Olympics coverage - camera "modesty"

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Adoniah Sheervolume, Jul 6, 2008.

1. D_Adoniah Sheervolume

D_Adoniah Sheervolume Account Disabled

Below is an email I sent to NBC Sports today:

"Hello,

I find it *infuriating* not being able to see the entire athlete in mens events. In swimming and especially track and field, it seems the camera-people are terrified of showing anything below the waistline in head-on shots during or before events start.

This "modesty" seems limited to American tv coverage of mens events (we see all of the women), and it's absolutely ridiculous. The legs are the major drivers in track and field. Being able to see athletes completely, head-on allows one to witness their exceptional technique during these performances.

PLEASE get over this puritanical policy.

(My name)

4-time Olympic Trials qualifier/particpant, (my sport)"

What do you think? Am I crazy...?

2. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

YouTube - 1996 Olympic 100m Final

Around 18 seconds in... mesmeric

:hypnotized:

Actually - I have no idea how you can watch sports without a full body shot. It IS a very stupid policy. But, let's face it, it is bad enough that athletes HAVE penises without us having to actually look at them! For shame! :rolleyes:

3. arkfarmbear

arkfarmbear New Member

I think it is ironic that you don't show pics of your dick to us but complain about similar behaviour from the broadcasters?!

4. D_Geffarde Phartsmeller

Why do I have the sneaking suspicion your real interest lies with seeing the athlete's package, not there "technique"...

5. B_Marius567

B_Marius567 New Member

will be nice watching the Olympics coverage in HD watching all them cute girls!!

6. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Hey hang on - the athletes do not actually have their cocks out.

There is no reason on God's green earth that the Networks should have to worry about showing athletes dressed for their sport, doing what they do. There is nothing overtly sexual about it. The OP has a reasonable point - the 'modesty' is stupid.

7. dreamer20

Gold Member

Unfortunately I think that sending this email won't improve matters. In fact your email will remind the puritans to be even more vigilant in this regard IMO.:frown1:

8. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    That's exactly what he's asking for, access to view these men's packages and, no offense to the OP, they probably knew what his email was about. It doesn't surprise me that they'd be this prudish. I'm surprised people are demanding the right to see crotches, just go outside. Again, no offense, they probably got a good laugh at that email if anything. If they're deadset on censoring the male body, telling them how much u wanna see it will only fuel their fire and remind them why they're censoring it.

9. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    seriously, don't the Olympics start next month, I don't get it.

But I sure wish they'd do the Olympics like the Greeks use to. But the camera would never go down then.

#9 Deno, Jul 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  10. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    While the o.p. may have a personal motive for wanting to see full body shots he, in a way, has a point. The absolute paranoia that American t.v. has in general about anything even remotely sexual in any regard is borders on the psychotic, and is, no doubt, due to right wing influences on what we now define as a sense of decency.

That's why when you see documentaries of tribal societies some of whom (in their own culture) are not ashamed of their bodies, "we" (our broadcasters) digitally emasculate the men, mostly, as if subliminally suggesting that there is something shameful or indecent about their nudity.

This wasn't always the case, and the change in our cultural sensitivity to such is noteworthy.

#10 b.c., Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  11. SteveT

SteveT Active Member

Albums:
    I don;t know if it's urban myth - it probably is - but I heard it said that Tim Henman had a stiffie on court once and the BBC had to, er, 'trim' its shots for a while.

12. 220483

Gold Member

THIS thread is just weird. I never in my life noticed that tv broadcasters didn't show the athlets whole body. I guess they don't, otherwise YOU wouldn't have started this thread but, WHY write a complaining letter to them. NOTHING'S going to change, and on the contrary, YOU'VE just remembered them on how the 'gay community' is on the look for some 'package' shots...

I think your're the one showing technique on HOW to look for some bouncing unsuspected meat! :p

13. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    no, I've noticed it to, but not in the Olympics so to speak. One has to remember that the footage shot is shown world wide and many countries are more uptight then the way some see the U.S. to be. Why shoot a runner whose balls are obviously flopping around when it will not be usable for broadcast. I'd suppose there might be people that would rather the camera zoom in for a closeup but everyone knows that no matter what country you would be in this is abnormal for television. I've even notice the quick move of the camera on other shows where a below eye level angle just happen to briefly show a crotch shot. In sports I see this done mostly in diving comps. where our dear boys are wearing next to nothing.

14. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You're not crazy for e-mailing NBC. I agree with you, and applaud you for taking action.

15. D_Adoniah Sheervolume

D_Adoniah Sheervolume Account Disabled

What he said (except for the first line--grin)!

16. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    #16 MarkLondon, Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  17. whatireallywant

Gold Member

Well, hey! I want to see the full body shots too! I mean, if they're going to get all huffy about full body shots of the men, why are they showing full body shots of the women? (and yes, I will admit that I'm checking out their packages... not just looking at athletic technique. :biggrin1:)

LOL @ doing the Olympics like the Greeks did! Let's just not have the rule that if women are caught watching the Olympics they're thrown off a cliff! :eek: Although I heard later that that rule was for MARRIED women if they were caught watching the Olympics. Single women were permitted to watch, and sometimes picked the guy they wanted for a relationship by watching them participate. Hey, I could go along with THAT! :biggrin1: (And of course the Greek Olympics were men only - I'd keep it like it currently is about women's participation...)

18. pronatalist

pronatalist Active Member

I agree, but however, they really should cancel the Olympics, as a huge and trivial waste of time and overpriced price-gouged gasoline.

And then China should be boycotted for their human rights abuses.

Anytime I see sports on TV, I tune to something else or put on a DVD, as I just don't see the relevance to real life. The ball goes back and forth, and somebody you don't know, "wins." Big deal. So noisy and boring. Much rather see a good action movie, or a great sci-fi story. I would much rather watch people playing a board game, Poker, or a video game, than sports.

19. sargon20

Gold Member

Blame the MPAA. The American version of censorship.

This.Film.Is.Not.Yet.Rated.

20. dreamer20

Gold Member

The other countries do their own editing. The censoring mentioned in the OP was done to appease the uptight in the U.S.A.

China isn't going to be boycotted by the U.S.A. in that regard as the U.S.A.'s reputation has been stained by its own record of human rights abuses.

Is US losing moral authority on human rights? Italy, Abu Gharab, Guantanamo, rendition | csmonitor.com

Draft saved Draft deleted