Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Mule: I just got done reading A Thousand Splendid Suns.. took me all of a day to rip the thing apart. Great writing.. so simplistic.. yet paints an amazing portrait of/for Afghan women and the struggle of the people. I couldn't help but hear a lot of my friends mothers struggles...

On To Shalmir the clown next.

Cal: I've placed a bunch of books on hold including paradise and flappers those shall be next!

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Cal: I've placed a bunch of books on hold including paradise and flappers those shall be next!
Just remember that I only recommended This Side of Paradise to show you what a poor novelist Fitzgerald was on his first try!

Some of the stories in Flappers and Philosophers are quite weird, but amusingly so. My favorites were "Head and Shoulders" (the only "philosopher" in the whole collection is in this story), "The Four Fists," and "Dalyrimple Goes Wrong." I shall be interested to hear what you think of "Bernice Bobs Her Hair." One story in the collection, "Benediction," baffles me altogether.

Mule

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Mule: I just got done reading A Thousand Splendid Suns.. took me all of a day to rip the thing apart. Great writing.. so simplistic.. yet paints an amazing portrait of/for Afghan women and the struggle of the people. I couldn't help but hear a lot of my friends mothers struggles...

I am really glad to hear that you enjoyed it and found the same kind of value in Hosseini's story arc. It's a great book that more people need to read.

Notthe7

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Cal: Yes, Yes.. I remember. I'm actually rather excited to read it for this reason. I'll keep you updated on my progress.

Mule: Agreed. Thank you so much for the suggestions. Keep them coming.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Another fine novelist who writes about that part of the world and is more accessible than many people give him credit for, is Salman Rushdie.
I'm putting out a fatwa on you right now.

Hello lady. I don't know you, but it seems we have the same good taste in friends, so I too welcome you back.

Since Fitzgerald was mentioned, I'm going old school too and throwing Flannery O'Connor on the table. The marriage of deep spirituality and dark sardonicism in her writing never cease to entertain. I am partial to the short stories, perhaps because I have a short attention span, perhaps because I am a fan of concise writing, and she truly masters the genre. Good Country People perfectly illustrates that. She surely warrants mention in the pantheon of great American writers, imho.

Faulkner ain't half bad either. Yeah, it's a Southern thang.

Last edited:

D_Budd_Hert

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I would have said U missed me but since I havent heard from U ? I guess U havent lol..... At least one of us missed someone ...MUAH !!!! glad ur back

Notthe7

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm putting out a fatwa on you right now.

Hello lady. I don't know you, but it seems we have the same good taste in friends, so I too welcome you back.

Since Fitzgerald was mentioned, I'm going old school too and throwing Flannery O'Connor on the table. The marriage of deep spirituality and dark sardonicism in her writing never cease to entertain. I am partial to the short stories, perhaps because I have a short attention span, perhaps because I am a fan of concise writing, and she truly masters the genre. Good Country People perfectly illustrates that. She surely warrants mention in the pantheon of great American writers, imho.

Faulkner ain't half bad either. Yeah, it's a Southern thang.

Faulkner is quite delicious. The Sound and The Fury? Whew. Thanks for welcome back by the by. I'm going to go pick up my Fitzgerald today! I'm about twenty pages left in Shalimar the Clown... What a fucking journey that book has been. I also picked up Heart of Darkness.. always worth a re-read... truly love Conrad.

I'll look for Good Country People when I go today. A female writer, christ sakes.. finally.. I've noticed for some reason that people tend to be suggesting male writers.

Alright maybe I'm being anal (zing!)

I can't remember who suggested Shalimar the Clown but thank you so much. Absolutely couldn't put it down.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
I'll look for Good Country People when I go today. A female writer, christ sakes.. finally.. I've noticed for some reason that people tend to be suggesting male writers.

Alright maybe I'm being anal (zing!)
To clarify, so you don't end up on a wild goose chase, Good Country People is a short story, which I was saying exemplifies her writing and dominant themes in her writing. She has only two published novels, Wise Blood and The Violent Bear It Away, and two collections of short stories, which I've seen repackaged under various titles. She died young of chronic illness, which also informs her writing, so her output is small.

I may have some other female writers up my sleeve, but let me know what you think of Ms. O'Connor.

Notthe7

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Just left the library and put a collection of her short stories on hold.
Should have the book in my grasps by the time I get back from vacation.

Can't wait to see what kinda writing you enjoy.. tells so much about a person.

Mule

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Mule: Agreed. Thank you so much for the suggestions. Keep them coming.

As silly as it may sound, one of my favorite books of all time is a "young adult" title. It was published originally as Hunter's Moon but distributed in the US as The Foxes of Firstdark. By Garry Kilworth. Might be difficult to find now, but it was a formative experience and taught me a lot about dedication and unconditional love.

B_stu.kay823

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I know you like the darker stuff Miss Nott, so how about the Matthew Bartholomew Chronicles by sussana Gregory? Over a dozen to choose from.

Failing that, and along the same lines try In the Name of the Rose by umberto eco.

Personally, in these winter months I've reacquainted myself with Dickens (bleak house & tale of 2 cities) and remembered why I loved it.

Next in my pile are a couple of classics I've never read: Dracula & the strange case of dr Jekyll & mr Hyde