Oldies but goodies....your favorite old tunes?

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Here are some great things from the 60s (a poorly understood decade, especially as far as the music went):

Zombies Tell Her No and She's Not There

We Five You Were On My Mind

Cyrkle Red Rubber Ball and Turn Down Day
(They look like such young Republicans with their short hair)

Spiral Starecase I Love You More Today Than Yesterday

Chris Montez The More I See You and Call Me
(I love the debutante dancer chicks in the second clip)

Left Banke Walk Away Renee

The Grass Roots Midnight Confession

Here's an excellent illustration of how apparent the utter exhaustion of popular music had become by the late 60s. When Diana Ross and The Supremes sings one of their Motown songs, they were provocatively brilliant. But once they launch into a medley of older popular songs, they lose credibility and get very Las Vegas.

I'm something of a Pre-Raphaelite when it comes to 60s music and would have to draw the curtain at St Pepper's: much as I admire and enjoy later things, there was a corrosive effect on rock and roll that led down some lonely paths, indeed, sometime around 1967, when "rock and roll" turned into just "rock". That doesn't mean that all at once the "music died", but it went into a coma (for me).

It didn't really emerge until punk rock jolted all those stoners with their eight-minute drum solos off the stage and the simplicity and energy came back. The groups called post-Punk cleaned the vomit off the stage left by the nihilistic punkers and and people started dancing again, and in much the same fashion as they had in the early-mid 60s.

Acts like Lene Lovich, for instance, covered 60s pop to good effect, adding a layer of irony, of course:

I Think We're Alone Now and The Night

I'll take Patti Smith's worst over Jim Morrison's best any day, but I understand that that's a fairly unpopular opinion.

Because The Night
Frederick
Dancing Barefoot (shitty video, great audio)

If you listen to these clips, you'll see what I mean by revised energy and borrowed sources:

13th Floor Elevators You're Gonna Miss Me
X Johnny Hit and Run Pauline and Los Angeles (extra bonus: Nausea)

Reactions: MickeyLee

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Are songs from the '60's really "oldies"? :eek: [I love just about everything from that decade]

Going a little farther back, I tender anything by Billie Holiday and Louis Armstrong.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm also keen on Bossa Nova from Brazil:

Elis Regina Aguas de Marco

Joao Gilberto Desafinado
(The melody curls and wraps around like whiffs of smoke in the air)

And these songs from France which show a strong Latino/Bossa Nova influence:

Jacques Dutronc Il Est Cinq Heures, Paris S'Eveille
Francoise Hardy Comment Te Dire Adieux

French popular song had a golden age in the 50s and early 60s:

Yves Montand Sous Le Ciel De Paris

Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg Je T'Aime (Moi Non Plus)

Serge Gainsbourg La Javanaise

These tear-jerking scenes from Les Parapluies de Cherbourg, with Catherine Deneuve and Nino Castelnuovo (Music:Michel Legrand) are breathtaking.

Jacques Brel Chanson des Vieux Amants, Ne Me Quitte Pas, Amsterdam, Ces Gens La

Piaf T'es Beau, Tu Sais, Elle Frequentait La Rue Pigalle

Juliette Greco Parlez-Moi D'Amour, Deshabillez-Moi, Les Feuilles Mortes, St-Germain-Des-Pres

Reactions: MickeyLee

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Chantay - Doris Day

Cracklin Rosie - Neil Diamond

anything by Duane Eddy (guitar)

Happy Organ - Dave "Baby" Cortez (that's it's name, believe it or not)

Hang Em High - Booker T. and the MGs

Charlie Brown Theme - Vince Guaraldi

I haven't heard "Chantay" - I'll have to remedy that! The only Doris Day song that I know I've heard is "Que Sera Sera" which is a great song for me to sing along to! It suits my vocal range, and I'm looking for that lately!

"Happy Organ" - I've joked about that name before! My LTR guy had a copy of that album and I saw it, and said to him, "I see you have a Happy Organ".

Otis Redding - These Arms of Mine

Solomon Burke - Cry to Me

Solomon Burke - Tonight's the Night

Etta James - I'd Rather Go Blind

Dorothy Moore - Misty Blue

part of me Ipod's "Sunday Morning Slow Sex Mix" :smile:

All of the above! Plus Etta James and Dorothy Moore suit my vocal range as well, although I'm not sure if I can sing along with them yet.

