On a Date- What do you talk about when you run out of things to say?

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"sooo... dont listen to what my friends say, I think your would look hot with a load of cum on your face"

"dont even try that "im on my period" thing... fuckign period blood is my forte"

"My last date was fucking hot, man, I wonder what she is doing right now"

"excuse me, I got to call my meth dealer"

thanks to pulp fiction, I have never been afraid of the awkward silence, since it was touted as a good thing to happen.

Notthe7

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh man, I always see guys struggling with this.

I'm pretty fucking great at making sure awkward silences don't happen.... but if I notice I'm working way too hard for the guy.. I'll let him sit there and ferment in his inability to hold a standard conversation.

Here are a few suggestions to keep things going:

Bring up something SHE can rant about
possibly in a joke form but if you're bad with humor stay away from it.

Ask her a basic question prompted from something she said earlier...
'So you said your boss was riding you at work, what's the deal?'

My personal favorite: make fun of those around you... this works really well for females... sometimes guys can look like jack ass's when they do it.. but if you can do it effectively [kiss kiss bang bang style] you got it made.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i always fill the awkward silences with a series of unamusing jokes. i never have second dates.

The Writer's Strike is really hitting home huh? :biggrin1:

Seriously, jokes aren't bad, but seriously, if jokes are your schtick, get a decent joke book and memorize the good ones. Try them on impartial ladies first and get an honest opinion.

I usually just start doing jokes on my childhood and that works like a charm.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I heard from someone that in Tibet, living is such isolation without much entertainment let alone TV, where everybody knew each other and there wasn't much new to talk about everyday that neighbors and loved ones would just visit each other sitting in silence over some shared tea. Not a word needed to be spoken to feel close to each other and enjoy each other's company. I suppose it is like that with people here who have known each other for a very very very long time.

Unfortunately, most dates don't realize this.

BigDuder

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The Writer's Strike is really hitting home huh? :biggrin1:

Seriously, jokes aren't bad, but seriously, if jokes are your schtick, get a decent joke book and memorize the good ones.

i do practice stand up comedy. my only probelm is i often make a joke about someting the woman holds dear before realizing tht she cares.

silvertriumph2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I heard from someone that in Tibet, living is such isolation without much entertainment let alone TV, where everybody knew each other and there wasn't much new to talk about everyday that neighbors and loved ones would just visit each other sitting in silence over some shared tea. Not a word needed to be spoken to feel close to each other and enjoy each other's company. I suppose it is like that with people here who have known each other for a very very very long time.

Unfortunately, most dates don't realize this.

Boy did you bring back memories!
When I was a small child I had an aunt and uncle and my cousins who lived in the rural south. I would occasionally visit for a weekend, or a week or two during the summer. They had a TV, but I can only remember a few times that it was ever turned on. Sometimes they listened to the radio. Their farm was a working one so it was early to bed and early to rise and I had chores while I was there.

After supper at night, they would all sit on the porch or in the living room....nothing being said. My aunt rocking and sewing, my uncle either reading or working on the farm records, or maybe repaired something.
My cousins, who were a few years older than I, constructed thier model airplanes, wittled cars or trains from wood or soap. Sometimes we played board games. Nothing much was said. Everything seemed to be understood. There were smiles and nods given to each other as if someone had said something and they were replying. About the only sounds were from the farm animals or the creeking of my aunt's rocker. The entire family was still living in another time, and it seemed like another world. Everyone seemed so happy and so relaxed, you couldn't help but to be happy and relaxed with them.

Although farm life was no easy task, that simple life helped my aunt and uncle to live, and be active, well into their late 90's!

At first I hated going there since I was accustomed to TV, and all the
excitement of the big city, but eventually those visits were a real joy! Those evenings were so peaceful, unrushed, and so relaxing, and I was so happy, that I hated to leave when the time came to return home.

Thanks Earl, for bringing back those good days and memories for me.
(of course this has nothing to do with being comfortable on a date)

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The silences determine if he's going to get laid. If the silences are uncomfortable, the answer is no. I'm really chatty, but if I really have nothing to say, I just shut up. And I hope the other person will only talk if they have something to say. If not, I hope we can just be quiet, people-watch, listen to our surroundings, and see of we can see what the other is thinking in each other's faces. I don't care if he's not got much to say if beingsilent isn't awkward.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Silences are ok when you know one another well, for me when you're getting to know one another I have to have lots of talk, as if we're both eager to know everything about each other.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Silences are ok when you know one another well, for me when you're getting to know one another I have to have lots of talk, as if we're both eager to know everything about each other.

Of course having lots of talk is better to me as well. But if the talk does stop for a minute or two, I'm okay with that, as long as he doesn't feel uncomfortable. I tend to talk on the phone with a guy a lot before we go out. We should be comfortable already.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
To be honest, I don't experience awkward silence unless the date was awkward to begin with. But talk about anything. People love it when you ask questions about them. And if you've run out of "extra" things to talk about, then talk about the date itself. "Are you having fun?" That kinda stuff.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well... to be honest, I didn't read the whole thread, but I'm exhausted. So I'm going to add something else, but it's very possible that this has already been said.

Skim the local news before you go on your date... try to pick out articles that you think the other person may be interested in as well as yourself. When you run out of things to talk about, bring up something you read in the paper/online. "Hey, did you hear about.... ?"

Notthe7

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
lmfao bigduder.

If you sound like larry david, you've won my heart.
but i think curb your enthusiam has proved you'll probably get into SOME trouble.

I've offended plenty of dates/random guys i meet.

I've got a running tab for those dipshits.

manhattaner

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A good way to ensuring (of sorts) that conversation won't be a problem is to start a date with a movie and then sit down somewhere and talk. That way when you run out of things to say, you can always talk some more about the movie, other movies this director made, etc. It's kind of a cheesy way out, but hey, better than nothing.