Online Meet and Greet!

sammygirly: I know we've talked about meeting for real, but that's just not possible with how far away most of us are.

I've popped into the chat room a few times and, guess what? It's ALWAYS empty....and there's a few of you I'd LOVE to chat with.

So my proposal is this:

How interested would yall be to find a day and time to gather in the rather unused chatroom to introduce ourselves and chat real time?

I promise the Ladie's Auxilary will bake....

Longhornjok: I would try and stop by to chat some time, but it's Mac-unfriendly. All you Windows kids have fun, though. :(

enchantinghungman: You mean the chat on the yahoo group? Sure - advertise a date and time and I will be there.

7x6andchg: I will try - but you know my trials and tribulations re: the Java based Yahoo! chat.

Times that work for me (but perhaps not for anyone else): M-F except Thurs from 6 pm CDT to 10 pm CDT.

Outside those times, such as weekends, give a shout with a time and I will see what I can do.

7x6&C

throb919: Longhorn--The "new & improved" Yahoo chat is Macintosh-compatible. (I say "new & improved" with no knowledge of the MSN version as it wasn't Mac-able at all, as you know.) Yahoo chat seems a little "crashy" to me, but the (few) people I've found there say that's not just a Mac-thing. Would love see y'all there to say "hey" sometime...

Longhornjok: [quote author=throb919 link=board=meetgreet;num=1062810982;start=0#5 date=09/05/03 at 19:02:26]Longhorn--The "new & improved" Yahoo chat is Macintosh-compatible.[/quote]
Throb, tell Yahoo that! :-/

"Yahoo! Groups chat requires the following:

* a personal computer running Microsoft Windows 95, 98, NT, or 2000
* Microsoft Internet Explorer (version 4.0 or later) or Netscape Navigator (version 4.08 or later)

HTML chat is not currently supported."

throb919: [quote author=Longhornjok link=board=meetgreet;num=1062810982;start=0#6 date=09/05/03 at 19:06:24]
"Yahoo! Groups chat requires the following:

*      a personal computer running Microsoft Windows 95, 98, NT, or 2000
*      Microsoft Internet Explorer (version 4.0 or later) or Netscape Navigator (version 4.08 or later)

HTML chat is not currently supported."[/quote]

LHJ--I've participated in the LPSG chat at the Yahoo group and I promise you I've never had (and never will) any version of Windows or IBM/DOS/MS environment. I sashayed my Power Mac G4 ass right in there like I knew what I was doing. (Well...maybe it wasn't quite a sashay...more a saunter...or...lope...) Perhaps ignorance is bliss; I didn't know I couldn't...

7x6andchg: Well maybe I'll try this other browser I've got on here if we can get a time set up.

This...Net...scape...thingy.

7x6&C

awellhungboi: You know, it is also possible to set up a conference, or a chat room, through Yahoo Messenger. Apple compatible too. We could even voice chat that way, if anyone had mic's. Set up an LPSG conference. 7x6 suggested that idea, and I think it's a good one.

sammygirly: Oh Monstro you smart devil, that's even better.....I love my mic, voice chat rules!

Everyone got yahoo messanger?

7x6andchg: I do and IT WORKS :D

and I have a mic and speakers! ;D

7x6&C

Longhornjok: Well, I just tried to log onto the Chat area of the Yahoo group, and my own MacG4 wasn't having it. The dreaded "applet not initialized" message.

Yahoo Messenger chat I can do, however, no problem.

awellhungboi: Although I am occasionally a smart devil indeed, Sammy, the conference was actually an idea Paul mentioned one night when he and I were chatting. :)

He is the brains behind this scheme! I'm just the Yahoo Messenger messenger, if that makes any sense.

So let's set up a time and date!

7x6andchg: A few things I have noticed, and I will be a Yahoo Messenger Messenger myself:

1. You don't have to have a microphone to hear, obviously, but you still have to OK the voice chat to talk.

2. Voice works better with DSL or Cable or T1...dialup might have problems.

3. Someone will have to "start" it and invite people to it at the pre-arranged time.

Paul

sammygirly: I have no problems with being the instigator and getting the first window open to initiate conference. I'm a yahoo wizard...uh wizardress....I am NOT a witch...

So start throwing out days and times fellas....

7x6andchg: Times/days above.

If I'm outvoted in the majority, I will try to make arrangements to be here regardless...like take a nap. :D

7x6&C

Longhornjok: [quote author=7by6etC link=board=meetgreet;num=1062810982;start=0#15 date=09/05/03 at 20:36:35]A few things I have noticed, and I will be a Yahoo Messenger Messenger myself:

1.  You don't have to have a microphone to hear, obviously, but you still have to OK the voice chat to talk.

2.  Voice works better with DSL or Cable or T1...dialup might have problems.

Paul[/quote]
3. Please Note: If you use Windows 3.1 or a Macintosh, you will not be able to use Yahoo! Messenger Voice Chat.

Ok, not that I'm a conspiracy theorist or anything. I mean, I'd have to believe Microsoft wants to control the world or something and how crazy is that? I'm just happy Yahoo Messenger will allow us scrawny little Mac users to non-voice chat. Thank u, India. Thank u, Bill Gates.