in the world.

And species don't die out when the last one starves to death- they can die out if their breeding population fall below a certain level.

Frankly- I don't think humanity is in any serious danger of dying out. We might have our current civilization collapse- but that, too, has happened before.

You know what else has happened before?

A bunch of cassandras wailing about how we were all headed to our doom and the world was gonna end.
And not one of them was ever right...

IN the 70's they said we would all starve by 1990- we didn't
They said another Ice Age was coming- and it turned out to be the opposite.

We are only JUST gaining the ability to measure complex systems- and still have yet to fully understand them.

Dinosaurs didn't invent plastic- and yet they ALL DIED. Sure Look at all the toxic poisons- and yet we still live longer and healthier than ever before in human history. 3 centuries ago life expectancy was drastically shorter because of plain old SMOKE from cooking fires. You are whining about the fact that we are SO healthy, and SO long lived, that we can live long enough to be affected by microscopic traces of other toxins...

And Plutonium?
All the plutonium in the world would fit into a SINGLE tractor trailer.
Its just NOT that big a deal... Your FEARS are inflated by media hysteria and folks who do not understand radiation and its actual threats. Plutonium is not the radiation threat that will get you. RADON IS... and that shit seeps out of the ground everywhere all the time and we had nothing to do with it.

Plastic seems novel- but its made of oil- which is a result of plant matter decaying over millions of years. Sure it gets into the food chain and we should place LIMITS on it. REGULATE IT. So- hey- first step is STOP VOTING FOR THE GOP!
put people in power who BELIEVE in
regulation.

Stop falling for bullshit.

We have real threats facing us- but NONE are more dire than the threat of corporate and ownership Greed spreading disinformation and division that stymies our ability to form consensus about how to fix anything.

Nothing is inevitable but our individual deaths.

If you think Humans can figure out how to eat EVERY living thing on earth before eating each other- then why don' you have faith that they would figure out how to stop the destruction of our environment?

I'm old enough to remember when air quality in LA was like what we see in the worst parts of China.
But the air is a lot cleaner, today- because we enacted regulations to minimize the worst sources of pollution.

We CAN change our behavoir.

We CAN decide to ignore imbecilic greedy assholes like Rupert Murdock and the Koch bros.
We CAN tax the living shit out of the ownership class to Fund remediation of environmental issues.

China has plans be carbon neutral within 12 years.

Maybe they can pull it off.

But you know what NEVER works at solving ANY problem?

Fatalistic catastrophizing pessimism.
Is ok Phil, i knew you would have an answer....a long one. With capitals and all. :)

Semantics. You're nit picking one word instead of the meaning an intent of my through. I still stand by it.
Semantics is a man made word, the same as faith, science and religion. I can live with that, some can't apparently.

I don't dislike someone for their beliefs. I dislike someone if their beliefs endanger life. Your safe :)

Yet, you still provided no scientific proof. Yet, from all accounts of science, and David Attenborough, all life will become extinct if we do not act now.

Any corroborating scientific evidence to support your claims above Davids Phil? Supposing you are more learned than he.

Please, try to refrain from the long winded replies.

BillM

LPSG Legend
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Beverly Hills (California, United States)
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Please, try to refrain from the long winded replies.

th

Virationzzz shows great compassion regarding many of the world’s problems. But Varationzzz, there are reasons for encouragement!

And I share many of Phil’s positive hopes for human self-improvement. But Phils last comment provided such a great lead in to the song below that I couldn’t resist accommodating him.

Truth is however, of the post presented (except for my own), I find halcondays position(s) provide the most positive and open understanding of humanities current condition.

The Christian God I believe in said he is “spirit” and not a part of or limited to our time/space reality. His message is focused on individual his grace and individual faith, not technology and science.

That said, the reality we live in is challenged to use all our skills and intelligence to benefit human life, and by that the health of the planet. I would urge anyone involved in this mission to realize that science and technology are very different disciplines, however, both are ultimately driven by human standards of right and wrong. And that knowledge (or lack of it) is our biggest challeng

The Christian God exists, to many, I agree. But to this day it is not proved.

This is what I believe. That you are born onto this planet. Whether you be born to black, white , yellow or iridescent.

This planet chose you for your birth place. Because this planet chose who where to give birth to you, and all your predecessors.

This planet takes life away in an instant, as it does grant it. So does the Universe. You wish to believe in 1 God.

I suggest you recalculate your position in the Universe before you suggest just 1 God is able to dictate the fate of you or I.

No, just click to expand, cuase I'm not going to bother with the peripheral shit to change it.

Reactions: 622675

liquiss

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Semantics is a man made word, the same as faith, science and religion. I can live with that, some can't apparently.

I don't dislike someone for their beliefs. I dislike someone if their beliefs endanger life. Your safe :)

Every word is a man made word. What they express and represent however is what's important. I could go back and forth with you all day using the same rebuttal about words all being made up. ;)

I hope you're right though, I hope there is a higher being with a higher plan for each one of us. I hope that all the shitty things we do to each other while in the mortal coil is actually forgiven at some point. I'm too scared of that being untrue, so I just do my best to not be shitty each of every day. That's my faith I guess, faith in myself because of a lack of faith in others.

No, just click to expand, cuase I'm not going to bother with the peripheral shit to change it.

"This planet chose you for your birth place. Because this planet chose who where to give birth to you, and all your predecessors."

Help me out with what you are referring to as “this planet”. Is it just an entity made up of matter and dynamic relationships (like gravity and time).

Or are you saying the planet has a mentality of its own along with the ability to cause change and control the human species?

xx-zz-1.jpg

However we (humans) got here, it didn’t just happen. It is important that we keep searching for how it did happened. And it would not be logical (or proper science) to fail to consider the possibility of a “supreme intelligence” in that search.

xx-zz-3.jpg

Neural Networks:

Neurons – the brain’s thinking cells – are masters of communication. The secret is their long wiry axons (blue), designed to transmit messages at speeds of up to 120 metres per second.

It may be a message to retrieve a memory from another brain cell, an “ouch that was sharp” coming from a skin sensory cell, or a command from a motor neuron to move a muscle. Wired together by axons, our 100 billion neurons form the most complex circuit in the universe – one that allows us to think.

In this image we see axons from hundreds of newly formed brain cells wiring together. The orange stain shows newly deposited myelin, an insulator that coats the axons like plastic around a wire.

Image courtesy of Morley (University of Western Sydney), Woolley and Gilmour (University of New South Wales)

Reactions: BillM