Old YMCA Experiences

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by D_Hugh_G_Nutz, Apr 27, 2007.

1. D_Hugh_G_Nutz

D_Hugh_G_Nutz Account Disabled

I am not sure where to post this, but I am old enough to remember the time when YMCA's were for males only and swimsuits were not allowed in the pool.

As a kid, I even had swimming lessons at the Y.

Anyone have any experiences to share?

2. auncut10in

auncut10in Well-Known Member

Albums:
    in San Francisco until April, then back sailing in
    I used to work out at the YMCA right after they changed this policy and it became coed. The pool was down in the basement. Occasionally one of the old guys would walk down the stairs butt naked and look around before he remembered the policy change. It was pretty funny.

3. Falcon9

Falcon9 New Member

now it makes all sense why they wrote that song YMCA.

4. jazzz14

jazzz14 Member

Hi all - there is group on Yahoo that has pictures and posts. Very, VERY interesting reading about the old days.

Yahoo! Groups

Enjoy. Michael in FL

5. Knight Attrition

Knight Attrition New Member

No doubt it never made a whole lot sense to me

6. blah69420

blah69420 Member

There were a number of times as a teenager 14-16. That i did circle jerks in the showers. and in the Sauna. Often with men older then myself. Someone would usually stand guard.

It was pretty exciting but wrong at the same time of couse being a family place and all. Those are the times i have sucked and played with a cock other then my own. I long for those days sometimes now.

Devinology5678 likes this.
  7. Fire Stick

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I think some YMCAs were slower than others in making the switch. I grew up in a fairly small town in northwest Texas where there was a small Y located in an old plain facility in the center of town. (The Y in town now is a more modern building.) There was only one locker room, and it was for the guys. I took swimming lessons there as a kid during three successive summers (beginning, intermediate, and advanced), and although the swimming lessons were for both boys and girls, there was still all male/nude swimming on certain days and times. My older brother and I enjoyed going to the Y at these appointed times to “practice” our swimming and to just play around in the pool. I was accustom to seeing my dad and brother naked, but I recall still being very interested in looking at the older boys and the adult men in the locker room and in the pool, looking forward to the day when I would look like a man.

I also recall, when I was about 12, having a crush on my swim class instructor, Mike. Mike was a good-looking guy, somewhere between 25 and 30 I’d say, and he was a high school coach in one of the neighboring little towns and worked at the Y as a summer job. Sometimes he would be in the pool on Nude Swimming Day, and I stared at him quite a lot. Luckily, he was friendly and seemed flattered by my fascination of him. I don’t really have any reason to think he was gay, but one time in the pool while we were talking, he did voice his observation (in a non-sexual way) that my brother and I had “big ones” – which I already knew at that age but, nonetheless, was pleased by his mention of it. I wonder whatever happened to him.

8. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

When I was 12 my grandfather gave me a membership ($2 per year) to the Y in town. Nude swimming was required but I never gave it a second thought since I'd been skinnydipping in creeks and ponds since I could remember. But the Y pool was in a dank, windowless vault in the basement of an ancient building so when I was invited to swim with some friends at the Boys' Club I was happy to find a very large, modern pool in a well ventilated room with skylights and frosted windows.

Grow up swimming naked and you'll have fewer hangups, guaranteed.

9. BIGdkluver

Gold Member

My experiences at the "Y" don't deal with swimming, but they are still very hot nonetheless!

I grew up in Chicago, and the Lawson YMCA Hotel on Chicago Avenue was really hot and very cruisy with all kinds of man-to-man sex action.

You could take the elevator to almost any floor and walk up and down the hallways and find many room doors either unlocked or standing slightly open so that you could see who was inside. Often there was a hot, sexy stud or traveling businessman inside just wearing underwear or even naked waiting for someone to enter his room for a hot sexual encounter.

And the men's rooms on each floor were incredible! Very cruisy and always busy. Unbelievably hot sex action at the urinals and in the showers!

However, all this is in the past tense now. The building is delapidated and very well secured. Visitors have to sign-in now before they can go upstairs. It's probably all for the better!

But the Village People were right! At the "Y" in the old days, "You can do whatever you please!" and "You can hang out with all the boys!"

