Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
from Medscape, a med-pro service I use:

Inviting a constitutional battle with the federal government, Oklahoma lawmakers today passed a bill that would revoke the license of a physician who performs an abortion and send him or her to prison.

The bill now awaits the signature of Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin, a staunch abortion foe and Republican who may add a political consideration to her decision. Fallin is reportedly on the short list of possible vice presidential choices of Donald Trump, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee this year.

The state Senate easily passed the measure today in a 33 to 12 vote. It sailed through the state House on April 21 by an even bigger margin — 59 to 9.

The Oklahoma State Medical Association (OSMA) opposes the bill, and is urging Fallin to exercise her veto pen.

"It is simply unconscionable that, at a time when our state already faces a severe physician shortage, the Senate would waste its time on a bill that is patently unconstitutional and whose only purposes are to score political points and intimidate physicians across this state," said OSMA President Sherri Baker, MD, in a news release.

The OSMA does not take a position on the legality of abortion, but as long as the procedure is legal, it opposes any legislation that would override a physician's judgment or interfere with the physician-patient relationship, said Wes Glinsmann, the association's director of legislative and state political affairs, in an interview with Medscape Medical News.

"Oklahoma is a pro-life state," said Glinsmann. "We understand the dynamic. But we think this is a bridge too far. We see it as overstepping what the Supreme Court said [in Roe v Wade]."

Oklahoma law currently prohibits any person except a physician from performing or inducing an abortion. Violators are guilty of a felony punishable by up to 3 years in prison.

Lawmakers removed the physician exception in the current bill, and added a provision that would prohibit a physician who participates in an abortion from obtaining or renewing a medical license in the state. State boards regulating allopathic and osteopathic physicians would also have to revoke the license of any physician who performs an abortion. However, physicians would not face the threat of license denial or revocation if the abortion is necessary to save the life of the mother.

The bill passed by the state legislature also adds performing an abortion to a list of behaviors constituting unprofessional conduct. It includes drug addiction, incompetence, and sexual relations with a patient.

The Center for Reproductive Rights (CRR), a pro-choice organization, is calling on Fallin to veto the bill, which it calls "blatantly unconstitutional."

"This bill will almost certainly lead to expensive court challenges that the state of Oklahoma simply cannot defend in light of longstanding Supreme Court precedent," Amanda Allen, a legislative counsel for CRR, stated in a letter to Fallin. Allen reminded Fallin that her group has sued Oklahoma eight times over the last 6 years over its antiabortion laws.

Fallin has signed 18 bills restricting access to reproductive healthcare services since she took office 5 years ago, according to the CRR.

She has 5 days to sign or veto the latest antiabortion legislation before it automatically becomes law.

Follow me on Twitter @LowesRobert

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
My comments on this are:
Fallin is a possible VP candidate.
Likely she will use this to gain the conservative fringe.

What I hope will happen will be a SCOTUS ruling that will prevent states from legislating away rights.
But it's a scary gamble.

Such laws are anathema to the spirit of the United States. To remove rights from a population is completely against what the nation stands for.
Minority and women's rights are hard fought. To turn back time for one group is to dehumanize all.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't understand how it's legal to write these kind of laws. Apart from the harm of the law itself, it wastes tax payer time all the way up the chain because they know it's going to get overturned.

Do any of the courts that rule on this shit have the ability to award crippling financial damages for this kind of legislative misconduct?

TGrizzard

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oklahoma,is on the Bible Belt. How can one sit back and do nothing if they believe it to be unconscionable.

I do not shate that belief, but support the right to be heard.
Boomer Sooner

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oklahoma,is on the Bible Belt. How can one sit back and do nothing if they believe it to be unconscionable.

"
OATH OF OFFICE
(Art. XV O.C. §1)
I, __________________________________________________________________________, do solemnly
swear (or affirm) that I will support, obey, and defend the Constitution of the United States, etc"

Because they pledged this oath.

If they believe the constitution, as interpreted by the Supreme Court is truly unconscionable, their recourse is to resign and protest, not to violate their sworn duties.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual

I do not shate that belief, but support the right to be heard.
Boomer Sooner

If one does not beleive a medical procedure is ethical, they don't get it.
Do JWs keep others from blood transfusions? No.

My experience with Oklahoma is that the religious and social conservatives were out to hamstring women.
I'm a former reporter for the Daily Oklahoman.
Go Bronchos.

(Wondering who will get that)

TGrizzard

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hoes that ride Broncos? I'd let you ride me....
..I was married to a person From OK...I did adopt the Sooners as an alternative to Boston College...again it's not for me to say or decide for anyone else. Obama said he supports The states right to chose...sounds like he wanted to avoid the entire subject...

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Obama said he supports The states right to chose...sounds like he wanted to avoid the entire subject...

States' rights to choose what? States do not have a right to choose if abortion will be legal or not. The Supreme court has already established it as the law of the land.

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I hate our governor. She was also the same one who tried to overturn the Supreme Court decision to remove the 10 commandments from our capitol.

She also likes to defund education every year. Among other things. She wants Oklahoma to stay the buckle of the Bible belt.

SurferGirlCA

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
One of the sponsors of the bill pretty much said he knew it was unconstitutional, but his hope was that this would force the Supreme Court to take it up and (his words) overturn Roe v. Wade.

"... The measure, which passed the Republican-dominated Senate by a vote of 33 to 12, will be presented to Gov. Mary Fallin, a Republican, who will have five days to sign it, veto it or allow it to take effect without her signature.

If it becomes law, it is certain to face a quick challenge in state or federal court. And because the Supreme Court has consistently ruled that women have a right to obtain abortions until the fetus is viable outside the womb, legal experts say, it will soon be declared unconstitutional.

That has not deterred anti-abortion politicians in a state dominated by conservative Republicans. Some say they welcome the chance to make a strong statement and to engage the issues in court.

“Most people know I am for defending rights,” Senator Nathan Dahm, the author of the bill and a software developer from Broken Arrow, Okla., told The Oklahoman. “Those rights begin at conception.”

Mr. Dahm told reporters that he knew the measure would be challenged but expressed hope that the case would lead the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade..."

http://nyti.ms/2541PN1

Is it just me or is the world about to end?

TGrizzard

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
the way the law of land is how this bill written, subsequently the bill was vetoed by Gov.Fallin. Republican Legislators will always seek ways to stop abortion. If you don't think change because it's the "law of the land" that's fine with me. C.J. Roberts doesn't see any legal reason it choukd be changed. That's enough for me to believe it won't change. The presidents person views is not policy. That's all I stated
Sooner fan

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Hoes that ride Broncos? I'd let you ride me....
EXCUSE ME, but that is completely out of line.
Don't you dare call me a "ho."
And it's Bronchos.

..I was married to a person From OK...I did adopt the Sooners as an alternative to Boston College...again it's not for me to say or decide for anyone else. Obama said he supports The states right to chose...sounds like he wanted to avoid the entire subject...

TGrizzard

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I didn't call you a ho, and I apologize for my attempt at translating "Bronco" I'm not malicious to anybody.

jaap_stam

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Pro-life wouldn't be such a bad hardline position, if those same people in favor of pro-life were not also actively trying to defund support programs for poor mothers. Seems like such people are merely voting for social and economic disfunction.

There already has been research that demonstrated a negative correlation between # of abortions and violent crime rates. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legalized_abortion_and_crime_effect

Reactions: distilledpunk

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you don't want kids don't fuck or use a condom. Or other way to prevent it in the fit's place

So you're at least supportive of abortion being legal in the case of rape?

Because this particular law had no such exception.

Reactions: AlteredEgo