One saving the Government could make

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Adrian69702006, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Adrian69702006

Gold Member

Today it was reported that NICE (the National Institute for Clinical Excellence) are considering recommending that obesity patients be given cash incentives to lose weight. This is the same body which has seen fit to deny English cancer patients treatments which, if not life saving, are certainly life enhancing and have been proven to work very effectively elsewhere. I'm sorry but I just don't get it! Although not excessively overweight, I carry a couple of stone more than I'd like and I'm trying to shed some of it. However I don't expect the NHS to pay me for doing it and I hope the day never comes when payment is offered. I would much rather see the money were spent on good quality, effective drugs for cancer patients and those with other long-term life limiting conditions. Today's proposal is proof, if proof were needed, that NICE has finally taken complete leave of it's senses. It's time the Government did us all a favour and abolished NICE. Then there might actually be more money available for the NHS.

#1 Adrian69702006, Sep 27, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  2. Jason

Gold Member

The government is looking very hard for savings. Rejecting this recommendation is surely one possible saving. But a more ambitious saving might be the abolition of NICE.

I know we need someone to do the job NICE now does. But I'm willing to bet it could be done just as well by someone else for half the cost, and with this daft recommendation NICE has created a public mood where its abolition would seem sensible.

3. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Give me the money. I'll do it.

4. dreamer20

Gold Member

IMO NICE's idea isn't loony but simply an unoriginal idea being inspired from "The Biggest Loser" TV show:

The Biggest Loser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Draft saved Draft deleted