ok...who has an alcoholic in their family?

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
I have a couple of cousins that are alcoholics. A cousin that is a drug addict. My dad was a heavy drinker but quit just before my parents got married. He kept the alcoholic personality. He is still destructive to peeps.

Labionica

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
My mum and brother were both alcoholics, i say were, sadly they never recovered, they both died due to alcoholism. My mum was 40 and my brother was 36. My mum and brother both suffered so much, emotionally, psychologically and physically. I havent had the best of times, caring for an alcoholic parent can be pretty undescribable at times but she is gone, is out of pain and has hopefully finally found the peace she was searching for, and i hope my lovely brother has too.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
They are sad is what they are. Being of Celtic and Cherokee ancestry, I don't touch the stuff. Both are genetically predisposed to alcoholism.

See I used to think they were sad, back when I still had the patience to pity them, now I just can't be bothered any more, they're not going to change and they like things the way they are, good for them, I just find it tedious nowadays.

I drink socially but am a such a lightweigth, I enjoy fine wines and spirits for their flavours, and the odd refreshing beer once in a blue moon, but absolutely hate getting drunk. I think it's safe to say I've dodged the bullet.

B_lrgeggs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I can only imagine how difficult dealing with a family member who has a substance addiction issue. How do you decide what to do to help without
that person taking you down as well. I need a hug.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
nobody blood related.

My sister has married 2 of them
my sister did that too!
so hard...i wanted to kill him and slap her.
fortunately she just left him.
See I used to think they were sad, back when I still had the patience to pity them, now I just can't be bothered any more, they're not going to change and they like things the way they are, good for them, I just find it tedious nowadays.
^ i'm at that point now.

jpk338

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
the disease of alcoholism is not pretty. my mom died from the disease and i almost did. i have been sober for 31 yrs in aa. it hasn't been easy ,but i have great friends to help me along. if someone is in your life who has a problem,and they won't let you help them , then all that you can do is to say a prayer for them. i didn't take advice,but when i got to be sick and tired of being sick and tired i asked for help. as i said it wasn't easy, but it was worth it. all the best to you and god bless

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
thanks, tiger.
trouble is that she started drinking again precisely because she is sick and tired. i think maybe she just wasn't dying fast enough for it to be good drama, as harsh as that sounds.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Most of my dad's family are either alocholics, religious or both. The church has an alcohol-free option when it comes to communion wine because so many of its members are recovering alcoholics.

I'm a little concerned about my own drinking, because I do put away a fair amount of the stuff on a regular basis, but I don't "need" a drink. I don't actually crave it and I can get by without thinking about alcohol quite happily, but when I do drink, it's a similar pattern to my alcholic relatives - if I have more than two drinks, I want more.

jjsuperbird

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is a good thread. Thanks for starting it Dolfette.

I grew up in an Irish alcoholic family. Lots of fighting, verbal and physical abuse; you never knew, coming home from school, what you might face on any given day.

It was the anger and uncertainty of what you would face that was the hardest. My parents always said they 'loved us kids' but it sure didn't feel like love some times.

Bbucko appreciate your replies. Sounds like you have thought about this and know of what you speak...

Tiger8 sounds like you have broken out of the cycle... good on you.

Ren69 thanks for sharing and hope you are looking forward not backward.

onan mann I loved your reply to lrgeggs. Humour is a great healer... and if people don't like that... fuck'm if they can't take a joke.:smile:

The thing that is really cool about this sight is the "S" in LPSG... Support.

I did find a 'smilie' that might work here... a group hug .:grouphug:

Okay enough of that touchie feelie shit... Tell us why you raised the question Dolfette

I love the art pictures by the way :fing02:

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Okay enough of that touchie feelie shit... Tell us why you raised the question Dolfette

I love the art pictures by the way :fing02:
mother is back on the piss. trawled up a few memories.

and thanks :wink:
Al-Anon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please go to Al-Anon !!!!!!!!!!
nope. it's not my problem.