OK, so I can hang with "lol", but.....

Patchos

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I will never, ever, ever get anywhere near a lmao. Don't even start with ROTFLMAO.

I'm sure I can count, on one tightly-closed fist, the number of times, since the www was born, that I've "laughed my ass off" after reading a post on an internet message board.

A knowing smile? You bet.
A wide grin punctuated by a happy snort? My funny friends engender these on occasion.
A spontaneous giggle? Fairly rare, but it happens.
Laughing my ass off? Sorry, that just doesn't happen while I'm reading cybertext.

And, has anyone, anywhere, anytime, ever, in the history of the known universe, read some interwebby chat prose and fallen into rolling on the floor and laughing his or her ass off? Please.

I loathe these acronyms, I get irritable whenever I see them used, and a baby turtle suffers everytime the offending letters are typed in their sacrilegious forms. Please stop.

[**Rant over**]

Feel free to ventilate your own acronymical irritations here if it will help cleanse the collective websoul.

U mad?

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
So, now I've had a chance to really think about textspeak. I do think there's a time and place for it's use. I think I'm an adequate writer. It's important that I write well as a good part of my job is as a writer; however, when I'm texting, I'm going to use text speak. The simple reason? I have very old thumbs and they get tired - I am going to use short cuts.

And yes, I 'lol' a lot. I think it's charming, but likely others think I'm nuts. Do I 'rotflmao'? Well, a couple of times - but that has more to do with my lack of coordination than anything else. Can't laugh, read texts/posts and roll back in my office chair at the same time. MickeyLee really should come with a warning label.

I try not to use textspeak in posts, but sometimes it slips in. Oh well. If it does, I encourage you to locate me and give me a darn good spanking. I'll never learn if you don't! LOL ROTFLMAO

B_Nicodemous

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So, now I've had a chance to really think about textspeak. I do think there's a time and place for it's use. I think I'm an adequate writer. It's important that I write well as a good part of my job is as a writer; however, when I'm texting, I'm going to use text speak. The simple reason? I have very old thumbs and they get tired - I am going to use short cuts.

And yes, I 'lol' a lot. I think it's charming, but likely others think I'm nuts. Do I 'rotflmao'? Well, a couple of times - but that has more to do with my lack of coordination than anything else. Can't laugh, read texts/posts and roll back in my office chair at the same time. MickeyLee really should come with a warning label.

I try not to use textspeak in posts, but sometimes it slips in. Oh well. If it does, I encourage you to locate me and give me a darn good spanking. I'll never learn if you don't! LOL ROTFLMAO
This is why I loves ya! Lol!

I actually like LOL! It has it's place if I am typing something in casual and friendly manner. I feel it gives a better example of what talking to me is like, as i will, chuckle, giggle and such throughout a convo. LOL's derivatives give you an insight as to how humorous I find a post. And i have ROTFLMAO IRL! Usually only my sis or my guy can say something that sets me off into a "i can't stand" laughing mess. I will end up on the floor, thou maybe not exactly rolling around on it. More useless jiggling slug on the floor.

I also get crap though for using emoticons, :rolleyes:

Intrigue

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't mind using text speak occasionally, I'll do it only once in a while. I write whole sentences when I text because my thumbs are jets capable of Mach12 O.O. But that's just me. I DESPISE people that use text speak in real conversation. I'll be telling a joke that elicits laughter and instead of that melodious sound I love I hear "Lol that is so funny!". Really? Your using a shortcut to make something take longer? You've not only stabbed the language, you've done it for no benefit whatsoever. But I've been told I'm a grandpa. I'm not even thirty and I listen to the 40's station,(amongst others) and complain about peoples music... I think I was just born in the wrong century. (I love tech, but hate the way in which much of it is used)

Last edited:

Intrigue

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This is why I loves ya! Lol!

I actually like LOL! It has it's place if I am typing something in casual and friendly manner. I feel it gives a better example of what talking to me is like, as i will, chuckle, giggle and such throughout a convo. LOL's derivatives give you an insight as to how humorous I find a post. And i have ROTFLMAO IRL! Usually only my sis or my guy can say something that sets me off into a "i can't stand" laughing mess. I will end up on the floor, thou maybe not exactly rolling around on it. More useless jiggling slug on the floor.

I also get crap though for using emoticons, :rolleyes:

I love emoticons because they convey emotion in a medium that is notorious for the lack of or the misinterpretation of it. So smiley away!^_^
:eek:uttahere:

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
And, has anyone, anywhere, anytime, ever, in the history of the known universe, read some interwebby chat prose and fallen into rolling on the floor and laughing his or her ass off? Please.

Well I definitely LOLed at damnyouautocorrect, a lot of proper out loud laughter. I did actually come close to a PMSL a few times too. :redface:

But no, I've never fallen off the chair - but then my chair has sides.

I love emoticons because they convey emotion in a medium that is notorious for the lack of or the misinterpretation of it. So smiley away!^_^
:eek:uttahere:

:buttkick:

:werd:

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't know, I've found that the denigration and completely deliberate use of abbreviations in all kinds communication is only tacit of those who have no real use of spelling anymore, or who don't know HOW TO.

Frankly, I don't like using it, but it seems my friends/family, etc. seem too willing to use it to be lazy.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I don't know, I've found that the denigration and completely deliberate use of abbreviations in all kinds communication is only tacit of those who have no real use of spelling anymore, or who don't know HOW TO.

Frankly, I don't like using it, but it seems my friends/family, etc. seem too willing to use it to be lazy.

O pls! Srsly??

OMFG!

:wink:

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hmmm....

Many (not all) of the responses seem to have failed to note that the title of the thread itself indicates my being ok with "lol". It was lmao and that other abomination I was fussing about. And I'm not casting wholesale aspersions on textspeak or abbreviations or other corruptions of the language. My feeling is that these things have their time and place. Abbreviations in a hurried text seem acceptable. Making "Ur" one's default usage of the words "your" and "you're" seems quite unacceptable. To everything a time and place. Except for ROTFLMAO.

BTW, as to "lol", I should explain that when I use it, and in fact when I "receive" it from another person, I don't actually take the meaning of it to be "laugh(ing) out loud". Rather, I accept it as a shorthand acknowledgment that something humorous or ironic has occurred or been stated.

trunksisba

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I don't know what a lot of the text words mean. I know the simple stuff. Like lol and wtf. I only recently learned what FML meant. I use complete sentences and real words when I text. It irks me when someone doesn't. Especially when I can't even understand what they're saying cause it's so...jumbled up.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I blame that phone commercial for popularizing it enough for the general public. .-. The infamous "IDK, my BFF Jill." commercial.

I've used BFF conversationally before, but only for the irony factor.

Around here, I probably overuse IRL and IMO :redface:, but I never use IMHO (at least I think not). Somehow they don't scream the insipid vacuousness of LOL.

HappyBoi

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Personally, IDGAF but WTFE.
I agree that it is a bit overdone...and when i see this kind of stuff in work related emails, it MMW (makes me wonder) 0_o

I don't get all the fuzz, or? :eek: *IDGAF.

I saw a new one in a movie just a couple days ago. Probably for an even younger crowd, like.. kids.
PWOS = Parent watching over shoulder. They know how to alert their friends without their parents knowing. :p