Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I know we've talked a bit here and there about makeup, but I'm wondering how many ladies here follow any of the beauty-guru's on YouTube and which ones!?

Right now I'm really into Tati, nikkietutorials, Manny Mua, and of course, the one and only... Jeffree Star.

I've always been a JennaMarbles fan, and she mentioned how she's down this beauty tutorial rabbit hole... I fell right in. I can't afford high end shit, but I'm saving up to get myself some Jeffree Star liquid lipsticks and Skin Frost highlighters... I'd get the Beauty Killer pallet too, but shit's kinda pricey. Dammit! I hear so many good things about his products, and I saw his new metallic pink liquid lipstick.... DAMN!! I wannit!

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I went to school to be a makeup artist. I watch random tutorials but really don't subscribe to any one person. I, too, am I huge Jenna Marbles fan. One half of me spends good money on certain makeup and then I will go to the drug store and bring in a haul. I like vibrant colors, the brighter the better.

Every day I try to do something different with my palette.

sweetlucky12

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I honestly never thought of going to the Internet for makeup advice. Guess I've been sheltered. I'll give it a go.

Me too. I'm always amazing at the stuff people use YouTube for. My sister learned how to change her own iPhone battery on there. I was like "how they hell do you know how to do that?" Makeup is another example I never would have thought of. Maybe I should check it out too. Pretty crazy the stuff you can find out there.

Reactions: fluffychocolate

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Wayne Goss. Even though he is white and I've never seen him use a dark model, his channel fascinates me.

I feel like I'm doing a good job when people just copliment me on my skin when I know I'm wearing a dozen or more products. I mostly get asked about my lip gloss or my eye shadow. When celebrities were on a makeup-free kick on social media, making posts I though sounded judgemental towards those of us who wouldn't go anywhere but the gym without ALL THE MAKEUPZ , I posted my own series of rants about how makeup is teh lurve.

The gyst was basically that health issues have made my skin multicolored, and anytime my reflection doesn't match my mental image of myself, I take a few moments to get my stuff in order. This is MY FACE , not the damned rainbow coalition. Ain't nobody got time to be their own Care Bear Stare. Please. I don't even grow any actual eyebrows. My thyroid kicked them out a few years ago, and they haven't come back. So I take the time to arrange the face I have always known. I don't want to see a stranger in the mirror. So. Smooth, blemish free, mocha complexion? Check! Healthy glow? Yup. Eyebrows? Drawn on one hair at a time. Alert, cheerful expression? Of course. Thank you, make up. I love you. And I love me, so I will keep company with you forever.

Besides. I grew up with my grandmother who wouldn't take out the trash without lipstick and a good raincoat. This is just how we roll. I found that my friends and acquaintances believed my Facebook profile picture was taken bare faced. Nah. A little bronzer and blush and concealer are like Photoshop for real life.

I got into really natural looks because of YouTube tutorials. I learned to contour. I learned to highlight. I learned to do it without looking heavily made up. Now, I have been watching baking tutorials for a few months. I really want to try it, but I've never seen one I liked with my skin tone and type. I'm pretty convinced it'll advertise every wrinkle or come out too pale or too dark. I haven't had time to experiment, wash face, experiment, wash face and just get it right. Maybe sometime next year.

But Wayne Goss. Maybe it's his accent and slightly catty commentary, but he makes me think of a Drag Queen out of drag, and there is something very soothing in that.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Baking tutorials?

I'm thinking kitchens.

I know, it's a weird way to describe it... but supposedly it's like a miracle technique if you can do it right.

I want to try it too... but like AE describes, I don't want to go through the trial and error period if I don't get it right the first time. Makeup is expensive, even drugstore shiz. I don't wanna waste any of it, and it's pretty time consuming.

I love make-up, but I'm really not a huge fan of the youtube tutorials. For me, the whole point of it is to improve and embellish what's there, and I think that many of the youtube tutorials look mask-like, and would also look very different in natural daylight, or just the wrong light.
My skin is oily, and currently my favourite products are:
Revlon matte balm and laquer balm pencils,
Estee Lauder doublewear foundation,
L'Oreal infallible matte liquid foundation,
L'Oreal infallible matte compact powder foundation,
Maybelline color tattoo eyeshadow, which I kind of use as an eyeliner,
Currently trying to find a good waterproof mascara, as the one I liked has been discontinued.

The L'Oreal liquid foundation is fantastic compared to Chanel lumiere, and Diorskin, and considerably cheaper.

Most days I just use a bit of the compact powder foundation and a bit of lip balm. In some ways the youtube tutorials might be useful, but on the other hand I am so glad I'm not 20 or so years younger. The pressure to spend hours shut in your room trying to cover your real face in several layers of paint to make it suitable for interacting with the rest of the world is way more overwhelming now than it's ever been.

I know, it's a weird way to describe it... but supposedly it's like a miracle technique if you can do it right.

I want to try it too... but like AE describes, I don't want to go through the trial and error period if I don't get it right the first time. Makeup is expensive, even drugstore shiz. I don't wanna waste any of it, and it's pretty time consuming.
I will not be baking my face, I've had it long enough to know that it would be a big mistake. :D

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My personal make up guru does not have online tutorials but he has done commercials and weddings for the past 15 years. Once upon a time he was the only boy allowed at our slumber parties. He keeps telling me baking is everything and to just jump on and try it.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I stopped watching at the brushing in/off stage, but my impression is that baking is a primer of sorts, powder as filler, allowed to set, then buffed.

I sort of do a similar thing, where the bb cream goes on, powder goes on, other tasks get done and then I remove whatever is not set. Then mascara. Lip balm is the last thing, as it has limited staying power.

I do that because of the moisture/spf needs to sink in.

lil peachie

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've watched a few & I find them seriously annoying. But then my daily makeup routine is mascara & tinted lip balm. I'll do full eyes on a night out but I hate foundation & powder, I stopped doing a full face of makeup years ago & magically my skin cleared up.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I've watched a few & I find them seriously annoying. But then my daily makeup routine is mascara & tinted lip balm. I'll do full eyes on a night out but I hate foundation & powder, I stopped doing a full face of makeup years ago & magically my skin cleared up.

To each their own. :)

I don't do my makeup daily... actually it's pretty damn rare. Lately I've just had a colorful as fuck hair up my ass. It's fun sometimes... but it's expensive and time consuming..

Reactions: lil peachie

lil peachie

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
To each their own. :)

I don't do my makeup daily... actually it's pretty damn rare. Lately I've just had a colorful as fuck hair up my ass. It's fun sometimes... but it's expensive and time consuming..

If you've got the time and energy go for it! I used to spend hours on it & as I've gotten older I just don't anymore.