Old World - New World

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think it has been a fair criticism of the old world that we are a bit snooty about our culture.

Perhaps you could tell me why you like the new world and what you think the advancements are that you have made.

I generally prefer our food, wine and cars. Don't get me wrong there are some great new world wines, but I still prefer the classics, and there are some incredible cars but I'd still have a Ferrari or Aston Martin.

Movies, Art, Literature, Architecture, Science, Medicine - what do you think?

meatpackingbubba

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I thought it had already been well established by the LPSG intelligentsia that the new world is entirely a wasteland spawning nothing but evil and parasitically sucking the life blood from the rest of the world.

But, let's give it a go:

Georgia O'Keefe
Jonas Salk and the polio vaccine
George Gershwin
Jazz
Jackson Pollack
Enshrinement of individual liberty in the Bill of Rights
Skyscrapers
Elevators
Walt Whitman
Mark Twain
Hip-Hop
Frank Gehry
Louis Comfort Tiffany
Upward mobility for those that strive for the brass ring
Computers

Oh yes...and there is always the eschewing of titles and nobility.

I'll keep working on it, Pendragon.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think it's a poorly-posed question. Where's "our"? That place where the "staff are very friendly"? Could you narrow it down a bit?

If this is another Europe vs US rant, try comparing Calvinsim and Las Vegas - everything else is mere detail.

boabysup

Just Browsing
Media
Calvinism? isnt that a bit extream?

As for US V Europe? is that old V new? i mean surely old would be 3rd world countries, Europe and the US are both modern.

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well..I thinking you are talking about old and new world among the group of the 8, 10, etcs?

Than you can talk among yourselves..I dont even understand much about wine stuff and others stuff that comes naturaly to some and belong to some traditions of good living and others among the rich, famous and etc.

Sure I can apreciate arts, beauty, efficient stuff science and technology makes things easier if I'm expose to them but may choose stick with my preferences that appeals to me better etc but not much into excesses and pomp and more dow to earth as a consumer of things. Plus I can be cheap to some as even when really rich not go expending into stuff because I can afford. I'm always looking for good deals sales etc.

My preference is to reside in a simple cool place appealing to me without to much influences of old and new as westerns rich countries and minds dictates how its supose to flow life and people behave and keep thinking.

LOL..I may not even understanding the question at all but participating anyways....:rolleyes: :tongue: cool.

boabysup

Just Browsing
Media
I thought it had already been well established by the LPSG intelligentsia that the new world is entirely a wasteland spawning nothing but evil and parasitically sucking the life blood from the rest of the world.

But, let's give it a go:

Georgia O'Keefe
Jonas Salk and the polio vaccine
George Gershwin
Jazz
Jackson Pollack
Enshrinement of individual liberty in the Bill of Rights
Skyscrapers
Elevators
Walt Whitman
Mark Twain
Hip-Hop
Frank Gehry
Louis Comfort Tiffany
Upward mobility for those that strive for the brass ring
Computers

Oh yes...and there is always the eschewing of titles and nobility.

I'll keep working on it, Pendragon.

is that a list of the evils of the new world? i laughed my ass off :biggrin1:

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
PS..:redface: ..LOL

Dear people..you have to understand that to me as much England and US are different but they are so much alike, and have been alies many times...deep inside they are not different..to me..when I say westerns..you have to understand what I'm trying to say...and when include others westerns in the group of rich nations is because 'they' have high standards of living ..and at least in my mind is not the reality of majority of the world at all. Them is something they share among just themselves. Some of them have political different views and are not always agreening but England and USA? Give me a brake, they love love one another...Thank you.

And please, I do appreciate science as vacinations goes etc as I want live in a tranquil cool non touristic 'jungle'..LOL

Obrigado.

PussyWellington

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I am proud to come from the new world. We even get to have the word "new" in our name -- New Zealand.

Yesterday New Zealand celebrated Waitangi Day - the commemoration of the signing of the treaty between the Maoris and the British. This sets us apart from the other colonies.

Coming from the new world also allows us the opportunity to learn from History while creating it. It allows us to be more progressive. We gave woman the vote first, we have a woman prime minister.

We also get to have the best of both worlds. We speak your language but we create it our own. We get the best of your popular culture but create our own. We play your sports and get to beat you ;). That has to be one of the best things about being the new world.

We also have less "Establishment". A rich New Zealander is far less wealthy than a rich Brit or European. That's makes us a more balanced society.

I love coming from a nation of immigrants. It makes me curious about the world and made me adventurous - after all it's in my blood. I love coming from the new world - I can visit that crusty old jewel - Europe any time. But the new world is where it's at.

(In no way or shape am I advocating a "New World Order" -- only a new world.

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Did some people get out of bed the wrong side today?

Old World - Europe, Asia and Africa

New World - The Americas and Australasia

This isn't a rant - MPB has it. Simply where do you think the New World has developed what it inherited or invented something completely new that is GOOD, richer or poorer nation alike.

I said the old world is a bit snooty. Just put the record straight if you wish. Blow your trumpet/horn. Big Blues fan here. Sheesh :rolleyes:

Thank you Dirtyde (don't mention the Rugby and I won't mention the cricket)

boabysup

Just Browsing
Media
I think theres a big difference between Scotland and England nevermind England and the USA.

I have only been to the USA once, i thought it was great, Hugely different in style and everything! They could at least drive on the left like us haha

I've been to New Zealand i have family there, imigrants of course and i found it to be quite simelar to my home but the weather was better. And a pound gets you 3 NZ dollers! and rugby is the game of choice.

