Online Media Images and Copyrighted Images

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Im trying to put together a collage of gay teens that have committed suicide, but want to make sure it's legal.

I've e-mailed a few sources to ask permission to use the files...but no response.

Take this link for example... File:Matthew Shepard.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The news media organizations use these images, so how do they legally use them? Do they contact the source?

Last edited by a moderator:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I removed your image, and researched it and found that it was taken after he was 18 years old. My mistake sorry!
Please be mindful of not posting images of minors. Meanwhile I will research your question.
Is this collage going to be on display for educational purposes or will you be selling the images?

Last edited:

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I removed your image, and researched it and found that it was taken after he was 18 years old. My mistake sorry!
Please be mindful of not posting images of minors.

Huh?? What image? Are you speaking of the Wikipedia link to 21 yr old Matthew Shepard?

This is just going to go onto Facebook as a collage to honor those lives lost.

(By the way, I know its not your fault, but not being able to link to a valid article or resource just because someone is under 18 really pisses me off)

http://youtu.be/MtkK3eijBso

Last edited:

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Not for nothing, but Matthew Shepard wasn't a suicide. He was tortured and left to die.

Yes, I am well aware of it.

Im trying to create a collage of photos for the upcoming 2011 "National coming out day" - to honor those who have lost their lives due to homophobia. Be it Murder, or suicide.