On Transparency

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I suppose there was an inevitability to my chiming in on this thread at some point. :rolleyes:

The off-the-cuff outline I gave, which provided the basis for this thread, was merely that, and certainly not any kind of fixed blueprint to be taken verbatim. A revision along the lines of "the GoneA solution" or the "novice_btm variant" would make perfect sense if it is believed that giving more detailed reasons jeopardizes privacy. One might also have a couple of additional cover-all options such as "mysexybabyarm was banned for undisclosed reasons", which, if used sparingly, would not imho get anybody's nose out of joint - this particular formulation would simply signal an exceptional case in which it was necessary to maintain complete privacy.

mindseye said:
Out of 163 accounts currently banned by the moderating team, 130 of them have been for either being underage or for commercial spamming (so the thread Alex proposes would be really boring). The remaining 33 accounts -- many of them were multiple accounts, so the actual number of incidents we've dealt with by banning is small.
I didn't ever promise that a "sin bin"-type thread would be gripping reading. However, I do believe that its simple existence would bring transparency so that the populace does not feel alienated from the site's decision-makers. Indeed, it is the difference between feeling that one is operating within the borders of "open debate within the limits of an autocracy", as I outlined in greater detail in a post on 19th March; and between suddenly feeling that one has been deposited in the midst an online community that has taken Pinochet's Chile as its model of leadership, with unexplained disappearances of familiar 'faces' and the inability to discuss these simply 'the order of the day'.

One point I would like to reiterate and expand on, though, is that I stressed any 'sin bin'-type thread should be a closed sticky to which only moderators could contribute. While mindseye and others appear to have envisaged this as simply an endless cavalcade of 160+ repetitive posts, I would suggest that it need never extend beyond a single post in length. Since moderators are able to go in and re-edit posts at any point, it would simply be a case of a mod adding a new line of text to the opening post each time a new ban was implemented, so that this OP might resemble something like this:

25-Sept-2007 bigdixxxxx was banned for commercial spamming
28-Sept-2007 21hotinches was issued a 3-day suspension for flaming
2-Oct-2007 UnDiStEnDeD was banned for being underage
5-Oct-2007 i-am-mary was issued a 7-day suspension for wearing white shoes after Labor Day
17-Oct-2007 fairweatherfriend was banned for commercial spamming
19-Oct-2007 little16 was banned for being underage
22-Oct-2007 15andhot was banned for being underage
25-Oct-2007 lolitas_lovechild was banned for being underage
30-Oct-2007 flickabooger was banned for being underage

etc. etc. etc.

It may not be scintillating reading, but it lets ordinary users feel that they have some idea of what's going on; and is it really any less interesting than a function such as "site statistics"? :rolleyes:

Pecker said:
Be assured, friends, that the mod team is neither on a power trip nor do we wish to be authoritarian in any way.
Ultimately, I don't think anyone would ever have suggested that this was the case with regard to you lovely people. It was more a question, from my perspective at least, of having started to give the appearance of having adopted an authoritarian (and by association, an alienating) manner. Hence the reason for transparency having been the keyword throughout my posts.

Shelby said:
It kills me that people take this shit seriously.
I'll probably be offering up further lengthy posts for your entertainment in the coming days, so please stay tuned to Comedy Central on LPSG. :rolleyes:

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Wait a minute---Alex8 was banned??? I definately missed something.....When Alex gets banned, either the world is coming to an end (I can only hope), or else things have gotten waaaay out of hand around here!! Banning Alex from making intellegent, well thought out contributions to this board, would be like banning Abert Einstein from discussing general relativity......it just doesn't make any sense....but, what do I know......

B_Hung Muscle

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
kdog875 said:
Wow!...things are really intense on this thread....but right now i have to call it a night. I just hope all of this gets resolved, thats all.

Whatever you guys decide to do about disclosing the status and reasons of banned members is cool with me. I just want to be able to drool over kdog's pics, mindseye's sincerity and Lex's raw sexuality.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
mindseye said:
Shelby:

You've made it clear that you don't take this seriously through your flippant posts.. Other people do take this seriously, however, and at least two people have openly considered leaving LPSG over this. I respected those people enough to give them an honest response, and I don't appreciate you mocking me for having done so.

*temporarily abandons flippant mode*

*apologizes*

*returns to flippant mode*

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
alex8 said:
The thing I really like about your posts is the way that they're never focused purely on you, you, YOU the whole time. :rolleyes:

Now, am I right in thinking that you were one of the buns ordered to go with the sausages mentioned above by MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK? :tongue:

Well, it is called TRANSPARENCY:tongue: