LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well..... there are many many things I love about the "old world"... but in the interest of the thread..

The '08 Viper looks better and goes faster than just about any Ferrari you can buy and costs a fraction of the price. My Viper looks better and goes faster than most Ferraris too, and cost a fraction of that fraction. Embarrassed quite a few Ferrari, Porshe, Mercedes and BMW drivers when I had my car over on the German autobahn. Nobody passed me. I'd rather have a Murcielago roadster, but my current ride is much cheaper and easier to maintain, and almost as fast.

I have to concede a point to NIC 160IQ. I drive a fast German sportscar and I drive a fast American sportscar.The American car is equivalent in beauty and performance and is just as safe and is much more economical to operate and maintain than the sleek German guzzzler! I could buy two of the A cars for the price of one G car. It is folklore that European cars are superior to American cars. Once you compare their performance, attractiveness,comfort and cost, the American cars win handsdown! Give me a good American car anytime and everytime!:smile:

ruffboy

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I never said American cars were unequivocably better than European ones. Just that MY American car happens to look a lot better and go a lot faster than MOST European cars, excluding things that cost upwards of a million dollars (Veryon, Enzo, McLaren F1, but the list is very small...). No, I didn't see any of these cars on the Autobahn. I wouldn't have expected to. About the most impressive thing I saw was a Modena. Incidentally the Saleen S7 goes faster than the McLaren F1. In about the same league as the CCR (faster by some estimates). Somewhat slower than the Veryon.

btw, autobahn?

thank the Federal Interstate Highway system

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have enjoyed reading peoples lists of new world peoples and then going on and finding out a bit about them so now its my turn to compile a shortish list of people.

I might as well stick to what I know so this will be an “old world” list of Great Scots! Hurrah, I hope you enjoy.

Alexander Graham Bell- Invented the Telephone.
John Logie Baird- Invented the Television. (Italians might disagree a bit)
Sir Alexander Fleming- Discovered antibiotics, Penicillin!!!
James Watt- developed the steam engine.
Patrick Ferguson- inventor of the breach load rifle.
John Paul Jones- Established the U.S. Navy.
Sir John Alexander MacDonald- First Prime Minister of Canada.
Adam Smith- Pioneer of economics.

A few choice Authors

Robert Louis Stevenson (Treasure Island)
Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes)
Sir James Barrie (Peter Pan)

And finally my personal favourites!!!

William Wallace
Robert the Bruce
Bonnie Prince Charlie
Rob Roy MacGregor
Robert Burns.

Ohh I forgot Charles Rennie Macintosh for SK_bum.

[FONT=&quot]And all that without even a mention for Whisky or Sir Sean Connery!:biggrin1: [/FONT]

Margaret MacDonald, Francis MacNair, Gandalf the gay: Sir Ian MacKellen, the Encyclopaedia Britannica.

Excellent book I read a few months ago, 'How the Scots Invented the Modern World, the True Story of how Western Europe's Poorest Nation Created Our World & Everything in it', by Arthur Herman.

boabysup

Just Browsing
Media
Thank you kalipygain for actually reading my post, although im pretty sure Mackellen is english. At least his accent is.

Regardless i appreciate your comments and maybe i was naive but i thought more people would be surprised by it or at least rather comment on it rather than stick to talking about cars with engines that burn more fuel than Africa.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean but maybe your confusing Vatican City with the Roman Empire?

Just that they have a much smaller population than Scotland and arguably have had a MUCH bigger influence over the course of human history.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
btw, autobahn?

thank the Federal Interstate Highway system

huh? Don't you mean thank Hitler? I thought he (or at least others in the government during his rise to power and the buildup to WW2) started the autobahn system in Germany, in 1931 if I'm not mistaken. The United States copied them 10 years later.

boabysup

Just Browsing
Media
im clearly this dense, i dont really understand what vatican city did, however i know a bit about what the roman empire did.

Besides my point wasnt that no-one ever matches scotlands acheivments but that for a nation so small it has done quite well.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Possibly more fantastic nouveau architecture in Barcelona than all of N. america.
No argument here although Brussels and Paris are probably neck-and-neck with Munich, Prague and Glasgow close behind.
Didn't notice that Garcia-Lorca or Almadovar have been mentioned.
Or Juan Ramon Jimenez, Vicente Aliexandre, or Saint John of the Cross.

boabysup

Just Browsing
Media
I have been to Barcelona and Paris but i cant say much about the others.

What i will say is that in my opinion you wont get a more beautiful city than paris. Its is truely outstanding and a place i look forward to exploring more and more.

Barcelona has alot of outstanding architecture but also if you hang about long enough expect to be scammed!

basque9

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
huh? Don't you mean thank Hitler? I thought he (or at least others in the government during his rise to power and the buildup to WW2) started the autobahn system in Germany, in 1931 if I'm not mistaken. The United States copied them 10 years later.

I believe you are essentially correct! General Eisenhower ( soon to be President Eisenhower) generally is credited with adapting the German autobahn to pattern the Interstate Highway System after his tour of duty as Commander Of Allied Forces in Europe. Prior to that, the Pennsylvania Turnpike, for which design began in 1934 and which opened to traffic in 1940, was similar to the autobahn in concept.:smile:

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
im clearly this dense, i dont really understand what vatican city did, however i know a bit about what the roman empire did.

Besides my point wasnt that no-one ever matches scotlands acheivments but that for a nation so small it has done quite well.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the Catholic Church, whose influence is still extremely dynamic worldwide today.

boabysup

Just Browsing
Media
ohh thanks for clearing that up Madame-Zora i truely appreciate it.

my stance on religion is unpopular so i think i might as well keep my trap shut. i seem to be putting my foot in it a bit.