Old fashioned male swimwear VS newer male swimwear..

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
When our grandpas wore skivvies VS the speedos/bathing trunks that would somehow come to play from the 50s-00s, I was wondering of the material they used back then...I mean, we might sometimes see Clark Gable, Franchot Tone, etc. sporting those skivvies...I was just wondering what type of garments were they made of? I know the speedos/bathing trunks changed their material, but I was curious as to what material was worn for bathing suits of the olden times when I our grandparents were children? Do you think the change now compare to our granparents' era was a good change for sure? Discuss.

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In the early '60s, I bought my first square cut stretch bathing suit that was made from stretch latex, a similar material that was used for ladies girdles. I saw other kids my age wearing stretch suits and I wanted something different than the baggy swim suits that my mother bought me. The following year, I bought a square cut that was made from a knit material (can't remember the material). The knit was much more comfortable than the latex, but not as supportive. The latex would show a bulge, but held it closer to your torso than the knit. I liked the knit fabric better than the latex because my dick would stick out further from my body. As a young teen becoming aware of my sexuality, I liked to that people on the beach in Atlantic City could see my dick. The French Canadians wore swim briefs similar to modern day Speedos, not square cuts, and I really wanted one. I couldn't find them at any of the local stores. In the late '60s, I found my first brief cut swimsuit when I was in high school. It was black and I loved to wear it. I think that it was made from stretch nylon.

In the early '70s, I bought my first Speedo. It was white and royal 3/8" stripes made from nylon. The nylon had a slippery feel and I loved the brief cut. The following year, I got a Speedo Catalog that offered the choice of nylon or a new fabric, lycra. I ordered lycra and never looked back. Lycra has to be the nicest of all the stretch materials, especially after you've worn them a few times and they get broken in. A few years ago, I ordered an Aussiebum nylon suit. It was nice, but I was reminded of why I prefer lycra to nylon.

green carnation

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
i have one of my grandfathers bathing costumes that is all in one with a little skirt flap over the best bits. Probably from the 30s ish. They are made of wool believe or not.
And what btw is this irritating new trend of demanding we 'discuss'?

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I didn't mean it like that. Honestly. I am talking about as the years changed from 1950-onward when they suddenly became different than what you saw earlier(b&w movies, photographs, etc.), ditching the wool fabric of olden times during either the Depression era or before the Crash. When I mean "discuss", I mean I am open to hear everyone's opinion. Sorry if I wasn't so clear on that comment. My appologies.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have one of those olden day bathing garments that I found at a jumble sale in London years ago. I would never dream of wearing it; it is in fact made of wool. I prefer my birthday suit for swimming.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Here's a great article on the history of men's swimwear in the 20th century, which confirms what I'd suspected but hadn't studied in-depth before.

The public's concern with nudity eroded as time passed. Shorts were the typical swim wear for men, with men's swimsuits during the 1940's looking very similar to the narrow hips and smooth abdomen of the women's styles. Of course, those males with a little more modesty in mind could always opt for the "boxer-type" shorts. Successful swim wear campaigns were not intended for the timid. In 1947, the Jantzen company hired James Garner as their "Mr. Jantzen" to model their line of "savage swim trunks."

Stretchy suits made of Lastex were popular beginning in the 1940s.

I remember my dad's old stretchy suit from the early-mid 60s. It was black and white and had a little belt over its rather high waist; the leg was cut straight to the tops of his thighs. By the late 60s, he was wearing lined smallish boxers with an elastic waist in green/gray/blue cotton plaids. He wore those things to death.

Both my parents had a horror of Speedo-type bikinis on men. My dad used to call them "nut-huggers".

As a kid, I wore stretchy suits right up until adolescence in the early 70s, at which time I switched to denim cut-offs. I don't recall owning a real bathing suit until my mid-20s, when I purchased my first bikini.