Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Earlier, Oh Yeah mentioned the Turkish "nazar bonjuk", or "evil eye."
I was in a hurry to leave for an appointment so didn't comment at the time,
but it got me to thinking what charms that I use without thinking about them.

There are so many charms that we humans use.....one I have had since a child is a
Native American "Dream Pillow." It was given to me by our next door neighbor, who
was a Cherokee Princess and the mother of one of my best friends. It's a small, 5" x 5"
cloth square bag filled with aromatic and medicinal herbs that you hang on your bedpost
to keep the bad dreams away during your sleep. It lost it's delightful aroma years ago
but I still have it. Every so many years, I purchase a new one, and the last I bought
about 2 years ago at the Native American Museum here in NYC. I love the smell and
it is a comfort....a bit of home.
It hasn't kept my noisy card playing ghosts away though....unfortunately. :sad:

On my chain with an Orthodox Cross, I also have a Greek "evil eye" which we call in
Greek..."kako mati." Mati is eye in Greek. It is something that, although I wear it,
I'm not even aware of it anymore. :shrug: The Eyes Have It: The Evil Eye in Greece

The "evil eye" is an old charm and is found all over the Middle East, the Mediterranean,
and in almost all religions.

Last edited:

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
...There are so many charms that we humans use.....one I have had since a child is a
Native American "Dream Pillow"... It's a small, 5" x 5"
cloth square bag filled with aromatic and medicinal herbs that you hang on your bedpost
to keep the bad dreams away during your sleep.

I made something like that years ago, except it was to keep harmful forces/powers/intelligences out of the house. I hung it from the curtain rod in the living room, behind the curtain and out of sight, but doing its work. I can't remember what I put in it, thought.

If you break a mirror, sweep up the shards and mirror dust and put them in a clear glass jar, then place the jar in a sunny window. Keep it dusted regularly, and it will prevent harmful forces from entering your dwelling.

D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

Account Disabled
Media
I made something like that years ago, except it was to keep harmful forces/powers/intelligences out of the house. I hung it from the curtain rod in the living room, behind the curtain and out of sight, but doing its work. I can't remember what I put in it, thought.

If you break a mirror, sweep up the shards and mirror dust and put them in a clear glass jar, then place the jar in a sunny window. Keep it dusted regularly, and it will prevent harmful forces from entering your dwelling.

Keep all the mirrors in your house clean too eh?

To the OP: Glad your dogs are ok! Must've been something going to happen to them if that was your first thought. Or maybe something was going to happen to you and with the dogs inside you were safe? Guess we'l never know.

We might. There's another possibility I have to investigate.

Darn barking dogs. :irked: My stalkerazzi manual swore that if I gave them Greenies and raw sirloin they wouldn't bark and then I could get closer to you. :wink:

No such luck. I wish it was that.

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
Sometimes, it's from unresolved issues in our past. Sometimes, it's because we miss them dearly, and we wish there were still with us. Sometimes, there is something disturbing happening in our current life. Sometimes, we shouldn't have eaten that meatball sub before bedtime.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
There have been so many instances through out my life. A presence here in my home that would not go away, turns out it stemmed from a psychic attack of sorts from a former neighbor who had issues with me relating to money, jobs, jealousy.

Others were voices I heard that were not happy spirits that had to be banished from my personal living space via smudge stick and prayer.

I have a Turkish Nazar Bonjuk in the front window of my home. I hesitated to even place it in the window as I was brought up in a christian home. The whole idea of a Nazar Bonjuk in my window is something my parents would have keeled over even thinking about. The reality of it all is...there are times when one must fight fire with fire. I blessed the Nazar Bonjuk with holy water before hanging it up. Not only is the cobalt glass beautiful to look at when the sun shines through it but I feel that I did the right thing for myself. My home is peaceful now as a result.

I don't care what anyone calls superstition, there are forces at work in the world no one can explain much less deny their existence. You don't know until you have been there and I have been there many many times.

I need to put one of those Turkish Nazar Bonjuk on the desktop of my PC so I do not get any evil spirits and any viruses on my PC. :biggrin1:

devron

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I've never hand an experience like that but I have had very real, very vivid dreams about things happening, then weeks, months and sometimes years later, they actually happen in real life pretty much exactly how I dreamed them. This happens from conversations to accidents. I dont know if it's coincidence, self-fulfilling prophecy or what, but it's definitely a freaky feeling when it happens.

