OMG I never have trouble like this

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Deno, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    This week has just been a downward spiral for my computer issues. I consider my self a hobbyist and not a tech wonder-kin. in preperation to install a more modern mother board along with a new video card and 2 gig of newer fast ram I bought a copy of window 7( yah I know I know ) and installed it ahead of time onto smaller hard drive until I get the 500 gig sata one I was installing in the new build. I didn't go overborad here since it didn't cost alot to get a better computer. The motherboard processor memory sats HDD and a 1gig DDR geforce 9200 pcie video card only came to 370 bucks. Well I digress. It all turned out that when I had troubel copying the 200 gig drive onto the 500 gig drive it somehow got bad partitions on it something it copied from the previous drive because when I put it in the new system it said the same thing about that one. I eventually had to shrink the volume on the 500 by 9 gig in order to get format to complete and get a decent file format on it. Then it was able to install windows 7 all over again on the new drive. Now I don't have a HDD with an OS on it to build the system I was gonna sell.

I'm downloading the dvd for Unbutu, think I try that once.

On the lighter side I did use my workign computer to format my harddrive and get windows 7 installed on the hard drive and it worked in the new build after I was able to get a good format on it. Is it possible this HDD was screwed before I got my hands on it.

2. Dorian_Gray

Gold Member

Albums:
    Some HDD's come defective with bad sectors. Not your fault, just a defective drive. What software did you use to mirror the smaller 200GB drive to the larger 500GB one? And what kind of 500GB drive did you go with?

3. pleasureboy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Operating systems "hide" some of their files in the startup parts of the partitions. It can be copied over but you have to take special steps like exposing all those files and making them "copyable" but really it's a bad idea to copy a smaller partition onto a larger one. Things just rarely work right.

Your best bet would be to use the fastest hard drive as your boot drive and then keep the other as a data drive. This will actually speed performance, especially in things like photoshop and videos and such.

If the new drive is a faster one (spin speed and transfer type etc) do a fresh load on it and then reinstall everything (pain in the ass but least likely to cause probs). If they're the same except for size, just put the old drive in your first slot and make it the boot drive like it used to be (you do this either through your bios screen at bootup, or by changing jumpers (little black things) on the back of the two drives -- one as master one as slave). With the latter solution you shouldn't have to redo your software.

You may need to use your windows 7 dvd to do a "repair" on the old drive so that it can add in the correct drivers for the new hardware.

4. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    I freaking got it, after I pulled the 1.8 ghz evga mobo out and put my used asus p4g8x in this ancient full tower case (which was my first build back in like 2002) the install of ubuntu I put on the HDD was reconized and started up in like 30 seconds. Seems the bracket that held the heat sink failed on the other board and all the times I attempted to do an install on a cdrom it must have overheated and froze the system.

I don't know which is worse on a build the tiny screws or the tiny wiring connectors for the case. I got huge hands and its not fun at all. So now I got this new computer and I want to play with ubuntu instead

5. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
  6. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    the paste I used worked ok what i need is a place to find a replacement part. I'd love to rebuild this mobo in an old case I hve in the closet. The plastic frame work that is mounted in the mother board that holds the mounting for the heat sink and fan is what broke. If I could figure out what it is even called I could possible find one somewhere. Any ideas folks.

7. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Search Google for "cpu cooler retention hardware."

Draft saved Draft deleted