Online news video?

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This is just a Mini-Gripe.

I have a strong dislike of Media Outlets, especially the larger U.S. networks such as CNN, MSNBC, FoxNews, A.P., etc. (I'm also not a fan of Local Media)

Occasionally I will pull up one of those news sites out of boredom or I am looking for something and lately I have been noticing a trend across the board. (Local to National media)

All the websites, which used to mainly text articles with the occasional picture is turning into the news edition of YouTube. All the networks seemed be concerned with is placing more videos on the site, the worst of them being MSNBC. Most networks that are going to use a video will at least write some shit-tastic article to go along with it except for MSNBC which has taken to posting only the Video and a title so you must watch the video, there is no other option expect for searching for it elseware.

I find it infuriating because I like too read most things, especially the news, I HATE video, I don't even really want pictures! It drives me up a wall when something catches my eye but its a video and thats all. What the hell is going on? Is this the media being lazy or is it America becoming so infatuated with television and videos that we can't even read an article anymore?

Are videos better? Is writing dead?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Writing isn't dead - but it is receiving a bit of an old arse-kicking at the moment.

I get my news through Google News mostly (and I have BBC News 24, EuroNews, CNN, France 24 and Sky* on the goggle-box if I want them new fangled movin pictures - look, look - I can pick and choose which governemt spin I want on my news - hurrah for freedom :rolleyes:) - I find there are enough sources for any one story linked from Google News that you can get a few different takes on the same story and most of what I end up clicking through to is text. I never bother with any of the websites of those news channels as I work from home and if I want that content I can just turn on and wait 15mins, it'll come round.

* Edit: oh and Al Jazeera (english) - a bloody good news channel - better journalism than any of Murdoch's shite

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
* Edit: oh and Al Jazeera (english) - a bloody good news channel - better journalism than any of Murdoch's shite

I love Al Jazeera (Terorists I know), in fact I have book about the startup of the network and such (very interesting by the way).

I forgot to mention a news related site I enjoy, Fark.com, I love the idiocy of majior media and the public being collected in one place for my entertainment.

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
What pisses me off about them is that almost all of them deem Paris Hilton, Brittany Spears, and Lindsay Lohan as top news. That is bull in my book.

Heres something funny: CNN put out some form of an article with this

cnn.com said:
The news media, he observed, is being overwhelmed by entertainment gossip. "[I told 'Nightline,'] 'You guys are just covering -- what do they call it -- the scream of the peacock, and you're missing the whole fox hunt.' Like waterboarding [or] where all the money went that we poured into Iraq. It just seems to disappear.

The article continues to explain that the major media is too focused on entertainment. Basically CNN published that it sucks at reporting news and even entertainment news.

The monster that ate entertainment - CNN.com

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What pisses me off about them is that almost all of them deem Paris Hilton, Brittany Spears, and Lindsay Lohan as top news. That is bull in my book.

That bothers me as well, Osiris. I hate to admit it because it seems so hypocritical; but I hate Fox News and the Murdoch Media Mafia. However, I love the ultra-liberal Huffington Post

US Military Deaths in Iraq at 3,901

— As of Saturday, Dec. 29, 2007, at least 3,901 members of the U.S. military have died since the beginning of the Iraq war in March 2003, according to an Associated Press count. The figure includes eight military civilians. At least 3,175 died as a result of hostile action, according to the military's numbers.

The AP count is three higher than the Defense Department's tally, last updated Friday at 10 a.m. EST.

The British military has reported 174 deaths;
Italy, 33;
Ukraine, 18;
Poland, 21; Bulgaria, 13;
Spain, 11;
Denmark, seven;
El Salvador, five;
Slovakia, four;
Latvia, three;
Estonia, Netherlands, Thailand, Romania, two each; and
Australia, Hungary, Kazakhstan, South Korea, one death each.

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
"Are videos better?"

Not in my opinion and definitely not via the internet. If I wanted my news on video I'd use my TV instead.

Manbap

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Anything that takes more than one second to upload, drives on my nerves, add to that most of the video news are short clips of useless news to me. If at home, I watch TV news. If working on my computer, either I read articles, or put radio channel at the backgound, and listen to anything that attract my attension.

we better call it "the you tube fever"... I don't like it, but to admit it, it brings a smile on my face sometimes when I receive some motion pictures from home of local events or shows that I can't find anywhere eles unless I take a 15 hours flight back home!

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That bothers me as well, Osiris. I hate to admit it because it seems so hypocritical; but I hate Fox News and the Murdoch Media Mafia. However, I love the ultra-liberal Huffington Post

I am not a hypocrite. I will very readily admit my liberal bias! :biggrin1: (I like the Huffington Post, too...and hate Fox News).