OK, so I can hang with "lol", but.....

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I will never, ever, ever get anywhere near a lmao. Don't even start with ROTFLMAO.

I'm sure I can count, on one tightly-closed fist, the number of times, since the www was born, that I've "laughed my ass off" after reading a post on an internet message board.

A knowing smile? You bet.
A wide grin punctuated by a happy snort? My funny friends engender these on occasion.
A spontaneous giggle? Fairly rare, but it happens.
Laughing my ass off? Sorry, that just doesn't happen while I'm reading cybertext.

And, has anyone, anywhere, anytime, ever, in the history of the known universe, read some interwebby chat prose and fallen into rolling on the floor and laughing his or her ass off? Please.

I loathe these acronyms, I get irritable whenever I see them used, and a baby turtle suffers everytime the offending letters are typed in their sacrilegious forms. Please stop.

[**Rant over**]

Feel free to ventilate your own acronymical irritations here if it will help cleanse the collective websoul.

D_Ricky Dickardo

Loved Member
Media
I am so with you on this thread. Every time I see that someone had written LOL, I think, "is that as creative as you can get?"
I prefer HAHA or HEHE as is most appropriate.
Then again, the last time I actually laughed was in the mid 90s, so...

cdunstan1

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I am so with you on this thread. Every time I see that someone had written LOL, I think, "is that as creative as you can get?"
I prefer HAHA or HEHE as is most appropriate.
Then again, the last time I actually laughed was in the mid 90s, so...

That was kind of funny man! LOL.......

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I don't think those terms are meant to be taken literally either IRL or on the www. I have never laughed my ass off or gotten down on the floor and rolled around because something or somebody was humorous. But I have used them and similar colloquialisms to express different levels of having my funny bone tickled. I don't use them much on the net, but it doesn't bother me if someone else does.

LOL is often used to express derision for another person's point. Similar in meaning to the classic, :rolleyes:

D_Percy_Prettywillie

Account Disabled
Media
I agree with Vince. Laboring under the impression that those acronyms are written to be interpreted literally is a bit silly. While I have no love of the degradation of the English language that has permeated (dominated) the internet I muchprefer "lol" or "lmao" to the use of "Hahahahahahahahahaha!" or "hehehehehehehehe." They both strike me as sort of lazy but at least the acronyms take up a relatively small amount of space. Whether you're actually expressing the level of humor you found in something or being disdainful of a point, I think they're better than the alternatives.

JSZ

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have a loud and hearty laugh and a pretty evil sense of humor. But I detest LOL; it's just a bedrock of insipidity to me.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Old school def: Lolling means one's tongue is limply hanging out of one's mouth; as in: a catatonic state.

Some women's galleries here may make me LOL. I cannot deny it.

hey kids: What is the correct acronym for a post that causes drinking fluids being unceremoniously expelled through one's nostrils?

Last edited:

HappyBoi

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
LOLz, you're just mad because you can't hang with the lingo. :poke:

eSpeak outlines the great divide between generations :wall:

Hiii Fiiiiiive! *Borat-voice* :biggrin1:

The most annoying thing of all, is people who get annoyed over pointless things.

Besides, old folks aren't supposed to use E-language anyway. :tongue:

I've seen a lot of parents and such that believe LoL stands for 'Lots of Love', which is just so cute!

SyddyKitty

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've seen a lot of parents and such that believe LoL stands for 'Lots of Love', which is just so cute!

Aw, really? That is precious!

I'm a child raised in the early days of the internet. Aside from asl, lol was the only acronym I ran across in those days. Those, along with emoticons were the 'language' of the net I took notice of. I suppose I'm an odd mix - I text in fully worded sentences and litter them with emoticons. ;p They're more expressive anyway. >_>

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The most annoying thing of all, is people who get annoyed over pointless things.

Yup, but it can be a fine hobby.

Besides, old folks aren't supposed to use E-language anyway. :tongue:

Thwack.

Actually, I use LOL and its variants when I want to go slumming.
I never take them seriously and they don't bother me.
They sometimes help to establish just the tone you want ... not a high tone, not a very smart tone, but sometimes just the apposite tone.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Old school def: Lolling means one's tongue is limply hanging out of one's mouth; as in: a catatonic state.

Some women's galleries here may make me LOL. I cannot deny it.

hey kids: What is the correct acronym for a post that causes drinking fluids being unceremoniously expelled through one's nostrils?

MMMWW (made milk moustache wrong way)

Now, now grandpa....let's get you back to the home. We'll get you some jello and if you calm down I'll ask one of the nurses to give you a sponge bath, ok? :biggrin1:

atlclgurl

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I know someone who (literally) says "I D K":cool: (textspeak for I don't know, for those not in the know).

And, no, this is not a teenager, she's a full grown adult!

:confused:

SyddyKitty

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I know someone who (literally) says "I D K":cool: (textspeak for I don't know, for those not in the know).

And, no, this is not a teenager, she's a full grown adult!

:confused:

I blame that phone commercial for popularizing it enough for the general public. .-. The infamous "IDK, my BFF Jill." commercial.