Lordpendragon are you an englishman? and what do you mean by snooty.

Chelsea fan?

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lordpendragon are you an englishman? and what do you mean by snooty.

Chelsea fan?

I am not an Englishman. Chelsea - PLEEEEase.

Snooty - well really I think the French are probably the most snooty - or rather chauvinistic in terms of dismissing other culture as inferior to their own, but I am sure we (Brits?) make the same mistake.

Also I am a Rugby player, which is why I know that our sport is completely superior to Gridiron.

boabysup

Just Browsing
Media
Gridiron?

Im a scotsman, so who are the blues you talk about?

Personally i dont feel better than anyone, maybe the french come across as arrogant but personally any french i have spoken to have been grand people.

I think there is deff a bit of anti-american sentiment but thats fairly common in the entire world i think.

PussyWellington

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Snooty - well really I think the French are probably the most snooty - or rather chauvinistic in terms of dismissing other culture as inferior to their own, but I am sure we (Brits?) make the same mistake.

Whatever you may say about the French, they do colonize the best. Travelling Indochine and having access to freshly baked baguettes, wine and cheese along with good coffee, is far superior to the American legacy of Spam in Korea. They built the most beautiful city in Asia - Hanoi.

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Did some people get out of bed the wrong side today?

Old World - Europe, Asia and Africa

New World - The Americas and Australasia

This isn't a rant - MPB has it. Simply where do you think the New World has developed what it inherited or invented something completely new that is GOOD, richer or poorer nation alike.

I said the old world is a bit snooty. Just put the record straight if you wish. Blow your trumpet/horn. Big Blues fan here. Sheesh :rolleyes:

Thank you Dirtyde (don't mention the Rugby and I won't mention the cricket)

Ok than..but was not just me who was lost what the question was about..

But still to me as much you can say about new world as Americas goes there is an abysm of difference regarding Canada and US...and the south border...

Plus new world just to some because we have old tribal cultures going on for very long that are old and dont have tradition of wines, museuns and etc. Than still between the world and new many differences among economics, political power etc etc.

Nowdays I wish to go live in a old culture as NZ that was colonized and became somehow 'new' but their native peoples traditions were not lost and better than that it keeps inspiring others to be back to their roots..maybe because she was the lattest to be 'invaded' and was not taken over as the other ones before her? Dont know because I did not have much study and information about how things went etc.

Richer and poorer nations are not alike but cool that we at least love ourselves...well there are some wanting to destroy withim and dominate...unfortunatly the need to dominate and take over by force always has been around. Instead of letting people embrace what they choose to and become.

The problem that I see in new world as they are not new...and if they lost the old inside or not even remember there are some still around is a loss. To some old European nations maybe easy to feel old because the native of their lands are within long long ago...they were not look as animals uncivilized to be educated, clothed and having to change their ways etcetc. I think about it a lot.

Than I did not woke up other side of the bed, or nervous, or mad, just expressing normal how i see..I just think and see things different is the way I observe and see old and new and stuff inside. To me your 1st post question seemed so frivoulous ,the way I received and understood. Now that I understand the question I still dont see as you do.

:shrug:

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think it has been a fair criticism of the old world that we are a bit snooty about our culture.

Perhaps you could tell me why you like the new world and what you think the advancements are that you have made.

I generally prefer our food, wine and cars. Don't get me wrong there are some great new world wines, but I still prefer the classics, and there are some incredible cars but I'd still have a Ferrari or Aston Martin.

Movies, Art, Literature, Architecture, Science, Medicine - what do you think?

Any advancements made in the New World are the result of the abundance of resources at our fingertips. The industrial revolution, anyone?

I prefer many of the Old World luxuries but the New World has a few worthy of note:

Frank Lloyd Wright
Louis Sullivan
Eero Saarinen
Alvar Alto
Mies van der Rohe
Gustav Stickley
Michael Shermer
Toni Morrison
Rita Dove
Margaret Atwood
e.e. cummings
John Ashbery
Dylan Thomas
William Faulkner
Rollo May
Alfred Adler
Kelly Wearstler - hottest new designer and she's a goddess to boot
Robert Lowell
Philip Glass
Keith Haring
Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
Most Napa and Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignons, 1997. The best in 25 years, particularly Simi Reserve, Robert Mondavi Reserve, and Pride Mountain. All have an exquisite finish.
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Thelonius Monk
Dave Brubeck
Louis Armstrong
Robert Johnson
Buddy Guy
Ella Fitzgerald
Sarah Vaughan
Clifford Brown

That's all for now...i'll think of more later.

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hanoi is indeed a marvelous city and Vietnamese Indochine food is incredible.

Gisella - you make a very good point about the old existing cultures of the new World. It is easy to become euro or werterncentric in your view.

And really this wasn't intended to be the most serious thread on the board. I am interested in what people think as I have no doubt that the old world people like me can be introspective as you have already pointed out.

boabysup

Just Browsing
Media
You could name names throught history thats just the way things go, there will be great men and women of the past and there will continue to be great men and women in the future.

I think the one big difference is history.

Does history make a place better? i personally dont think so, however it does make it slightly more interesting. IMO

boabysup

Just Browsing
Media
LOL i really need to pay a bit more attention now that i think about it it seems so obvious!

In my defense we were talking sports but you did mention horns and trumpets so i really should have realized! :tongue: