One step closer to banning abortion?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Barbi_Queue, Mar 2, 2006.

1. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

North Dakota is attempting to push the ban through. Ugh, this is so scary.

I've made my opinion known on this before, while I'm personally against abortion (except in cases of rape, incest, harm to mother's life), I'm also against banning it. We'll see more horrors from botched illegal abortions.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/060302/2abortion.htm

2. SurferGirlCA

Gold Member

I think it was South Dakota, actually. I just wonder if the mother has to start flatlining before she qualifies for the exemption. :frown1:

"The measure, which passed the state Senate 23 to 12, makes it a felony for doctors to perform any abortion, except to save the life of a pregnant woman. The proposal still must be signed by Gov. Mike Rounds (R), who opposes abortion.

The bill was designed to challenge the Supreme Court's ruling in Roe , which in 1973 recognized a right of women to terminate pregnancies. Its sponsors want to force a reexamination of the ruling by the court, which now includes two justices appointed by President Bush.

"The momentum for a change in the national policy on abortion is going to come in the not-too-distant future," said Rep. Roger W. Hunt, a Republican who sponsored the bill. To his delight, abortion opponents succeeded in defeating all amendments designed to mitigate the ban, including exceptions in the case of rape or incest or the health of the woman. Hunt said that such "special circumstances" would have diluted the bill and its impact on the national scene."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/22/AR2006022202424.html

3. D_Barbi_Queue

You're right, and I can't read worth a shit from the own article that I linked to. I should have known anyway that those damn southerners always live a backwards life. :eek:)

4. madame_zora

Gold Member

Ha, and now I shall take a bow on behalf of conspiracy theorists everywhere, this is so not surprising. More loss of rights to come, stay tuned folks.

5. Chuck64

Gold Member

When will people wake up?

Dr. Rock would stop right here and say something like "That's all you really had to write." and I happen to agree, but I feel like bitching anyway.

If you don't believe in abortion, don't fucking get one! How many unwanted children have to be brought in to this world by a single unprepared incompetent child-parent before we realize that it ruins two lives by forcing the pregnancy to continue.

It's obvious from that quote that they're doing this for political reasons, not for the best interests of their consituents. I hope the first federal circuit court to get this tells them "been there, done that" & "shove it up your ass."

6. D_Elijah_MorganWood

D_Elijah_MorganWood New Member

The image that always sticks with me is the famous one of the woman face down on a blood soaked bed in a cheap motel room, dead. It's amazing, this is where conservatives and fundies would love to see us go again. This issue is near and dear to me, I found out later that a family memeber almost died from an illegal abortion in the 60's.

7. ceg1526

ceg1526 Member

Have you read Freakonomics? Dr. Levitt (the author) argues that when abortion was legalized in the 1970s, a whole generation of unwanted births was avoided, leading to the drop in crime two decades later in the 1990s when this generation would have come of age (and which is continuing to this day).

Take care

Ceg

8. D_Barbi_Queue

Very interesting!

9. D_Barbi_Queue

10. Shelby

Gold Member

May be true of fundies but not for this conservative atheist.

11. Freddie53

Gold Member

This is a real story. I know the people involved and was present during the drama. It is not about abortion per sa, but it illustrates our long standing allowance for people to practice their own religion even in life and death situations. I trhink it relates to abortion and will show how.

There was a young man 19 years old as I recall. He was in an car accident. He received no injuries to any major organs. He did sustain a considerable loss of blood. His parents who were next of kin believed that a blood transfussion would automatically send their son to a literal buring hell.

His parents didn't want that for their son, so they refused all efforts by other members of the family and the doctors to just allow a blood transfussoin. Had the boy recieved new blood, he would ahve been up and going in days.

The parents chose to let him die. Yet, it is as documented as it can be that the boy could have been saved.

It is called FREEDOM OF RELIGION. And it supersedeed whether the boy lives or died.

A woman shouldn't be required to have an abortion if her religious beliefs teach against it. If she dies as a result, that is her call. It is no different than the above scenerio.

