One Man's Picasso Is Another Man's FRoll of Toilet Paper...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by HellsKitchenmanNYC, Jul 24, 2009.

1. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hmmmm....how do you evaluate art? And more importantly how do you evaluate a newer artist's work? What's it worth? Is it good? It's genius to customer A and perhaps the painting behind the sofa to customer B.
    Wondering if there's a real way to tell. I have a piece of art a russian artist did of a friend in 1990 when he was unknown. His website seems to be getting bigger tho for a kind of art unlike this abstract rendering.
    Do you really have to go to Christies or Sotheby's or Antique Roadshow to get a full evaluation of a piece of art's worth? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
    I'm gonna have a coffee (and NO lobster) and ponder this some more and see if anyone is much more studied in this!

2. Principessa

Gold Member

No, you do not. Quite often the curator at small, local museums is willing to assess and appraise art works brought in by the public.

3. Jason

Gold Member

Most paintings are worth a whole lot less than you might think, so don't get your hopes up. Very few artists truly make the big time. Your artist's website will show his headline prices for new (and perhaps commissioned) paintings. Something from a few years back isn't old enough to have an age premium, certainly not if the artist is still alive.

Sounds like you need a professional view - a museum is possible as suggested, or just about any auction house will have someone who can give a (free) auction estimate for a painting.

#3 Jason, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  4. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thank you. thank you. i know I can always count on you folks for good answers!

5. D_Adoniah Sheervolume

D_Adoniah Sheervolume Account Disabled

Oh, I took a more philosophical view of the question (as seems to be my wont today, evidenced by my other posts).

Was going to say: if you didn't purchase the piece as an *investment,* and instead because it spoke to you in some way, it's worth precisely what you paid for it! :)

6. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Here's the piece in question. Done by a Russian artist @ 15-20 yrs ago.

Attached Files:

7. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Russian? Fifteen to 20 years ago?
    It's worth about 17 dollars, Hells.

Draft saved Draft deleted