One Good Thing I Did Today

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Even though I drive a hybrid, I waited until I could consolidate some trips before heading out this afternoon.

I got pissed off when I heard that Jennifer Aniston brushes her teeth in the shower to save water. Big deal. It probably wastes more water than just turning the faucet off while brushing the teeth and using a glass of water to rinse your mouth.

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I coast with the engine off whenever possible, about 3 miles a day or 90 miles a month just on the way to work and back, you can do that with a stick shift and non-locking steering wheel. I also anticipate stoplights trying to keep some momentum so that I don't have to start from a dead stop.

Male Bonding etc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
It's still early but one good thing is that I sent an e-mail to a friend.Starting this thread, I did figure the jaded might feel compelled to treat it with contempt or as frivolous. Nonetheless, it is beneficial once in a while to refocus away from what is fucked or what we feel guilty about and celebrate small victories and positive efforts.On the day I started this thread, I also worked out, (gave myself an orgasm - later, not during the workout), dropped off a bag of clothes I don't need at Goodwill, checked on something for my mother, and called a widowed friend of my hers. However, instead of turning this into an attempt to list the MOST stuff, I thought it would be helpful to simply remember ONE thing, perhaps something rather mundane or not all that consequential, to adjust the focus away from negativity.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I love driving too much to save trips, even if you drive two big burners.

Really, I think environmentalism is taking bizarre ways meanwhile, when celebs boast with every small thing they do to save water, save gas, save whatever. Instead of showing off whatever small mileage your car has, proper and economic ways of driving should be propagated, because the fuel efficiency advertised and declared in the specs is a minimum that still depends on the driving style. It would really be interesting to balance the amount of fuel you save by accumulating trips against the amount of fuel you burn through an unefficient driving style.

Male Bonding etc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Well, the idea is to start with SOMEthing, even if it is small. Once you realize that it wasn't THAT difficult to do, you can move on to other things, but this self defeating attitude of it-doesn't-make-that-much-of-a-difference-anyway kind of sucks.

Take Jesus for example. The hyper religious often want us to believe he was MORE the son-of-God than the rest of us; so, of course, we can't really expect to be as enlightened or as selfless as he was because we aren't as godly. If, on the other hand, one believes Jesus was pointing out things we ALL can do, it is a little more burdensome to think it might be incumbent upon all of us to actually DO our best. Still, it can be accomplished if one is patient and willing to celebrate small steps.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
One good thing I did today was something I do every week, I take the old lady two doors down a nice cooked dinner, she doesn't have relatives who visit on a regular basis and it's no skin off my nose.

I didn't do this today but I do give blood, everyone in the UK should do this if they're physicially able. No excuses.

I edited this to add that I also joined freecycle, anything I'm getting rid of I put on there, I gave my old suite to a single mother, at the moment I'm waiting for someone to come and pick up my old dining room suite, I've given books and dvd's and other stuff away on there, I could have made a few quid putting them on Ebay but I prefer to think they're helping someone who might not be able to afford the things they need.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I did my part at my home.

spiral flourescent bulbs in all the fixtures that could accept them.
So far,it's a big savings at the end of the month. I was suprised.

The other thing I'm doing this week, is caulking the floor joist sills to prep for the upcoming winter months.
I also burn wood in my fireplace to cut down on Natural Gas usage, and use the furnace blower to circulate the warm air throuought the house.

Good Positive Thread. we need more of these.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Whenever possible, I accelerate slowly after traffic stops rather than rapidly. This saves gas as well as wear-and-tear on the engine. My Nissan pickup has 320,000+ miles on it and still going strong.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I ate lunch with my workers today instead of driving 10 kilometers and paying for restuarant food. I like to do it because it is a small way to keep us connected.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
To frizzle:

:mad::mad::mad:
I'm not fat!!
I'm not lazy!!
I'm not an asshole!!

My car is a 4x4 (4.2l Audi quattro 6-speed engine), and I don't think I have to accept such generalizing accusations.

To Male Bonding:

I'm not derogating your idea of starting somewhere, but I did notice that environmentalism, especially regarding transportation, has become not only socially acceptable, but also fashionable. However, in a general way, I see a great deal of funny excesses. Don't let that bother you, just keep going, and let me do my driving :wink:

What pisses me off are 4x4 drivers. No need for those gas guzzlers, just arrogant pricks who drive them. I walk everywhere I need to go, or get public transport.

Lazy fat arseholes piss me off.

Male Bonding etc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I met with someone who basically just needed to know he was important enough for me to take time to see him. Short term consequence for me: lost a little time on a busy day. Long term consequence for me: maintaining a convivial relationship with a friend and ally. Consequences for him: hard to say, but it may help his equilibrium as far as where he thinks he fits in the world.

[Claire, something can still be worthwhile and fashionable. The trick is getting people to see its worth whether it is fashionable or not.]