Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
cheapie note for make-up guru wannabes
the dollar store. pigmentation leaves a bit to be desired
lasting wear ain't something you gonna get.
but you will get cheapo make-up for experimenting with
if you can beat ya face with dollar store gear you are among the rarefied

ShopMissA very cheap *mostly a dollar* make-up
delivery is snails paced but reliable
bad ass for baby diva stocking stuffers

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I'm currently using Estee Lauder powder blush... it was a gift a long, long time ago. It's a gold blush/bronzer palette, I think from an old Christmas special. I use what I can get my hands on, and try to make it last as long as possible. I've heard cream blushes can be more difficult to work with because the consistency is more likely to move your foundation around... and typically blush is applied after foundation, so it's hard to avoid, and because I'm always so iffy on spending money on beauty stuffs anyway, I haven't given cream blushes a go.

BTW, Love the Estee Lauder blushes I have now, they blend beautifully and the palette I have is actually pretty versatile. If only I could always afford the higher end stuff...

Reactions: AlteredEgo

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am, I believe, quite a bit older than you, and prone to dry skin. As a result, powder blushes can settle into fine lines that have begun to crop up and prematurely age me. If my skin is left bare, or only creamy products are used, those lines are invisible.

To use cream blush in conjunction with foundation and/or concealer, I find a different brush is required. The blush must be tapped on, not swiped on, using a tight brush with long, soft bristles like a concealer or foundation brush.

I actually use some of my discoloration to my advantage. My thyroid has determined that the skin below my cheekbones must be significantly darker than the surrounding skin. I used to conceal that, and then apply a contour color there and along my jaw. Now, I leave most of my face alone, apply primers, apply concealer to other discolored parts of my face, blush the apples of my cheeks, highlight my cheekbones (and all the other places that light hits), draw on my eyebrows, and then I use a powdered bronzer to set my cheeks and the bridge of my nose, and pressed powder to keep the tip of my nose from shining, and help blend my blush and highlight on my cheeks near my nose.

Your mileage may vary, but my result is real life photoshop. It looks like someone follows me around filtering the light that hits my face, causing my skin to glow.

Reactions: hunghorse30

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
While we're on the subject, do any of you use cream blush? I'm not married to my current brand. I could be lured to another team. Bonus points for cream blush with gold microglitter already in. I'm all about the glow right now.

I have used the PUR Cosmetics from ULTA. I've been out of it for a while, but I'll probably pick some up on my next trip. Using L'Oreal True Match until then.

cheapie note for make-up guru wannabes
the dollar store. pigmentation leaves a bit to be desired
lasting wear ain't something you gonna get.
but you will get cheapo make-up for experimenting with
if you can beat ya face with dollar store gear you are among the rarefied

ShopMissA very cheap *mostly a dollar* make-up
delivery is snails paced but reliable
bad ass for baby diva stocking stuffers
I looked, and noticed they had a few e.l.f. bits. E.l.f is a cruelty-free brand.

The e.l.f. site has 50% off orders over $30 for black friday. This is the American site, but you can select whichever country you are in.

http://www.elfcosmetics.com/

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I looked, and noticed they had a few e.l.f. bits. E.l.f is a cruelty-free brand.

The e.l.f. site has 50% off orders over $30 for black friday. This is the American site, but you can select whichever country you are in.

http://www.elfcosmetics.com/

I really like e.l.f. I can actually afford it, and most of what I've tried actually applies and wears well. I know it stands for eyes-lips-face... but I think it should be everybody-looks-fabulous.

One of the only beauty/etc youtube people I follow is Jennifer Chiu. I follow Guy Tang as well because fancy hair dyeing.

Semi-related, I've become a huge fangirl of everything Colour Pop. Their prices suit my budget just fine and dandy, firstly.. but also all their eye shadows I've tried so far have been lovely. Their satin, metallic, and matte lipsticks are pretty amazing. I'm not as big a fan of the glossy lipsticks, as I find them a smidgen sticky feeling for my liking. I got a couple of highlighters from them but I'm not make-up savvy enough to quite figure out what the hell to do with them yet. I got a couple of eye liners from them too, but haven't had the chance to try them out yet.

Eye shadows are $5, liquid lipsticks are $6, and highlighter is $8. Within the USA shipping is free on orders over $30, plus they constantly are having sales. It's letting me get back into make-up without breaking the bank

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
*bump*

So, uh... I'm about 15 shades of excited right now. I just found out that the wonderful MannyMUA is coming out with his own makeup line: Lunar Beauty.

Most of my makeup comes from the drugstore, but from time to time I like to spoil myself with a lil something nice. Lunar Beauty products will likely be in that short list of things I'll grab from time to time when I want to spoil myself a lil.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I have no doubt that all of you are beautiful with or without makeup.:)

Aww shucks! :blush:

I wear makeup maybe twice a month at most... It's just so fun to play and experiment with colors. The art, oh the art.. I just love it.

Thank you for the kind words though :heart:

I've bought some suspiciously cheap make-up recently, so cheap that you'd expect it to be awful, but I was pleasantly surprised. Don't judge me! To be fair I bought it because I had read good reviews first. I've bought a few different W7 things, and a few Essence products that I was very pleased with. They weren't all winners, but some of them have become favourites. W7 is a British brand so it might not be so cheap and widely available in the states.

I bought this W7 palette, which is a dupe for the ABH subculture palette, and I love it.

https://www.w7cosmetics.co.uk/products/on-the-rocks

Decent dupes is where I'm at at the moment, and to be honest, some of them are so good that I feel resentful about some of the more expensive items I've bought in the past.

Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy

Even though I'm late to the game I love yellow eyeshadow at the moment, I hadn't thought it would suit me or be remotely wearable in real life, but it does!, and it is!
On the quest for the perfect yellow I came across this: the perfect antidote to watching too many make-up tutorials.

Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
@swoon I totally feel you.. usually use e.l.f and wet'n'wild. A lil Maybelline here and there, but nothing high end.

Jeffree Star has great quality products but to be honest one of the main reasons I choose to support his brand is the fact that I've been a fan of his artistry since he was doing music. I adore his style.

I only spend money on his stuff when I have a lil cash to treat myself and if I feel like rewarding myself for working hard and taking care of my shit. It is pricey for me, and it isn't even technically "high end".

And as for your new love of yellow shadows, I fuck with that! I love experimenting with new colors.

Reactions: 950483