Once You Go Black, You Never Go Back

gigantikok: Just saw "School of Rock" with Jack Black ...

...and I MUST proclaim...

JACK BLACK IS THE KING OF COMEDY!!!!!!

well, maybe that is a bit of a bold statement, but I think he is the funniest man in America. I swear, he can make ANY script funny with his mannerisms. Hell, he may be less versatile than Jim Carrey, but god damn, he is less hammy/schmacty, and much funnier.

Ok, that's just my opinion, of course.

hawl: I haven't seen the movie but I think Mr. Black has been much cooler than the overrated (or so often poorly used in garbagey vehicles) Jim Carrey for a while. I liked him in Orange County and his hosting of SNL was great.

sammygirly: Max and I like Steven Wright. The guy's frickin hilarious and can send me into fits of giggles (Shuddup Paul, i do NOT giggle at everything)

http://www.stevenwright.com/index.shtml

"Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have."

"All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand."

awellhungboi: I agree with all y'all. Steven Wright is hilarious. And Jack Black is a force of nature--he's pretty amazing. I liked Jim Carrey before he decided he was a 'serious actor'. Why do actors do that? It's like when De Niro started making all those lame comedies.

Eddie Izzard is high on my list of comedian/actors. ("Cake or death?") I also like George Carlin and Chris Rock a lot. And Monty Python, of course.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm inclined to agree. As a musician turned actor, Jack's really hilarious. I saw him in "Shallow Hal", and DAMN if he wasn't an absolute freakin' riot.

You don't find someone like him out there on a whim.

gigantikok: Making this topic a little more open to everyone else's responses:

Aside from Jack Black, what other comedians or actors do you think are hilarious?

longtimelurker: Really like Dave Gorman.

Mean anything to anybody?? No? Thought not.

He's a stand-up comedian who sets himself stupid tasks and makes TV-shows out of them. The ones that he has done so far have been:

The Dave Gorman Experience - where he has to travel the world to try and find 54 other people named Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman's Important Astrology Experiment - Does astrology make you a happier person? He had to follow to the letter his horoscope in about 10 different publications. He was ranked on Love, Money and Happiness against a control (his brother) by the audience.

Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure - Haven't seen this, it just premiered at the Melbourne Comedy festival before coming to Edinburgh, but it sold out before I could get tickets  :mad:. Something to do with Googlewhacking, though - two words which, when entered into Google, only produce a single result.

They sound a bit strange, but it's all in the presentation - he is hilarious! He also seems a really nice guy as well - even if he does have a strange taste in sideburns!

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, I tend to think that Robin Williams probably is ranking up there. For those of us who remember him in MORK & MINDY to his zany stand up and classic performances in GOOD MORNING VIETNAM, he's a high octane comedic genius, with no visible signs of slowing down.

(God gave man both a penis and a brain. Pity he didn't give enough blood to supply both at the same time!) :D

7x6andchg: Oh, God, Monstro - Eddie Izzard!   :D   :D   :D   :D

Dressed to Kill is one of the funniest stand up routines I have seen in a long time.

"I have developed a manoeuver".....

I do like Jack Black - and he was good even in a serious role such as in Shallow Hal.  Saving Silverman was good, too, and High Fidelity.

John Cleese in Fawlty Towers is the utmost, IMHO, in British comedy.

And Madeline Kahn...oh, man...Empress Nympho in Mel Brooks' History of the World.  As for Mel Brooks, what about Harvey Korman, or Gene Wilder (a Milwaukee product, thank you very much)...

What about the British shows "Are you Being Served" and "Keeping up Appearances"......"Mr. Humphries, are you free?" "I'm free"

And of course, Airplane!..who can resist early 80's slapstick?
"Surely you can't be serious"
"I am serious, and don't call me Shirley"

:D   :D   :D

7x6&C

awellhungboi: Yeah, Paul, Eddie Izzard is brilliant. He just did a U.S. tour--wonder if he'll be having a new HBO show soon?

And also I too think John Cleese's and Connie Booth's Fawlty Towers is the ne plus ultra of tv comedy. I've seen those shows a million times and they still amaze me.

I've got to say I've got a soft spot for the old-timers too. Groucho Marx and the Marx Brothers really crack me up. And silent film comedian Harold Lloyd's movies are really really great. (And, evidently both Groucho and Harold Lloyd would have been--ahem--eligible for this forum.)

Yowsers: Janeane Garafalo may not be the funniest comedien, but she is my favorite. Seen her live twice!!!

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Eddie Izzard is my favorite Yemini-born, British transvestite.

His delivery ("dewiverwy"?) is such that a remark like "Every World Series has been won by an American baseball team," has me laughing until my face aches.

And I totally agree with him: "You piss me off, Salmon...you are too expensive in westerwants."

Pecker

(You know you're really ugly when a dog humps your leg with its eyes closed.)

mindseye: [quote author=longtimelurker link=board=99;num=1065252182;start=0#7 date=10/06/03 at 11:51:21]Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure - Haven't seen this, it just premiered at the Melbourne Comedy festival before coming to Edinburgh, but it sold out before I could get tickets :mad:. Something to do with Googlewhacking, though - two words which, when entered into Google, only produce a single result.[/quote]

Man, I can't believe I missed this reference when you first posted it!

I'm a recovering googlewhack addict. The goal of googlewhacking (which longtimelurker explained above) is to find a pair of words that produce exactly one hit in Google. (Finding pairs of words that are so unrelated they don't produce any hits is relatively easy. Finding pairs of words that are still amazingly unrelated -- and yet, someone's included both of them on a webpage -- is a little harder. Give it a try sometime!)

Here are some of the more entertaining googlewhacks I've found:

• leontief tiara ("Heeere he comes, Miss Nobel Prize Economist!")
  • eruditely pterodactyl ("Rrrrrargh!, if I do say so myself!")
  • snifter synesthaesia ("What's in this brandy?")
  • triskaidekaphobic shoreline ("I have how many colonies?!")
  • lexicographic peristalsis (What happens when you're forced to eat your words.)
  • rococo curettage (Abortion with style!)
  • pelican varicocele ("Man, that must be tiny!")
  • ninetieth frenulum (What the experienced body piercer just completed)
  • eigenvector philately ("...and from the Boring Stamps of the World collection...")
  • moronic triquetra (Charmed. Ahem.)
  • boysenberry eschewal ("No way, I'll stick with maple!")
  • pimiento adulation ("Great peppers, dude!")
  • okapis sparkled (Love them okapi drag queens!)
  • interlocutory warthogs ("Morning, Dave." "Morning, Fred.")
  • frottage rectory (Every good cathedral has one!)
  • overhung toreadors (no comment!)
  • priggish flubber ("I'm appooled!")
  • phenolphthalein hijack ("Turn this plane around, or I'll make your acids pink!")
  • asymptotically pumpernickel (What rye looks like after six weeks.)
  • superannuated papayas (And you thought Grandma's were wrinkled!)
  • cobaltic tasting (What's in the soup, Mom?)
  • unemphatic holler ("Sooey. Here, pig. Whatever.")
  • trochaic delicatessen (In other words, a "deli".)
  • overcorrected jalapenos (Now they're too hot!)
  • jazzish diagnosis ("You got SARS, and that ain't cool, daddy-o!")

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
OMG! Got it on my third try!

bellyache pictureframe

...full instructions on how to play Paper Mario!

I really need to get a life.