Olbermann vs. Comcast - Round One

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_VinylBoy, Jan 29, 2011.

1. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

The plot thickens...
    “You’ll never be a serious (media) company until you’re in the news business,” CNN founder Ted Turner advised a younger Brian Roberts, now Comcast’s CEO, many years ago.

The past week, even before it becomes majority owner of NBC News, MSNBC and CNBC on Friday, the cable giant has experienced a serious peril common among mammoth corporations with news enterprises part of their asset mix. Like Time Warner (CNN), News Corp. (Fox News, Wall Street Journal, New York Post) and current NBC owner General Electric, Comcast finds itself suspected of manipulating the news.
    Link

BTW, for anyone keeping score, Monday's ratings for Laurence O'Donnell at Olbermann's original time slot was up by nearly half, which also helped to boost Rachel Maddow's ratings as well. Fox still has the higher TV ratings for evening news than the other networks, but CNN & MSNBC still maintain their dominance on the web. Top 15 Most Popular News Websites

2. houtx48

Gold Member

For all the misinformation available on the internet it at at least keeps the large media outlets more on the honest side, maybe. My worry is when they can control the internet,Comcast, what happens then?

3. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

^What is discussed on the news, and how it is discussed, is determined by the highest bidder. Basically everything you watch will become one giant advertisement. The corporatists wouldn't have it any other way.

4. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    [addended]

5. lucky8

Gold Member

Cable news has been nothing but advertisements and opinions for a few years now. It really began to pick up around 2007 with the political race, and hasn't gone back to pre-election fact talking since. Just turn it off. Don't give them their ratings. Newspapers and internet resources will give you better information than any of the propaganda spewed over US airwaves nowadays. FOX, CNN, MSNBC, CNBC, HLN are all guilty. They've realized we don't need them anymore so they've turned it into entertainment to keep us watching.

6. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

Political parties are just another tool bought by the corporatists. Politicians are PR mouthpieces as much as radio and TV 'commentators'.

7. midlifebear

Gold Member

Just a small correction: I believe you mean the highest among cable network news organizations. It's still a fight among ABC, CBS and ABC for broadcast news, which is available to anyone who upgraded to receive "free" television broadcasts. Even the majority of cable and satellite subscribers still watch the local NBC, CBS, ABC or FOX morning and evening news, available via broadcast, compared to those who remained glued to cable news. And usually stay on the same channel for the national broadcast news, too.
    :smile:

Of course, I may be blowing smoke out of my ass, but I don't think so.

#7 midlifebear, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  8. faceking

Albums:
    You are correct on both counts. Smoke is always coming out yer arse;-)
    Second, yeah the low networker in Katie Couric is around 5.5M, while O'Rielly is about 3.5M.

But I think a LOT of even CBS going into the crapper and still higher is just "economics of continuance" ...making that up, but the cable news networks don't carry LOCAL news programming before Maddow or Hannity, and further, they don't carry Two and Half Drunks or Lost or CSI:LSPG after the network news. It's like pointing to the ratings of 'whatever' is shown after/before the Super Bowl and waving the viewership in the air.

If CBS Network News was a standalone.... I think it would be half of MSNBCs ratings, much less Fox.

But then again, I may just be shooting several repeated rounds of thick white ropey cock snot out of my cerebral cannon again!

#8 faceking, Jan 29, 2011
  9. faceking

Albums:
    Furthermore... notice how mostly all the cable news talking heads (regardless of left or right) talk like normal ppl.

But Brian Williams... does he sound like that when he puts his kids to bed? Gawd, I hope not. Or Tom Brokaw... that was another doozy. Just fucking talk normal, yer not in the fucking Old Globe ya knobs.

And does Bob Costas probably wax poetic when talking about the dump he just threw down in the back of a Mexican joint?

All 5'1" of him, with the fine tooth combed swept hair and straight face of i'm-going-to-recap-nothing-remarkable-look... "ladies and gentlemen, it was a duece for the ages..."

#9 faceking, Jan 29, 2011
  10. midlifebear

Gold Member

Facekueen: You sure know how to win an old faggot's heart. :heart: :wave2:

But, yeah, think about it: What do Bob Costas, Brian Williams, Tom Brokaw, and perky Couric all have in common? It's all about perfect hair!

P.S. You need to learn to sit where the smoke doesn't bother you. :smile:

11. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Yes. Thanks for the helping me dot those I's and crossing those T's. :wink:

12. maxcok

Gold Member

.. :wink:.. :kiss:

13. B_OtterJoq

B_OtterJoq New Member

Does Gretchen Carlson scowl and dumb down everything she says when she's not on the air? Does Sean Hannity look like he's taking a shit 24/7? Does Shepard Smith wear all that eyeshadow OFF the air?

What a steaming pile...

14. B_OtterJoq

B_OtterJoq New Member

I doubt it. It's never happened before; why should it start happening now?

15. maxcok

Gold Member

Maybe you'd understand them better if they dumbed things down for you, a la Dubyah the Shrub.

So that's what your head is full of, ropey cock snot. That explains your perpetual state of confusion.

16. midlifebear

Gold Member

Ropey cock snot. :laugh2: :lmao: :beerchug2: :umbrella:

17. faceking

Albums:
    Lighten up dickhead... trying to have fun, and yer taking personal shots.

18. faceking

Albums:

TMI

:wall:

19. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

NBC and MSNBC have been losing money for years. Usually ranking 4th in tv news ratings. Microsoft owns very little of MSNBC now. G.E. wants out. Comcast now has control of 51% of everything .

NBCUNIVERSALMSNBCGECOMCAST...

20. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

Broadcast news (and CNN) is somewhat famous for being written with an 8th grade vocabulary. They always use words that even an 8th grader should be able to understand. However, as yourself are a perfect example of, Fox Corp discovered a huge untapped market of people who weren't watching the news, because broadcast news was too cerebral for them. Too often, these people didn't understand the grown-up concepts being conveyed with grown up words, so they wouldn't even bother watching. So, Fox created their own channel, and wrote it all at a 6th grade level. This has been Fox News' bread and butter all along; play down to the stupidity of viewers too ignorant and closeminded to watch the real news channels.

#20 B_talltpaguy, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
Draft saved Draft deleted