One of the oldest liberal newspapers about to fold

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
New York Times.... the blatantly left as left gets has been losing readership that's right of center steadily, and internet content growing.

down to $34M left in the bank with a $1.3B debt.

$1.3B DEBT RATTLE - New York Post

Ah-ha-ha-ha-ha, good thing is it'll take the Boston Globe down with it. Good riddance.

Now Senator Kerry is requesting "hearings"... lawdy, hearings to look into propping these dinosaurs.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ah-ha-ha-ha-ha, good thing is it'll take the Boston Globe down with it. Good riddance.

Imo, that is an incredibly asinine statement.
When I think of the United States, I think the press, free press, in all its forms, and open inquiry to be one of the best qualities of our nation. Loss of the NYT would be a tragedy.

Last edited:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
New York Times.... the blatantly left as left gets has been losing readership that's right of center steadily, and internet content growing.

Slap!!!!!
It has far more to do with declining advertising revenue. Read the article, fk.

They're both excellent papers of their kind.
You don't have to like either, but why would you want variation in the species to be reduced by culling two superb outlets?
The decline of newspapers is a bad thing in many ways. The level of journalism will fall. Internet sources will not tackle stories with the same budget and similar rigor.
We will feel the disappearance of great newspapers, no matter what their political stripe.
This is not something to celebrate.

D_CountdeGrandePinja

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Freedom of the press = the ability to read the press. So many of our young people are incapable of the quality of the NYT - they plug into for info - read, read, read!

To see the inept younger generation just check out Millionaire and see the lack of knowledge of those under 30! Someone last week did not know Mexico was a foreign country!

Sorry for ranting!

D_Tully Tunnelrat

Experimental Member
Media

Of course everything reported by The Post, that bastion of truth seeking unfettered journalistic brilliance is unbiased, well researched, and true. Twenty years ago the Post was a good paper. It is now worse than the NY Daily News. News Corp. has literally run it into the ground, and just to show liberalism has nothing to do with the overall decline in the newspaper industry, News Corp. just lost $6.4B, and that's including revenues from MySpace, and Fox.

News Corp Loses $6.4 Billion MySpace Revenue Flat

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The business model needs to change urgently.

I read parts of many daily newspapers from around the world online virtually for free, (I am contributing merely as one of the many sets of "eyeballs" counted on their pages), so it must be that their advertising model is not sustaining them. They have been really unsure how to make money from the internet editions, it seems. Most of the world's newspapers are presented for free and available in hourly updated editions 24 hours a day.

I rarely buy a physical "paper" unless I am commuting. I am part of the diminishing "grey" demographic who pay attention to the news media on a regular basis, yet I don't shell out anything for a subscription.

I am sorry to see it go if this is happening.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The media has turned into a liberal sounding platform. People are tired of the rhetoric and foolishness.

That's why it [media] is going out of business.

Buh-bye.

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
facie and star act like it's only liberal print media that is in trouble..........with cable news and computers it was probably bound to happen.. All those liberal news shows and liberal blogs are drying up too, of wait they're doing just fine..

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Star lives in his own world and Face probably has been wiping his ass with the New York Times for years. The NYT led by Judith Miller was instrumental in driving the "weapons of mass destruction" argument among it's readers and beyond. Personally, they need to pay for that mess so Karmawise... they're fucked and payback is a bitch.

Newspapers need to be run as non-profit businesses. It is the only way to save our free press. Most of the actual "reporting" is still done by journalists who are on the payrolls of the larger newspapers. The America of the future will not be able to sustain itself on advertising revenue alone... it was an absolutely stupid and unsustainable idea and leaves the newsmakers completely at the whim of it's advertising overlords.

Not for Profit is the future of mankind.

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Facequeen gets his news from the walls of public bathrooms. That's why he's actually cheering the collapse of the NYT.

QFT V.B. :wink: Facequeen! hahaha!
Now that was funny!
Great post as always from you Tripod!
Who knew you were such an amazing artiste!
C.B.:saevil:

Last edited:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
An even bigger problem for ALL USA and Canadian newspapers isn't their debt burden or drop off in advertisers. The largest news print paper mill company (which is actually a bunch of paper mill companies in both the USA and Canada) will be closing down its plants this year. The cost of newsprint-grade paper is going to skyrocket throughout Canada and the USA. Don't know if this has made the news in any papers in the USA. But the "mother ship" that owns those paper mills is in Europe and they are refusing to invest any more money in the North American paper mills. They also are not going to sell them. They'd like to sell them, but there are no buyers.