Ah, those were the days! :rolleyes:

10. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

All i remember about the Y was they stunk like Washfunk's Muel.........:cool:

11. danerain

Gold Member

Albums:
    :puke:

12. D_Harry_Crax

D_Harry_Crax Account Disabled

YMCA membership: $62 per month
    Nice Nike running shoes: less than $100
    Meter parking outside YMCA: $1 or so
    Getting a handjob in the men's locker room between his shower and mine: Priceless

13. hrychstII

hrychstII New Member

I was just a Y in the mid-west on Sunday afternoon. In the shower area (individual showers) there is a steam room, sauna, whirlpool. I was there for about an hour and during that time I saw 2 guys get out of the whirlpool with hardons. 4 guys showering with the curtain open a bit and jackin. One even walked out of the shower as he was putting his towel on with a hardon. One guy felt me up in the whirlpool. I only get to that Y once a month and every time I have been there I have seen some hard cocks.

14. lilbear

lilbear Member

San Francisco still has a Y- it is located in the Tenderloin area. Never been there.

15. auto90403

auto90403 Member

Lawson YMCA! Haven't thought about that place in years.

Yes, it was famous for all the MM action taking place. I only knew straight guys who went there who thought it was just like their old Y back in Podunk. They'd come back shocked that in the sauna the guy next to them would lean over and start sucking their cock.

I think management finally cracked down because things were really getting out of hand. Also, those places on Halsted siphoned off all the attractive men that Lawson was finally just where trolls and deep in the closet married guys played.

16. D_Harry_Crax

D_Harry_Crax Account Disabled

New book:
    Manhood Factories: YMCA Architecture and the Making of Modern Urban Culture, by Paula Lupkin
    University of Minnesota Press, 2010

Between the Civil War and the Great Depression, the Young Men's
    Christian Association built more than a thousand community centers
    across the United States and in major cities around the world. Dubbed
    "manhood factories" by Teddy Roosevelt, these iconic buildings served
    as athletic centers and residential facilities for a rapidly growing
    urban male population. Beginning with the early history of the YMCA
    and the construction of New York City's landmark Twenty-Third Street
    YMCA of 1869, Paula Lupkin follows the efforts of YMCA leaders to
    shape a modern yet moral public culture and even define class, race,
    ethnicity, and gender through its buildings. Illustrated with many
    rarely seen photographs, maps, and drawings, _Manhood Factories_
    offers a fascinating new perspective on a venerable institution and
    its place in America's cultural and architectural history.

17. nakedone

nakedone New Member

Ah, the old YMCA memories! Years ago, these were places where men and boys could go and enjoy being naked together without anyone trying to find something "indecent" about it. You would see men and boys of all ages, fathers and sons too, all completely naked and no-one seemed to be concerned about whom could look at whom!

They were great places for fathers and sons to "bond" by being naked together. The unspoken messages of these fathers was "You are my son! It is okay for you to see me naked! Go ahead and look, as much as you want to!"

They were great opportunities for young guys to see older guys naked, and to learn how their bodies would probably change as they matured. They also learned about the great differences in cock sizes!

They were also great chances for those men who were not super-hung to accept that fact by not trying to hide, but by displaying themselves honestly.

They were also chances for men to make new friends, based so very much on the fact that no-one was being judged by anything superficial, such as physical dimensions. It was a time when all men present could say, without words even, "This is who I am! Accept me for who I really am!"

I saw many guys sitting naked together in the saunas and steam rooms, talking in much more open ways than they would have if they had been fully dressed. There is just something about being naked together that helps men to "open up" in ways that nothing else seems to.

But, those days are gone. We now have individual showers and private dressing areas. We also see swim suits in the saunas and steam rooms. The hot tubs, too, have been re-located close to the swimming pools, where women and kids can use them too. There just is very little reason, or incentive, for men to be casually naked together. And much has been lost in the process! It is a sad time!

18. nudeyorker

Gold Member

No real experiences but I was in this little gem of a movie as a dancer and a gymnast. (if you are quick with the remote you can pause and see my butt in a shower scene) YouTube - Can't Stop The Music Trailer

19. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:

I always wondered what killed Valerie Perrine's career, that must be why she was pushed aside and her career went flat, all the attention placed on you.

20. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Yeah I'm sure that was it.:wink:Meanwhile I never publicly admitted to being in that movie until a few years ago!

Draft saved Draft deleted