Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Hahaha! I love the responses! I agree that what people say is more important, but 'shorely' in an environ such as this spelling and grammar is important to minimize potential misunderstandings?
Oh, never mind me, it's just a personal irk that I had to get off my chest.

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
Hahaha! I love the responses! I agree that what people say is more important, but 'shorely' in an environ such as this spelling and grammar is important to minimize potential misunderstandings?
Oh, never mind me, it's just a personal irk that I had to get off my chest.

Great thread mastur, but i still don't get what my Grammar has to do with anything, she is 98 years old. :biggrin1:

Mastur

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I see a lot of people sounding really smart when they aren't saying anything worth reading. They try so hard to use words most people have never seen or be so verbose you lose the thought of what they are saying midway through the sentence.

And there are a lot of them on here! Geez...!

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
When i first came here i made the mistake of correcting some guys spelling that was in the thread name he created. I was a little snarky about it for some reason. Come to find out, English wasnt his first language but i had no idea. Why did i not notice? Because he spoke English so well that it never dawned on me he might not be an English speaker from birth.

I ate my words because when i thought of how poorly i would be speaking his native tongue, that a typo or misspelling here or there would be an excellent job for me. This guy was doing a superb job and instead of valuing the fact i could understand what he was trying to say to me i embarassed myself correcting him.

He ultimately quit posting because other people were correcting him also and he felt beat down and that his language skills were subpar.

The first thing i notice people doing in an argument around here is correcting each others grammar and placement of apostrophes. I pretty much avoid them when typing on the net because i can type faster without thinking of them. It gets old having the same holier than thou people correct you instead of responding to what you wrote.

My father is a horrible speller, but a genius in math and science. He comprehends things that my mind can only imagine. I have skills such as playing the piano by ear, talents in art, etc. But i ranked 1 from the very bottom of my highschool graduating class. Not because i wasnt intelligent. So grammar says nothing about how i've managed to get through life.

I might put on my grammar hat, so to speak, if i am writing to a client or something. But on the internet on a chatboard its not as important to me. So is the same for many many others around here.

We all have things that get on our nerves. People who dont make paragraphs makes me suicidal trying to read their shit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mastur

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
That is very true, Mantis. I agree.
I 'make allowances' when it is apparent that spelling/grammar is not someone's strongest suit. And with shortened words too. I guess my gripe is with otherwise good use of English being marred by, what I perceive as sloppiness, i.e. 'then' instead of 'than'.
I'm going to stop ranting now and further enjoy the responses.

Last edited:

dj30905

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How is it possible that adult, educated people (with English as first or only language) don't seem to know the difference between the words 'then' and 'than'?!
And don't even get me started on those apparently linguistic toffees like: 'their/they're/there',
'to/too',
'of/off' etc.
(please note the correct spelling... NOT ect.)
It would seem like most are experts when it comes to anything homo, except homophones...

I've seen your/you're misused several times...Also quite a few spelling differences between American and British English words.

Mastur

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
...Also quite a few spelling differences between American and British English words.

Yes, I'm reminded of how Professor Higgins in 'My Fair Lady' lamented the fact that in America "...they haven't spoken it (English) for years!"

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
English isn't my first language . I commit several mistakes sometimes in posts and I don't care if people think me as a dumb because of that.
I personally concentrate on content in posts rather than grammar . My first language is Spanish so I think mostly in Spanish .

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As long as they're making sense I don't greatly care, it's an internet forum not a university thesis. In the real world, when it comes to work or more formal communications you should hold to the rules of grammar, make sure you've spelled every word correctly but I don't think of posting on an internet forum as writing per se, I think of it as a written representation of how you would verbally represent your thoughts.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
How is it possible that adult, educated people (with English as first or only language) don't seem to know the difference between the words 'then' and 'than'?!
And don't even get me started on those apparently linguistic toffees like: 'their/they're/there',
'to/too',
'of/off' etc.
(please note the correct spelling... NOT ect.)
It would seem like most are experts when it comes to anything homo, except homophones...
That's cool. You're allowed one every now and then. Just remember: the majority of these louts just couldn't give a fuck and prefer to remain ignorant. There's a small group who think they're being cool by vandalizing the language, and they're never going to change either.

In my book, non-native English speakers get a pass. I'm flattered that they even try to speak my language, and am willing to help them improve if they're interested. If not, it's still hella cool that they're trying at all.

For the people who grew up speaking English, there's no excuse. But I repeat myself. Again.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
We muricans don't have the best public education system, it's been gradually deteriorating for decades. I think that especially younger generations have become reliant on spell-check, which doesn't usually distinguish between words like then/than there/they're etc. Alot has been lost in our culture that makes me a little sad, the ability to communicate well is one, but not anywhere near the top of the list. Sad, but what are you going to do? I don't see things changing anytime soon. It is what it is. Their, I said it.

p.s. I'm a little perplexed how your 'homo' comment relates to your rant.

. . . It would seem like most are experts when it comes to anything homo, except homophones...

Last edited:

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
English isn't my native language either, but I still try to write things as correct as possible. But now with this thread I even have my doubt if this sentence is correct :rolleyes:
I can be bothered with people correcting me, but on the other side I'm happy to learn more from others.
But what I do hate is that when you are in a discussion on this board, one of the first things they use against you is the fact that my English is bad. And that is simply because they don't know another argument to use against me I guess. But it still sucks, because I really do my best to make myself understandable. I'm already quite proud that I use "they're" , "there" and "their" correctly.

These days my English is a bit different then it was a year ago. These days I'm talking with people from the UK that use slang to me, and I'm starting to use that too. Like would become wud, sorry is soz, etc.
But one thing that bothers me is on my mind. The fact that so many people who speak English as a native language using the word 'wierd' instead of the correct word 'weird'. :wink:

But you guys can laugh with our faults, but I would even laugh harder when I saw you guys writing in Dutch :biggrin:

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Pieter - The next time someone makes fun of your English, just tell them to have a look at your gallery. That should shut them up.

p.s. I found only one minor error in your post, so kudos. If you wish to pm me, I will happily tutor you in private. :cool:

Last edited: