Once again, obama gets it right !!!!!

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Let's hope that a majority of voters in November see it for what it is.

...the current GOP's message screams of paranoia, fear, social & economic division. Political dishonesty isn't good on any level, but the current GOP's tactics are so vehemently destructive and transparent...

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Midlifebear, please attend a Senator Reid campaign event and give him a big ol' kiss on the cheek (and your vote in November). He's all you've (and we've) got.

You think you have something to be frustrated about regarding the upcoming election?

Remember when you go to the poll booth in November that I, Midlifebear, must choose between Harry Reid and Sharron Angle.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Oops, musta missed that:
Maxcok:

You think you have something to be frustrated about regarding the upcoming election?

Remember when you go to the poll booth in November that I, Midlifebear, must choose between Harry Reid and Sharron Angle.
Esteemed Bear:

Well it's hardly a Hobson's choice, now is it? I said I'd like him replaced as majority leader.
I'm perfectly fine if he stays in the Senate. Or we could end up with this First Amendment expert:

Sharron Angle to Carl Cameron of Fox News:
"We wanted [journalists] to ask the questions we want to answer so that they report the news the way we want it to be reported."

Last edited:

B_crackoff

Experimental Member
Media
I figure it was a close-but-no-cigar remembrance that the Organisation of the Islamic Conference has 56 members.
She's close, but no cigar, see?

That would pretty much be this Canadian's (irrelevant) tipping point.

Turns out that it is 57 states of Islam

Organisation of the Islamic Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And Obama said that he had one left to go.

>bt: The 58(?) States of Barack Obama

Which makes 58. Which makes no sense.

Then he said he wasn't allowed to go to Hawaii or Alaska.

Which makes 60.

Though he actually had been to Hawaii.

Barack Obama wants to be president of these 57 United States | Top of the Ticket | Los Angeles Times

Which might make 59?:confused:

Epic fuck up of Dubya or Palinesque proportions, though of course, more unusual.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Turns out that it is 57 states of Islam

Well, that's odd.
When I googled "Organisation of the Islamic Conference," here's what the results list showed:

Organisation of the Islamic Conference

Association of 56 Islamic states promoting Muslim solidarity in economic, social, and political affairs. [Arabic, English, French]
www.oic-oci.org/ - Similar

But inside the website, where I didn't go, it says 57, just as you have, crackoff.
You got me.
Tnx for the heads up.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
apparently tom kat you are either deaf or blind. the president kept his promise and is keeping his others when it comes to Iraq and Afghanistan. No , i am not joking. but apparently you feel it is all a joke. what a sad person you must be. my condolences to what must be left of your soul.
:confused:

How do you figure? Iraq=50,000 troops STILL there Afghanistan: troops still there DADT: still in place (which could be stopped with an executive order) DOMA: still in place, AND defended by OBAMA'S justice dept. So, which promises is he keeping?

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Oops, musta missed that:
Esteemed Bear:

Well it's hardly a Hobson's choice, now is it? I said I'd like him replaced as majority leader.
I'm perfectly fine if he stays in the Senate. Or we could end up with this First Amendment expert:

Sharron Angle to Carl Cameron of Fox News:
"We wanted [journalists] to ask the questions we want to answer so that they report the news the way we want it to be reported."

The Harry Reid campaign needs to run an ad with that Angle quote. The tagline could be ...."Do we REALLY want this crazy ass bitch to be the next Senator from Nevada?" Geez, God must hate Nevada- having John Ensign and Sharron Angle as your two Senators...

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I won't go into the substantive differences; you know that's a rash and cliche' statement, and you know it's not true. There are more similarities than there ought to be, due to the increasing influence of corporate and other special interest money, but please tell me how else the Dems are going to compete in elections without it? I keep yammering and hammering on this as the root issue that determines the outcome of all others, and therefore needs to be addressed before all others. Most people probably think I'm on a tangent with that, but funny how when you look at any legislation that gets passed, it nearly always comes back to the money.

I'm flattered you love me, baby. You're a little too impetuous and emotional for me, but I like you a lot. I hope that's enough. :wink:

"in the end" LOL! Anyway, you like that, don't you baby? :wink:

I'm in 110% agreement with all that. Actually the net result will be increasing premiums, increasing costs to consumers, and reduction in services. The most significant thing this bill did was guarantee a vastly increased market and profit for Big Medicine. Still, I wouldn't say he lost his balls so much on healthcare, as much as he abdicated his responsibility: standing on the sidelines while Congress crafted irreconcilable versions of bills, never pushed his own (or the people's) priorities, did not defend and communicate those priorities to the public, and left congressional members to fend for themselves when they came under attack. In the eleventh hour, the Dems were determined to pass something, anything, just to prove that they could. It would be a joke, except there's nothing funny about it.

Less noticed because of its complexity and lower position on the public radar is how the financial overhaul bill was similarly compromised. Placing the still to be defined 'Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection' inside the Federal Reserve is tantamount to housing chickens in the foxes' den, for example. It is vitally important that Elizabeth Warren be seated to head that agency if it is to be effective at all. Another example, the bill does not do nearly enough to regulate derivatives, those mysterious financial instruments that brought the whole house of plastic cards down in the first place.
"Most of the new rules won't take effect right away. The Obama administration has a full year, for example, to empower a Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection that is being created.

Regulators will take months to study dozens of issues in the 2,300-page law before drafting rules. Among them: Should the government limit the size of banks? How should stockbrokers be held accountable for advice they give to clients? How can credit ratings be made more reliable?

All of that means the real-world impact of the law will depend on how it's interpreted by regulators -- the same regulators who were blamed for failing to head off the financial crisis."

He didn't say "the War is over", in fact he consciously and pointedly did not say that. What he said was combat operations had ceased, and we are shifting into a support mission with the Iraquis taking the lead to provide for their own security. To be realistic, we will have a presence there for a long time, but you can't blame him for trying to clean up the impossible mess inherited from the previous administration. Their goal, hatched in the PNAC think tank, was to enforce "stability" on the Middle East. :rolleyes2: As a result of their irresponsible actions, the region is ironically more destabilized than ever (not to mention the impact it's had on the US and world enonomies, and what it's done to our standing on the world stage).

It is naive in the extreme to suggest we could completely and unilaterally pull out at this point without the entire region descending quickly into chaos, possibly all out war, which would require we return with greater force and greater costs in money, lives and global stability. US and world interests are at stake here. The Bush administration broke Iraq and upset the balance of power in the region. Obama can't magically fix it. The best we can do for now is try to hold it together with military and diplomatic glue until the Iraqis get their shit together politically and can stand on their own. That's pragmatic reality; get used to it.

I'm withholding judgement here until the troop survey is complete and we see what the Joint Chiefs come up with. I still believe it's going to happen by early next year. If not, talk to me in Jan/Feb.

It wasn't quite a direct comparison, though including those cases in the argument certainly raised my eyebrows. In fact, I found it disgusting and inflammatory. Setting that and the emotion aside, the Justice Department is required to defend these cases until Congress changes or repeals the law. We can at least take assurance that the present administration abides by the law; compared to the previous administration, which picked and chose cases and illegally used Justice to push an ideological agenda.

I am increasingly frustrated and disappointed, but I am not done. Though I have never been an ardent acolyte, he's had my full support on his stated goals. But as they say around here, the proof is in the pudding. My major beefs are that he has been unfocused, his priorities are misplaced, he's not stood up to the opposition much at all, and he's been ineffective at communicating his message and building public support. I addressed that here: #21 #25

Still, we're in the middle of a raging river here. Are you ready to to get off the horse we're on when the alternative is much worse? What he does from here going forward, how the Dems fare in the mid terms, and what (if anything) comes out of the new Congress once it's seated will tell the tale. Then I'll be ready to reassess. If, for example, the Bush tax credits are extended for the top wage earners, it may be time for a popular revolt.

All I'm saying is maybe the Greens will be better dates. They'll at least call you back the next morning.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
:confused:

How do you figure? Iraq=50,000 troops STILL there Afghanistan: troops still there DADT: still in place (which could be stopped with an executive order) DOMA: still in place, AND defended by OBAMA'S justice dept. So, which promises is he keeping?

Come on, TomCat, you know that argument is disingenuous.
We may not approve of all of Obama's precarious methods of approach towards maintaining his campaign promises, nor do we have to be completely satisfied with the results (as in the case of Health Care Reform for an example). It would be nice if things went a little faster, but the man is trying and in many ways meeting his campaign promises.

Don't make me break out that steak & meatloaf analogy again... :tongue:

The Harry Reid campaign needs to run an ad with that Angle quote. The tagline could be ...."Do we REALLY want this crazy ass bitch to be the next Senator from Nevada?"

