OK, men, what's in your wallet?

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
[quote author=throb919 link=board=99;num=1064187223;start=20#31 date=09/24/03 at 20:44:49]C'mon, Monstro--bet you sport the unabridged version: 'The Official Larger Size Condom of the 1984 Olympics, Proudly Held in Los Angeles, California, in the United States of America...'[/quote]

'...Land of the Free, Home of the Brave, also the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence and men with dicks this sepudonuts-ly long.'

Pecker

(I'd kill for the Nobel Peace Prize.)

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Remember high school when it wasn't cool to carry a wallet unless it showed that tell-tale circle impressed through the leather?

;D

Pecker

(I used to be an airline pilot. I got fired because I kept locking the keys in the plane.)

headbang8:
  • Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation ATM card
  • Citibank PLUS ATM card
  • Yebisu Garden Place Electronic Key Card (programmed for the 30th floor, where I work)
  • Employee ID Card
  • Diners Club Card
  • American Express Card
  • Mastercard, issued by the Western Pacific Banking Corporation, Melbourne
  • Tokyo Subway SVC (2650 yen credit left)
  • Japan Rail East SVC (3200 yen left)
  • Membership Card, Tokyo American Club--the last hiding place for white Republicans in Asia!
  • Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer card (9200 miles, all earned on Virgin Atlantic)
  • Qantas Platinum Frequent Flyer/OneWorld Emerald Card (380,000 miles)
  • Alien Registration Card ("gaijin card") issued by Minato ward in Tokyo
  • Japanese Drivers License (exp 2006)
  • Cigna Global Cover travel insurance card
  • Starwood Preferred Guest card (zero points)
  • Marriott Rewards card (148 points)
  • Six Continents Hotels Privelege Card (zero points)
  • Avis Wizard card
  • Hertz #1 Club card
  • Tsutaya Culture Convenience Club Card (this is a video library)
  • Gowing's Club Card (Sydney department store for men--a treasure trove!
  • receipt from Gowing's for one pair of Blundestone boots
  • A John Martin's/David Jones credit card (an Adelaide department store)
  • a receipt for my passport from the Indian embassy, where they are holding it to issue a visitor's visa.  I always get nervous when I have to do something like that.
  • two receipts from my local pub, Mad Mulligan's.  The world's least Irish bar.
  • six taxi receipts
  • A receipt from the Ryu yakitori restaurant with a client's name written on the back so I can claim it as entertainment when I remember which company he works for
  • an ATM receipt for 5000 roubles (long story)
  • receipt for a duty-free watch from Shanghai Tang in Hong Kong airport
  • receipt for duty-free wine at Sydney Airport
  • 10,000 yen note
  • 2 Australian $10 notes, and an Australian $20 note. The first two a deep blue, the latter a red-orange, hence the expression "Bruce has just slapped a lobster down on the bar! Drinks all around!" Australian money is very stylish, made of a polymer plastic with a hologram that encodes the serial number, making it impossible to forge
  • US $20 bill.  I'm glad to hear via 7x6+c that Americans will get more colorful money.  Visitors to the USA (especially Australians) often complain that greenback denominations are hard to tell apart.
  • And, in a truly preposterous coincidence, a receipt from Harris Teeter at Friendly Center in Greensboro, NC.  I was staying with a friend in the Westerburg (?) neighbourhood in June and nipped in for some beer and BBQ supplies.

7x6andchg: Ok so this kind of fits in this thread -

I saw one of the new 20 dollar bills today. We have a branch of the Federal Reserve Bank in Minneapolis, which is where they start coming from...

Um...I can't say I like it. It's TOO colorful. The green is a deep, dark green, and the orange, while nice, is a shade darker than I'd imagined.

It looks like someone spilled bleach on it...and it was darker green to begin with.

Ah well...all in the name of progress and anti-counterfeiting...but our money looks Canadian now. :D
Perhaps that just means they were light years ahead of us in that regard.

As for it being a lobster? Well this thing looks more like an unripened mango. :D

7x6&C

sammygirly: You'll learn to love and appreciate the pretty money Paul.  It's not so bad.

Just pray they don't start issuing the $1 and $2 coins like we have for regular circulation. I'm still getting used to that one.

da_blissmachine: * ATM card

* 2 phone cards

* campus cash card

* Public bus card

* insurance card

* local video rental card

* TaeKwonDo Dan certificate (international black belt)

* Suncoast replay card

* University printer card

* local Indian restaurant card

* Blockbuster card

* Minnesota state ID

7x6andchg: I'm not saying it is bad - it's just MORE than I thought...more colors, more stuff on it...pretty in its own way, but NOT a good ole American greenback. ;D

7x6&C

longtimelurker: [quote author=sammygirly link=board=99;num=1064187223;start=40#45 date=10/13/03 at 15:55:03]You'll learn to love and appreciate the pretty money Paul.  It's not so bad.