There needs to be a major paradigm shift in delivering quality print journalism, especially because the technology exists to deliver well-balanced news without printers ink and paper. I receive all of the magazines to which I still subscribe using Zinio. I get a link in a monthly e-mail notice and download a digital version of the magazine that displays and flips pages exactly as if I had the printed copy, but with the added advantage that a simple keypad touch zooms in just enough that I don't need to use reading glasses to adjust for mild astigmatism.

I seriously doubt, however, The New York Times will go under any time soon. However, if it did fold I wouldn't miss it as much as the International World Tribune (owned by the New York Times). But the only daily newspapers I buy are Clarín, Diario, Le Monde, and the Los Angeles Times -- depending where I happen to be in the world. The Reno Gazette and Las Vegas Sun are purchased by subscribers primarily for the classifieds. The Deseret News, despite being propped up by the mormon church at any cost, is always out sold by The Salt Lake Tribune which turns a profit on its own.

But the New York Post? I've never understood why New Yawkers pour over what is, in my opinion, the Regis Philbin of print journalism. As I've written many times in various posts, journalism majors are taught (among many other things) how to cast their writing so it's accessible by a reading audience with an 8th grade education. This is even easier for them to do in this "electronic age" by running their copy through a software that rates it with the Gunning FOG index and picks out sentences that require too much of an attention span to read and suggests alternate synonyms for seven-dollar words that an 8th grader might trip over. It's the editor's decision to "pump up" or "dumb down" accordingly. But the New York Post is written for those whose reading skills quit developing after the 6th grade (I'm not joking). The same FOG index is applied to USA Today, yet another 6th grade-level paper which is only good for lining the bottom of bird cages.

God forbid that the US newspaper reading public be required to sound out big words.

Last edited:

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
The media has turned into a liberal sounding platform. People are tired of the rhetoric and foolishness.

That's why it [media] is going out of business.

Buh-bye.

I cannot believe the foolish things that come out of your mouth sometimes.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
But the New York Post? I've never understood why New Yawkers pour over what is, in my opinion, the Regis Philbin of print journalism. As I've written many times in various posts, journalism majors are taught (among many other things) how to cast their writing so it's accessible by a reading audience with an 8th grade education. This is even easier for them to do in this "electronic age" by running their copy through a software that rates it with the Gunning FOG index and picks out sentences that require too much of an attention span to read and suggests alternate synonyms for seven-dollar words that an 8th grader might trip over. It's the editor's decision to "pump up" or "dumb down" accordingly. But the New York Post is written for those whose reading skills quit developing after the 6th grade (I'm not joking). The same FOG index is applied to USA Today, yet another 6th grade-level paper which is only good for lining the bottom of bird cages.

God forbid that the US newspaper reading public be required to sound out big words.

Fooking tell it like it is brother! Very informative...

QFT V.B. :wink: Facequeen! hahaha!
Now that was funny!
Great post as always from you Tripod!
Who knew you were such an amazing artiste!
C.B.:saevil:

Thank you very much gorgeous! And your check is in the mail... lol!

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
As an aside:

The pulp and paper manufacturing industry as a whole is disappearing in North America. An industry expert predicted several years ago to my brother (who was in the sector) that it would be severely diminished if not completely gone within a 15 year span in NA. Canada has already seen a multitude of mills close.

China and Brazil are growing rapidly in this manufacturing field. Their labour is cheaper, quality is lower but improving, the environmental controls much, much laxer. Somehow they can manage to produce cheaply enough to compensate for the absolutely massive shipping costs associated with marketing paper worldwide.

Globalism marches on.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
They keep giving me USA Today, I used to look at the sports pages so I would know wtf my NA friends were talking about, now I just put it straight in the bin.

Perhaps there needs to be some globalisation of the great brands across the world, with local supplements, otherwise the peddlars of bread and circuses will carry all before.

To celebrate the demise of the free press is really one of the most remarkably stupid things that I have ever seen. :confused: But hey, the ends justify the means.