D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

Account Disabled
Media
I've never hand an experience like that but I have had very real, very vivid dreams about things happening, then weeks, months and sometimes years later, they actually happen in real life pretty much exactly how I dreamed them. This happens from conversations to accidents. I dont know if it's coincidence, self-fulfilling prophecy or what, but it's definitely a freaky feeling when it happens.

I get this too. Are your dreams so vivid that you can remember information from all five of your senses? Do you dream often?

Cowabanga

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I rented a place and I was having trouble sleeping in. In my dream I hear a menacing vioce and a woman pleading for help. Several nights in a row, and wanted me to leave. I have never experience anything like it, and I couldn't afford to move. I felt like I was being bullied. So I started laughing and calling the voice out as being a coward. one of my frame drop off from the wall. I was determine to not show my fear, and called him a baby that lost his temper, and told him I am looking forward to whatever else you going to do. Please stay and show me what a retarded ghost you are. after a couple of days he moved on. Then, I ask one of the tenents in the other half who lived there before me. It turn out the guy was in prison for raping a woman after he broke into her place. The Guy was in prison and the girl was at another location, so who's voice did I hear? was the energy of the event become an entity of itself? Nobody died there and yet I felt exactly what took place in my apartment.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I get this too. Are your dreams so vivid that you can remember information from all five of your senses? Do you dream often?

You weren't asking me but I'll answer anyway: yes. It raises an interesting question for me about how we know the difference between the memory of a dream and a real memory. I have very clear and detailed memories of some of my dreams. They feel just a strong--sometimes stronger--than memories of actual events, but somehow I know that they are memories of a dream, and not memories of an actual experience.

...was the energy of the event become an entity of itself? Nobody died there and yet I felt exactly what took place in my apartment.

One of the theories about ghosts is that they are not actual entities continuing to exist in a place; that is, they are not the souls of people who died trapped on the physical plane. Rather, they are more like "holographic impressions" left on a place of past events, usually of powerful, traumatic, or violent occurences. That's why when visiting the site of a battle, some people can hear the guns and canons, and smell the smoke and gunpowder, etc. It explains why some ghosts repeat the same actions over and over; you're not witnessing an intelligent being that possesses independent thought and freedom of action, you're witnessing the "recording" on an event. It also explains (sort of) the existence of ghost trains and ghost ships.

On the other hand, according to many people's accounts, some ghosts do seem to have thought and be capable of changing their behavior and interacting with the environment. Such ghosts require a different explanation.

Arthur C. Clarke, known for debunking tales of paranormal and psychic phenomena, believed that some ghosts were real. That is, he believed that the people who told of encountering ghosts really had seen something. Throughout history and all over the world, too many credible people have experienced such things. But he believed there was an as-yet-undiscovered scientific explanation for such phenomena.

Cowabanga

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I felt silly doing what I did talking to myself, but I felt compell to negotiate of what I heard in my mind to work thru this entity that was taking my sleep away from me. Could easily be said I was halucinating the entity, but I felt their presence of negative energy in the room. It was only when I found out that something tragic really did happen in the room the way I saw it in my head that it began to make my hair stand up.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I saw the angel Moroni in a Pep Boys and was told to forget all the religions and to start my own. I was further instructed to go to Starbucks with my lap top and connect to the WiFi where a new Church would be revealed to me. I accidentally spilled the vente of latte expensivo on my keyboard. Couldn't connect.

Undoubtedly the funniest post in this thread. Congratulations. You'll receive your personalized Oliver Cowdry license plates via regular mail in about two weeks. :biggrin1::biggrin1:

D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

Account Disabled
Media
You weren't asking me but I'll answer anyway: yes. It raises an interesting question for me about how we know the difference between the memory of a dream and a real memory. I have very clear and detailed memories of some of my dreams. They feel just a strong--sometimes stronger--than memories of actual events, but somehow I know that they are memories of a dream, and not memories of an actual experience.

I think I'd like to pick your brain a bit more about this. I get dreams that are extremely vivid and remember them when I wake up. I write these ones down, and they come true. Some of them I'm sure I control the outcome, but sometimes I'll be in a dream with a friend. For example, I was helping a friend move in my dream. We hadn't spoken in about a month, and as it turns out, she moved into a place I've never been physically but I described it to her almost perfectly. Prior to that, she didn't even tell me she was moving.

Is that like what you get, or do you get really intense moments of déjà-vu? Or are you having dreams so real that they could be real memories?