Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I don't think that is really an issue. If you go through old threads, the original names are still the same in quotes (since it doesn't pull the name from the sql database after it is posted, just when you press quote). So with some diligence you can find out what someone's name was changed too, assuming they posted enough. I just pointed it out partly because I couldn't help myself, but also I don't think the user who requests the deletion gets to pick the new user name.

So if my name were changed to something else, like TheFlyingMoses, you quoting me would still say Pendlum etc.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't think that is really an issue. If you go through old threads, the original names are still the same in quotes (since it doesn't pull the name from the sql database after it is posted, just when you press quote). So with some diligence you can find out what someone's name was changed too, assuming they posted enough. I just pointed it out partly because I couldn't help myself, but also I don't think the user who requests the deletion gets to pick the new user name.

So if my name were changed to something else, like TheFlyingMoses, you quoting me would still say Pendlum etc.

Sorry I could not resist!

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Unless you do what nude did and manually change the pulled name in the quote code. :tongue:

I don't think I'll ever change my user name, I'm too stubborn and attached to it. :tongue:

Also, welcome back Notthe7.

Notthe7

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Whoops, didn't mean to post that! I'll retry that one...

Everyone: A real pleasure to hear things are the way I thought they would be..
People banned, dicks still swinging, the sexy, intelligent people still scurrying around in the dark corners of LPSG. Lmfao.

Books: Finally read American Psycho (after being in love with the movie for years), Geek Love, and re-read the Great Gatsby.

I started villa incognito but got rather bored.

I need help on my next read.

Still trekking through school (still pre-law)

Still broke

But I'm QUITE happy.

Fucking A, right?

Mule

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
No, I haven't. Mind if I get you to give me a little blurb about it?

It essentially tells the story of Afghanistan's history over the past 30 years through the lives of two women. Of course that summary does not do the novel justice, as it is a heart-wrenchingly honest account of how many women suffer under extremism and live all or much of their lives without hope. While the desperation and brutality in some parts does not make for an easy read, the beautiful prose remains accessible throughout and the pace keeps you turning pages long after you should have gone to sleep for the night.

It should be required reading for anyone who has ever dismissed the people of another country as "beyond help", "not worth our time", or something as bigoted and ignorant as "damn ragheads who just want to kill one another". It humanizes the people immersed in a foreign culture and trapped by circumstance more than any other book I have ever read.

Notthe7

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow, sounds absolutely like something I would enjoy reading. My closet friend in high school was Afghan. Her parents escaped Afghanistan, fleeing to Pakistan during the Russian invasion. I'm actually going to run out today and purchase it... or see if maybe the public library has it.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes, I admire the way he writes.
You should give his first novel, This Side of Paradise, a try -- if you can get through it. It reads as if it was written in sections by several different people. Fitzgerald seems to have had no consistent idea of what sort of novel he was trying to write. It amazes me that it gained him fame.

There are some very good stories in Flappers and Philosophers and some rather ineptly executed ones.

Mule

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Wow, sounds absolutely like something I would enjoy reading. My closet friend in high school was Afghan. Her parents escaped Afghanistan, fleeing to Pakistan during the Russian invasion. I'm actually going to run out today and purchase it... or see if maybe the public library has it.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it when you're done.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it when you're done.
Another fine novelist who writes about that part of the world and is more accessible than many people give him credit for, is Salman Rushdie.

In particular, I am thinking of "Shalimar the Clown". Set in New Delhi, Los Angeles, WW2 Europe and most of all Kashmir. It's a story of a deep love gone fatally wrong, a smashed paradise and the cynical politics that ruins innocent lives. It's a beautiful tragedy and Rushdie's prose is tight and sinuous and just a joy to read.