Just pray they don't start issuing the $1 and $2 coins like we have for regular circulation.  I'm still getting used to that one.
[/quote]

Must disagree - one of the most annoying things with US money (apart all the notes looking exactly the same) is that the $1 bills take up SO much space in your wallet! Coins are just so much more convenient - I doubt there are many other first-world countries that still have notes in such small denominations.

sammygirly: You've never had a wallet full of twoonies and loonies have ya?? ~laughs~

Feel like I'm carrying a gold bar in my purse half the time.

longtimelurker: [quote author=sammygirly link=board=99;num=1064187223;start=40#49 date=10/13/03 at 16:03:22]You've never had a wallet full of twoonies and loonies have ya?? ~laughs~

Feel like I'm carrying a gold bar in my purse half the time.
[/quote]

Well we've had £1 and £2 coins for ages now (£1 notes went out of circulation in the 80's I think), and I think 5x£1 coins are a lot less bulky than 5 tattered, dog-eared notes. It's just annoying having a huge bulging wallet cutting off the blood supply to your leg (esp. when what's making it huge and bulging would only be enough to buy a pizza!).]

7x6andchg: Actually - truth be told, here's what I think the US should do:

Eliminate the $1 bill.
Bring back that nice little $1 coin.
Redesign (to match the others) the $2 and start issuing THAT again.

George Washington already has his face on the quarter. Surely he wouldn't be offended if we went with Sacagawea.

7x6&C

headbang8: [quote author=longtimelurker link=board=99;num=1064187223;start=40#48 date=10/13/03 at 15:59:12]

Must disagree - one of the most annoying things with US money (apart all the notes looking exactly the same) is that the $1 bills take up SO much space in your wallet! Coins are just so much more convenient - I doubt there are many other first-world countries that still have notes in such small denominations.[/quote]

Even worse are countries that have coins in small denominations.  

When Australia converted fro pounds, shillings and pence to dollars and cents in 1966, htey had 1, 2 and 5 cent pieces that more or less matched the old penny, tuppence and sixpence in size and weight.  

In around thirty years inflation made them useless, so the smallest coin you can get now is a 5 cent piece.  

It doesn't mean prices always end in a 5 or zero, rather that when you get to the cash register, the clerk rounds your change up or down.  Bank acounts and credit card charges are calculated to the final cent, though.

Australians are very progressive with their money, you know.

One of the (many) vexing things about living in Japan is that not only do we have one yen coins (worth a approx  1 US penny) but everthing is calculated in such a denomination.  It's like labelling something which costs $50 as 5000 cents.  

I thnk it was John Waters who said that nowadays pennies are useless, except to insult waiters.

7x6andchg: Well and don't even get me started on vending machines LTL...

Trying to get one to take a dollar bill is almost Sisyphusean in its inducement of premature dementia...plus coins last for 30 years instead of 18 months.

Every denomonation of the new US currency will apparently be DIFFERENT colors - so the $20 is the only orange one.

They also got rid of the little oval around President Jackson's head - so that is, I think, what makes me think it looks Canadian...the head is just OUT there.

7x6&C

da_blissmachine: I'd personally like to see more half-dollars in circulation. In the not too distant future, it's possible that coins and bills will be obsolete altogether and everyone will just use digital credit

7x6andchg: Actually Bliss - I was just discussing this with someone the other day.

I don't think it will ever happen.
Too many people like the feel of cash in their hands.
Too many people don't trust checks and credit cards, and even in this day and age people don't trust computers completely.

They've been saying we're going to a cashless society since the 70s. I don't see it coming anytime soon.

Just MHO
7x6&C

da_blissmachine: and then there's always the joy of finding a quarter on the ground.....

7x6andchg: Or a $10 in your winter coat that you forgot about since last year!

How is one going to find digital credits in one's winter coat, I ask you? :D

da_blissmachine: yes and it would be too easy to lose your life savings to a magnet

jerkin4-10: hmmm...gold debit card
regular debit card
1 visa
2 mastercards
carwash punchcard
medical insurance card
dental insurance card
frys club card
bashas card
costco card
jamba juice punchcard
steamers seafood discount card...expired
massage chicks card...hmmm feeling achey
arizona drivers license
american family insurance card

lotta stuff for my money clip untraditional non-folding wallet...