LOL!!! I'm not even running for Senate, but I approve of this message!!! :biggrin:

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Come on, TomCat, you know that argument is disingenuous.
We may not approve of all of Obama's precarious methods of approach towards maintaining his campaign promises, nor do we have to be completely satisfied with the results (as in the case of Health Care Reform for an example). It would be nice if things went a little faster, but the man is trying and in many ways meeting his campaign promises.

Don't make me break out that steak & meatloaf analogy again... :tongue:

Sorry VB, but I'm sick and tired of waiting for the breadcrumbs to fall from the table of power. I'm sick and fucking tired of the cocktail queers (read: HRC) saying we have to be patient. Fuck that. Tell Obama to grow a pair, sign an executive order stopping enforcement of DADT until Congress passes legislation, and fire any military commander who disagrees.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Sorry VB, but I'm sick and tired of waiting for the breadcrumbs to fall from the table of power. I'm sick and fucking tired of the cocktail queers (read: HRC) saying we have to be patient. Fuck that. Tell Obama to grow a pair, sign an executive order stopping enforcement of DADT until Congress passes legislation, and fire any military commander who disagrees.

I think this is one of the few areas where we disagree slightly.
Everything takes time, and despite my desires to see DADT repealed and HRC to include a Public Option (among other things) I know that we have to be patient. Obama has at least two more years in his presidency (possibly six). That's plenty of time for him and his administration to see through his agenda. I'm not saying that DADT is not important (in fact, I've been pretty loud about this and other gay rights issues on LPSG), nor am I ignoring the officers who are now facing termination from the Military because of this unjust rule. And as much as Obama does need to grow a set of balls on certain issues, he can't in the process shoot his load in everyone's eyes. Just like a poker player, all the cards need to be played in a timely fashion.

Think of it this way (and I promise, no mentioning of meatloaf or steak on this one)... if Lincoln freed the slaves in 1863, then why did it take a century later for them to be granted their civil rights? My mom posed me that question back when I was young, and I still remember it to this day. :wink:

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think this is one of the few areas where we disagree slightly.
Everything takes time, and despite my desires to see DADT repealed and HRC to include a Public Option (among other things) I know that we have to be patient. Obama has at least two more years in his presidency (possibly six). That's plenty of time for him and his administration to see through his agenda. I'm not saying that DADT is not important (in fact, I've been pretty loud about this and other gay rights issues on LPSG), nor am I condoning the officers who are now facing termination from the Military because of this unjust rule. And as much as Obama does need to grow a set of balls on certain issues, he can't in the process shoot his load in everyone's eyes. Just like a poker player, all the cards need to be played in a timely fashion.

Think of it this way (and I promise, no mentioning of meatloaf or steak on this one)... if Lincoln freed the slaves in 1863, then why did it take a century later for them to be granted their civil rights? My mom posed me that question back when I was young, and I still remember it to this day. :wink:

Well, because the Republicans lost their balls in the 1870s, and pulled troops out of the South. If you remember your post 1865 US History, several southern states actually had Republican (and largely black) governments. Once the troops pulled out, groups like the KKK were able to successfully intimidate Blacks at the polls, and elect racist Democratic governments, who then proceeded to implement stricter and stricter Jim Crow laws. It was around that time that Republicans became largely pro big business and more anti middle class and working class

DevonTexas

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I almost wish I voted for Hillary in the primary. She may be more moderate than Obama, but at least she would FIGHT

Hillary also had the experience which the democrats ignored in the primaries. I had only voted Republican until Obama.

And, If Nit Romney is the best they can throw up this time, I'll never vote Republican again. Both parties are fucked.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Hillary also had the experience which the democrats ignored in the primaries.

Not true. As someone who voted for Hillary Clinton during the Primary, everyone knew that she was the favorite to win the Democratic nomination. In fact, she lead in delegates throughout a major portion of the primary race. Her mistake was assuming that it was "in the bag", and with various verbal gaffes by herself, her husband and a pretty flimsy campaign she wound up losing.

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Either way, it is crucial that the Dems hold onto their majorities in both houses of Congress. I'm not saying that the Dems aren't flawed, even very deeply (corporate donations, Blue Dogs/conservatives, etc.), but we will have a better chance of favorable policy outcomes, at least to a small degree, if Congress remains in Dem hands. Such a situation may be frustrating and seem very lame to the more liberal among us, but we cannot allow the return of any powerbase to the Republicans. Most of these motherfuckers are simply evil and they need to be kept in their place. And, right now, the Dems are all we've got. Let's do the best we can and politically educate the country from a position of at least relative strength.

Obama has at least two more years in his presidency (possibly six). That's plenty of time for him and his administration to see through his agenda.