One & Other

Rubenesque

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Has anyone been watching what is going on on the 4th plinth in Trafalgar Square, London?

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, for 24hrs a day for 100 days different people will be taking to the 4th plinth and doing whatever they feel like doing, performance art, talking, demonstrating skills etc...

It's been organised by Anthony Gormley and is utterly bizarre.

You can catch it on Sky Arts or online

One & Other

At the moment there's just a weird looking woman in a mask waving at people.

Only in Britain!

Even long running BBC radio drama The Archers have incorporated it into their daily episodes, trying to get members of their community onto the plinth lol

Rubenesque

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Guess I'm the only one sad enough to watch these numpties then! lol

There's now a lovely little old gay man reading poetry.

Last edited:

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Has anyone been watching what is going on on the 4th plinth in Trafalgar Square, London?

I watched about 3 minutes of a woman called Gill who looked like a cross between Florence Nightingale and the Grim Reaper. Needless to say, my life was enriched by the experience. :rolleyes:

Even long running BBC radio drama The Archers have incorporated it into their daily episodes, trying to get members of their community onto the plinth lol

Now they're just taking the plinth. :wink:

S

superbot

The whole thing is ridiculous piece of crap.The whole of Trafalgar Square is a mess, full of naff street performers and thousands of tourists aimlessly lolling around getting in the way,it makes Leicester Square look like Verseille.Time to have a re-think.The less said about the vacant plinth the better!!...

Rubenesque

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Perhaps you know etymology to mean something different to me, to me it's the history and derivation of words and language.

Don't mean to be a pedant, but I'm not sure what you want to know.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Perhaps you know etymology to mean something different to me, to me it's the history and derivation of words and language.
Don't mean to be a pedant, but I'm not sure what you want to know.[/QUOTE] :irked: FFS! Chuck's question made perfect sense to me. :cool: Since you are in the mood to nitpick, what the hell is a plinth and why are there 4 of them? Also what is naff?

FWIW: He wants to know why this One & Other thing is happening at all? Is it the first time? Who started it? Does it support some charity, etc.?

Rubenesque

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow - saucer of milk to njqt!

Given that I'd already said what it's all about in the first post I figured he was asking something else... I wasn't meaning to nitpick... I didn't understand what he was asking!!!

Naff = rubbish.

It's been organised as a live interactive arts event. I don't know if it's a charitable thing to be honest. Perhaps they are doing collections on site. This is the first time it's happened.

There are 4 plinths - 3 have statues on them and the 4th was meant to have an equestrian statue that for some reason never materialised, so Anthony Gormley (sculptor) came up with this as a way of creating living art.

Apologies Chuck if you feel I was being impolite, wasn't my intention.

Last edited:
Reactions: MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Rubenesque

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I agree, on the whole, and most of the people I've seen up there haven't done anything worth while.

However, flicked on to it yesterday and there was an old gay fella reading his own poetry and some of it was very good. And he was really engaging with the crowd listening to him. I think at one point he invited them all to the pub afterwards - nice move! lol

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Don't mean to be a pedant, but I'm not sure what you want to know.
Well, perhaps, I really still am interested in what this is all about.
Don't mean to be a pedant, but I'm not sure what you want to know.[/QUOTE] :irked: FFS! Chuck's question made perfect sense to me. :cool: Since you are in the mood to nitpick, what the hell is a plinth and why are there 4 of them? Also what is naff?

FWIW: He wants to know why this One & Other thing is happening at all? Is it the first time? Who started it? Does it support some charity, etc.?
Oh, it's ok there, NJQT, I guess I'm a little bit more vocaulary minded around here than others.

Given that I'd already said what it's all about in the first post I figured he was asking something else... I wasn't meaning to nitpick... I didn't understand what he was asking!!!

Naff = rubbish.

It's been organised as a live interactive arts event. I don't know if it's a charitable thing to be honest. Perhaps they are doing collections on site. This is the first time it's happened.

There are 4 plinths - 3 have statues on them and the 4th was meant to have an equestrian statue that for some reason never materialised, so Anthony Gormley (sculptor) came up with this as a way of creating living art.

:kiss::hug: Ah, I couldn't be angry witcha just 'cause of a misunderstanding and a little gruffness. I deal with it enough at work with customers, so water off of a duck's back. You still cool there, UKBBW Denise.:kiss:

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Guess I'm the only one sad enough to watch these numpties then! lol

There's now a lovely little old gay man reading poetry.
Frank Skinner was on tv last night saying he watched a man dancing about for the whole hour.He lives near there and said he's a regular visitor to the plinth.
It looks like work's a bit thin on the ground for Frank these days. :smile:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Naff = rubbish.

Didn't mean to be catty Denise. Chuck's my homeboy and we've always got each others back. :cool:

Rubenesque

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Rather bizarrely now, I've been offered a place on the plinth.

But it's between 1am-2am Wednesday 2nd September.

It would just be me and the pigeons... think I'll pass haha