omg omg omg omg omg

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I JUST PAID OFF ALL MY CREDIT CARDS! :eek:

I haven't had a zero balance on unsecured debt since... like, ever. I've had credit cards ever since I was in college. I would rarely go ballistic with them. However, for many years and especially during hard times and in between jobs, I would live off of them. Or I would have to charge tuition and fees and stuff, paying down what I could, but never seeming to get anywhere.

Yeah, I'm broke as a joke now but I have the albatross off mah neck. I don't know what to do! (other than NOT charge up a bunch of crap)

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Congratulations! As someone currently wallowing in $3000 debt, I know about the worry and that awful feeling of mental weight on the shoulders. It feels awesome when you lose them so enjoy that awesome feeling and try to hold onto it as long as you can!

EDIT: P.S. If your percentage was higher than 10%, I'd offer to help you celebrate without you having to use your card! :wink:

Last edited:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Congratulations I did this about three years ago and now only charge what I can pay in 30 days. I've never felt so free. Enjoy your financial freedom.

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Never buy anything you don't really NEED on credit. If you have a large balance get a line of credit instead and pay that off instead. The interest rate is much lower. Nothing is worth buying because it was a good price when the interest rate is 18 percent! When I was a student and unemployed I got used to never spending money. You quickly learn how little you can get by on. Congrats on paying off your debt.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I JUST PAID OFF ALL MY CREDIT CARDS! :eek:

I haven't had a zero balance on unsecured debt since... like, ever. I've had credit cards ever since I was in college. I would rarely go ballistic with them. However, for many years and especially during hard times and in between jobs, I would live off of them. Or I would have to charge tuition and fees and stuff, paying down what I could, but never seeming to get anywhere.

Yeah, I'm broke as a joke now but I have the albatross off mah neck. I don't know what to do! (other than NOT charge up a bunch of crap)

That's wonderful news, now you can pay off mine!

Please?

Catharsis

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Congratulations! I can understand how you feel to pay off anything you may owe. I remember when my dad finished paying for the cars, he was so relieved that it's one less monthly payment he would have to make.

I'll be getting a credit card, soon. I already have a debit card so I'll just be establishing a credit by using the credit card and pay that off using what's in my checking account.

I shall use the 0% APR in the first six months on all my textbooks for the whole year and some new clothes. I'm gonna take advantage of that for sure. But like I said, not spend any more than what I already have. :)

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Fill a zip lock baggie with water. Insert credit card. Freeze. Next time you feel tempted to use it, you'll have to thaw it out. While it thaws, you can think about how you feel at this precise, liberated moment. You can use the time to decide if you will actually let the car thaw. . .

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Congrats and good luck on keeping it cleared out for the rest of your life.

Seriously though, it's a great thing.

Breathing feels easier somehow when debt is gone.

:biggrin1:

atlclgurl

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Congrats!

Hopefully you can now start saving what you were using to pay off the debt and build yourself a nice cushy retirement!

AE, while the "freeze the card in ice" trick can work to keep the person who's got it from being a spendthrift, its also one of the first places a burglar will look, and if they get your card... watch out!

I know about this because my house got broken into - I was perplexed by why a frozen chicken that I had in the freezer was on the kitchen floor defrosting itself - and when I made a comment to the Police Officer taking my report, he said "Yeah, they always look in there for credit cards, you know where people have frozen their credit cards so they won't spend on it."

He didn't tell me where a safe place to keep the cards would be... I think a safe deposit box (if you already have one) is probably a decent place, makes it hard to get to, but keeps it safe from criminals!

Again, CONGRATS!

D_Doe_Ray_Mi

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Good job man! Yes, hopefully you can learn the discipline to use your credit wisely and pay off the balance every month ALWAYS!
I do have a home mortgage and recently a car payment after 16 years without a car payment but had to buy a new car. I charge everything on my VISA but pay it off every month. I carry no checks nor cash and thus have a record of every purchase in one place. Plus frequent flyer miles that have allowed me to travel the world!l

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Congrats!

Hopefully you can now start saving what you were using to pay off the debt and build yourself a nice cushy retirement!

AE, while the "freeze the card in ice" trick can work to keep the person who's got it from being a spendthrift, its also one of the first places a burglar will look, and if they get your card... watch out!

I know about this because my house got broken into - I was perplexed by why a frozen chicken that I had in the freezer was on the kitchen floor defrosting itself - and when I made a comment to the Police Officer taking my report, he said "Yeah, they always look in there for credit cards, you know where people have frozen their credit cards so they won't spend on it."

He didn't tell me where a safe place to keep the cards would be... I think a safe deposit box (if you already have one) is probably a decent place, makes it hard to get to, but keeps it safe from criminals!

Again, CONGRATS!
Whoever heard of a credit card with no theft protection?