And, if a woman believes that God doesn't want her to have anymore children, that is her right to teminate the pregnancy.

Unborn fetuses are not citzens of the United States. A citizen is a person born according to the U S Constitution or has been naturalized as an adult. The key word is born. Fetuses have no legal rights in our Consitution. The mothers, however, do.

This sounds cold to some. But it is what our legal ssystem says. and it shouldn't be changed.

What is driving antiabortion is the relgious belief that fetuses have a soul aand will be in heaven someday. That is a religious concept, not a legal one.

I am religious and I believe the soul enters the body of an infant when it begins to breath. A still born baby will not be in heaven.

I know some of you are not religious. But still, I think you will agree that this '"anti-abortion" agenda is a religous movement primarily, not a constitutional legal dispute. And the two should be kept separate.

If we force women to have abortions on relifgous grounds, then why not force the Jehovah's Witness to have blood transfussions to save lives. If they go to hell, too bad. The government is in the religoius busienss now.

12. Chuck64

Gold Member

Freddie - You are a very wise man.

I heard this finally got signed in to law in South Dakota. I hope it's challenged and gets up to the supreme court as soon as possible.

13. steve2727

steve2727 Member

Albums:
    Freedom of religion has to have it's limits, just like any other freedom, otherwise practicing satanists would be able to legally perform human and animal sacrafices. Religious freedom has to be limited by what the wider secular society finds acceptable - I personally find the idea of a Jehovas Witness being able to legally allow the preventable death of her son on religious grounds abhorrent, people should be free to die for religious reasons themselves, but being able to choose that fate for others (even if they are your son) is just wrong.

But back to the original point, yea, it doesn't surprise me, and with the current administration and the makeup of the supreme court I doubt it will be long before there is a serious attack on the right to abortion at the national level. Maybe now would be a good time to get shares in Canadian and European abortion clinics, they might getting very busy in the coming years.

14. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Personally, I reduce this to a simple women's-human-civil rights issue. Abortion is just the beginning. It is really about the removal of ALL our civil rights. Privacy is already gone. Free Speech, Freedom of Religion and on an on are all at stake. Say goodbye to the Constitution. And I wouldn't be counting on the Supreme Court for just and civic minded decisions.

15. Shelby

Gold Member

Don't wear yourselves out with all the hand wringing. On the slim chance it gets that far, the supreme court will nix it.

Now you can return to the Hysterical Channel.

16. RideRocket

Gold Member

Personally, I am against abortion. I believe that life begins at conception. That being said though, I do believe that it should be a matter of choice.

17. Chuck64

Gold Member

Good for you Ride. You're one of the few people in this nation who understand the difference between your personal beliefs and what is best for the country.

18. Irish

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    This is primarily how I see it, as well.

I, personally, think a woman's body is her own and she can do whatever she wants with it. But this is just how I feel, there are far more practical concerns than what I consider a person's right. The fact is: abortions will happen. If they're going to happen, they might as well happen in a safe place, performed by professionals.

19. gwr1349

gwr1349 New Member

OK, Here's my thoughts on this.

I am against abortion. My wife and I adopted our first daughter. Her mother gave up the baby because her father would have disowned her if she kept the baby. She had the GUTS to complete the pregnancy, deliver, & nursed the baby for two days while in the hospital and then signed over the baby to my wife and I.

We had tried to have kids for ten years and had 5 major surgery's before adopting our Daughter. Our daughter is now 21 years old and graduated from the University and is going into Health and Human Services working with children. None of this could have happened if her birth mother aborted her after conception. God has a plan for every child he created with out exception. My daughter is just one example. Their are millions more.

Their are people out their waiting to adopt a baby. I hope abortion is overturned by the court.

20. Chuck64

Gold Member

That's all fine and good, but just like Irish and TAG pointed out, this doesn't actually stop abortion - it just forces it underground. That doesn't do anyone any good.

Draft saved Draft deleted