I'll go along with many of these choices; however I have not been able to get my arms around that anything recorded in my lifetime is an oldie, but OK:redface:

Haha! Me too! I was shocked one day when I saw the jukebox had "Rock the Casbah" listed under "Oldies"! :eek: I'll know to really hang it up when Britney Spears is considered an "oldie" though. :biggrin1:

Going WAY back! I haven't heard this. But one singer I like from way, way back is Rudy Vallee.

Here are some great things from the 60s (a poorly understood decade, especially as far as the music went):

Zombies Tell Her No and She's Not There

We Five You Were On My Mind

Cyrkle Red Rubber Ball and Turn Down Day
(They look like such young Republicans with their short hair)

Spiral Starecase I Love You More Today Than Yesterday

Chris Montez The More I See You and Call Me
(I love the debutante dancer chicks in the second clip)

Left Banke Walk Away Renee

The Grass Roots Midnight Confession

Here's an excellent illustration of how apparent the utter exhaustion of popular music had become by the late 60s. When Diana Ross and The Supremes sings one of their Motown songs, they were provocatively brilliant. But once they launch into a medley of older popular songs, they lose credibility and get very Las Vegas.

I'm something of a Pre-Raphaelite when it comes to 60s music and would have to draw the curtain at St Pepper's: much as I admire and enjoy later things, there was a corrosive effect on rock and roll that led down some lonely paths, indeed, sometime around 1967, when "rock and roll" turned into just "rock". That doesn't mean that all at once the "music died", but it went into a coma (for me).

It didn't really emerge until punk rock jolted all those stoners with their eight-minute drum solos off the stage and the simplicity and energy came back. The groups called post-Punk cleaned the vomit off the stage left by the nihilistic punkers and and people started dancing again, and in much the same fashion as they had in the early-mid 60s.

Acts like Lene Lovich, for instance, covered 60s pop to good effect, adding a layer of irony, of course:

I Think We're Alone Now and The Night

I'll take Patti Smith's worst over Jim Morrison's best any day, but I understand that that's a fairly unpopular opinion.

Because The Night
Frederick
Dancing Barefoot (shitty video, great audio)

If you listen to these clips, you'll see what I mean by revised energy and borrowed sources:

13th Floor Elevators You're Gonna Miss Me
X Johnny Hit and Run Pauline and Los Angeles (extra bonus: Nausea)

Cyrkle's "Red Rubber Ball" is one of my All Time Favorite Songs! Did you know it was written by Paul Simon? (Trivia alert! :biggrin1:) I like Patti Smith a lot too.

Are songs from the '60's really "oldies"? :eek: [I love just about everything from that decade]

Going a little farther back, I tender anything by Billie Holiday and Louis Armstrong.

Me too! I kept reading when some of my favorite singers were compared to Billie Holliday or were mentioning her as an influence, so I just had to give her a listen. She also did one song that was banned at the time, but is such a great song (although very depressing!) that it remains well-known - "Strange Fruit".

Peggy Lee is also within my vocal range so I've been listening to her lately too!

Last edited:

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is one of my favorites - the lyrics aren't anything special but I love the voices and the tune!

Freddie and the Dreamers - "I'm Telling You Now"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx08B1zTzGQ

And in a similar vein, just about anything by Herman's Hermits.

This one, one of my favorite instrumentals...

The Ventures - "Walk Don't Run"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ11y7pYl-8

And since we're talking here about OLD tunes, here's the oldest on record!!!

"Song of Seikilos" (from Greece, from the first century! :eek:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWyXPpf7Vjo&feature=related
(and yes, I really do like it! And on top of that, the group that is performing it is from San Antonio, where I live!)

Here's their site:
SAVAE: San Antonio Vocal Arts Ensemble
(Also loving that their founder and manager is also their alto singer!)

Actually, "Song of Seikilos" is the first complete musical composition that survives today. The oldest musical composition that survives today (but in a fragment) is the First Delphic Hymn to Apollo, from around 138 BC. And there is a performance of it on YouTube as well!

First Delphic Hymn to Apollo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I0EgfFsJMk&feature=related

Now these are OLDIES!!!

Last edited: