Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Maybe not so much a condom question as a math question.

I looked through the condom sticky (ewwww) but I didn't see an answer to this question that made sense.

After having 3 condoms break in the last year or so, and getting some advice on the board I've decided that perhaps the issue is my girth (5.5 inches). It never occurred to me until I joined this site that that was any more than average. So I was looking at the statistics on the condoms I've been using and they seem to have a width of ~52mm, which is 2.04 inches. But if my math is right, if the diameter is 2.04 inches, the circumference is 6.3 inches, which should be more than enough no?

I don't like the idea of being one of those guys who buys magnums just to stroke his own ego, so it would seem to me that a 6.5 X 5.5 penis should be fine in a normal condom. Is my math wrong somewhere? Or is there something about condom measurements that I'm just not understanding?

herkulez

Just Browsing
Media
circumference = pi * diameter. So, since pi is equal to 3.14....I would have to say you are right about the circumference of the condom.

size_is_relative

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
circumference = pi * diameter. So, since pi is equal to 3.14....I would have to say you are right about the circumference of the condom.

So then I'm right that the only way I should need a magnum is if I were a full inch thicker no? Than why do normal condoms feel so tight? I have a very hard time rolling them down, and often have to "pull them down" instead of rolling.

size_is_relative

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No no no, I'm not saying I don't want to buy magnums because of how it'll look at all, I'm just saying, I've always found in pretentious...

That said, I'm pretty confident in my application procedure. The first two times were ~a year ago, and after that, I spent a lot of time researching technique...(I'm a little manic like that).

I've gone through a lot of different brands, generally lifestyle, trojan or durex. But from checking condom depot, they all seemed to have ~ the same width.

I guess you've all answered my question. It just seemed odd to me I hear so many ~5.25ish-6.25ish guys talking about wearing magnums when my math says even they shouldn't need them...but apparently I was looking at it wrong.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Maybe not so much a condom question as a math question.

I looked through the condom sticky (ewwww) but I didn't see an answer to this question that made sense.

After having 3 condoms break in the last year or so, and getting some advice on the board I've decided that perhaps the issue is my girth (5.5 inches). It never occurred to me until I joined this site that that was any more than average. So I was looking at the statistics on the condoms I've been using and they seem to have a width of ~52mm, which is 2.04 inches. But if my math is right, if the diameter is 2.04 inches, the circumference is 6.3 inches, which should be more than enough no?

I don't like the idea of being one of those guys who buys magnums just to stroke his own ego, so it would seem to me that a 6.5 X 5.5 penis should be fine in a normal condom. Is my math wrong somewhere? Or is there something about condom measurements that I'm just not understanding?

Your premise is flawed. The width you are referring to is if the condom is laid out FLAT. You can't use that dimension to determine it's circumference. I just measured a Trojan Magnum XL fresh out of the wrapper. Rolled down and measuring inside the ring, it is 34 mm or 1.35 inches in diameter. Laid on the table flat, it measures 55 mm or 2.36 inches across.

1.37 x pi = 4.30" circumference.

What kind of condom are you using? If it's too tight, then absolutely get a bigger one.

size_is_relative

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oooooh, I think I get what you're saying Vince.

Do you mean that if you were to put a condom around a cylinder that was exactly the came circumference as the condom, the diameter is 1.37 inches, but if you press it flat (making it an oval, not a circle) then it's the to 2.36 inches as described in the advertising?

Am I the only one to whom that doesn't seem clear by the way condoms are described online and what not? I've been driving myself nuts trying to research an appropriately sized condom...

So that said, does anyone know the actual diameter of various condoms. Yes yes I know I could go down to the local CvS and buy one of each...but that seems like kind of a waist.

Ranxerox

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Don't forget when you say that a condom has width of ~52mm, or 2.04 inches, you are talking about a FLAT measurement of the width. So essentially you are overemphasizing the true diameter measurement as it is not a tube when you are doing the initial measurement. So therefore you should DOUBLE the FLAT measurement to get a true unstretched CIRCUMFERENCE. No messing about with Pi needed. So the unstretched circumference of the condom is 4.08 inches around your 5.5 inch cock... a snug fit i am sure.

Ranx.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Don't forget when you say that a condom has width of ~52mm, or 2.04 inches, you are talking about a FLAT measurement of the width. So essentially you are overemphasizing the true diameter measurement as it is not a tube when you are doing the initial measurement. So therefore you should DOUBLE the FLAT measurement to get a true unstretched CIRCUMFERENCE. No messing about with Pi needed. So the unstretched circumference of the condom is 4.08 inches around your 5.5 inch cock... a snug fit i am sure.

Yes, you are correct. Just double the flat measurement to get the circumference.

size_is_relative

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Ranx.

Thank you and Vince so much. I've spent the last week (give/take) trying to rationalize different sized condoms and was getting nowhere.

And yes, snug fit indeed.

Last edited:

xrj789

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
you know, i always wondered about this too, especially since i found regulars too tight (I'm between 5.25 and 5.5, but almost 6 around the head). Just thought I was doing my math wrong.

B_doc23cm

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If the condom width measurement was the diameter, they would be too big for just about everybody!

size_is_relative

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If the condom width measurement was the diameter, they would be too big for just about everybody!

In retrospect, yeah it seems obvious. But for the last week I've been looking into it, it never occurred to me that they would measure the condom in a way you couldn't measure your penis.

hungtoomuch

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Dude, why would you think buying a box of magnums is pretentious? If that's what you need, it seems simple. That's like saying if you have a big hand and you should wear a size large glove, but I'll buy a small one because I don't want to be pretentious. Don't be silly dude....and wait until you see the looks you get from the clerk when you go to the register to pay :wink: Remember, you always dance with the one who brung ya!

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
The answer is but one or two and try them on. How do they feel? Maybe start by just jerking off with one to see if it stays on or slips.

Also, if they are breaking during sex it is most likely lack of lubrication. If they break when you put them on, then they may be too small, or you need to go slower.

Cuban

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
or 2.36+2.36=4.72" around... roughly 4.7" can stretch up to 6.5" around.. then again 4.7" will fill a bit lose on a 5" around penis. ":)

Magnum10x2

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I cant remember the last time I had one break. ?????

Suggest
a) Dont bother with a condom
b) Use a Magnum
c) When you change from one position to another; rip off the old and put on a new one
d) Astroglide

Cuban

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I cant remember the last time I had one break. ?????

Suggest
a) Dont bother with a condom
b) Use a Magnum
c) When you change from one position to another; rip off the old and put on a new one
d) Astroglide

ommit answer c, think about $.50 each magnum!