Only Americans are American.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Canadians are not. They are North American. People in South America are not Americans.

We are The United States of America.

We can not call ourselves anything but Americans. We are not United Statesmen, nor United Statians.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Mexico, Canada and the US are considered North America. We are the United States of America, but the word "American" has gotten bastardized by us to mean "someone from the US". When I'm abroad and asked what I am, I say that I am from the US, I never say that I'm an American.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The point is that only Americans call themselves that. Other people form "the Americas" do not.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Mem you're missing the point, Canada is in North America so if Canadians want to call themselves Americans they can do, I live in England, I sometimes call myself a Brit because England is in Britain.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
So you want someone from South America to say they're 'South American' and not 'American'?

I don't see what the problem is :confused:. Unless you're a 'patriot' mem.

Have you met people from South America? They call themselves Brazilian, Colombian, Peruvian....etc.

Sometimes they say they are form South America or Central America and then tell you the country, but they never say they are American.

vergax

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The point is that only Americans call themselves that. Other people form "the Americas" do not.

Not so true. To give you an example, in Spain, when referring to the continent, it is said America, then you specify which country specifically.

But in a historically mistaken way, yes. The people of the USA monopolized the "american" adjective. Because of the name of the country, it is almost correct to call yourselves "american". But geographically and historically, it makes much less sense.

Calling North America, Central America, South America and the Caribbean different continents is a mistake.

Calling them "the Americas" is not right, either.
There is just America, the whole continent named after Americo Vespucio.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Mem you're missing the point, Canada is in North America so if Canadians want to call themselves Americans they can do, I live in England, I sometimes call myself a Brit because England is in Britain.

I disagree. It must be a thing oversees to think that Canadians are American instead of North American.

Americans are North American also. There is nothing else to call us but Americans.

Canadians are North Americans.

We should be Vespuccians.

vergax

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ohh! I think I see your point, now!
Yes, there is no other way to call you but "american" because of the name of the country. True.
But as said before, it is somehow a misleading name for the country.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Calling North America, Central America, South America and the Caribbean different continents is a mistake.

Asia and Europe are more closely connected (share more land mass boundaries) than
North and South America are. So is calling Asia and Europe two different names a mistake?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
So Canada isn't in North American then mem? If it isn't then Canadians don't have the right to call themselves Americans, if it is they do.

They can call themselves American (or any word), the point is that no other country in North or South America does call themselves American.

They are "of the Americas", but not American.

Just like you say you are form the U.S. and not A USian.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Mem, have you ever traveled outside the U.S? Somehow I doubt it because this little argument you are carrying on is reflective of obnoxious U.S. citizens who are annoyed to find that not everyone on this entire planet speaks English for said U.S. citizens' convenience.
For your information, in latin America our use of term "American" to describe ourselves is considered to be rude and presumptuous. Usually, we are refered to as north american, "Norte Americano," and I consider that to be overly polite, frankly.
Dave

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Asia and Europe are more closely connected (share more land mass boundaries) than
North and South America are. So is calling Asia and Europe two different names a mistake?

Mem, your argument plays on two levels.

Firstly - on a real world (national) level someone calling themselves American would likely be assumed to come from the USA. I don't think this is really a stretch.

Secondly, and perhaps more esoteric - On a geographical/Continental level someone describing him or herself as American could hail from any one of about 35 'countries'.

I tend to draw a distinction between South America, Central America and North America, simply because they (people, customs, geography etc) are so very different. But in geological terms they are one continent.

I think it would be somewhat unusual for someone from say, Chile to call him or herself American rather than Chilean but on a continental basis they are entitled to do so. On the same grounds a citizen of Stanley is an American too. A native of New Zealand is Australian, alongside a native of Papua New Guinea.

I do agree it would be something of a misnomer and likely cause great offence in some places but it would be, technically correct. Generally people don't because they tend to describe themselves in national terms, and on that level you have a point. In terms of entitlement, much less of one.

This should be self evident. I could should I so wish, call myself English, British or European or merely Human if we want to be anally pedantic - but clearly that's more your bag, eh Mem?.

Your argument about shared land mass boundaries is entirely irrelevant, that's a matter of geography. For a start there is only one - the same number that divides North, Central (you forgot that one) and South America.

Actually, if you want to be precise you forgot to include Africa because it's also joined to both Asia and Europe to form the pseudo continent of Afro-Eurasia. In short, they are physically connected, how much closer can one get?:rolleyes:

Ethnic considerations aside, all citizens of the USA are Americans but not all Americans are citizens of the USA. In the same way that all English are European but not all Europeans are English. At a smaller scale - all English are British but not all British are English.

These descriptors cease to be interchangeable only at national level.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Mem, have you ever traveled outside the U.S? Somehow I doubt it because this little argument you are carrying on is reflective of obnoxious U.S. citizens who are annoyed to find that not everyone on this entire planet speaks English for said U.S. citizens' convenience.
For your information, in latin America our use of term "American" to describe ourselves is considered to be rude and presumptuous. Usually, we are refered to as north american, "Norte Americano," and I consider that to be overly polite, frankly.
Dave

I don't consider it overly polite for them to call themselves Norte Americanos. If it is considered rude and presumptuous for them to call themselves American, why would they. I think it is also misleading for them to do so.

By the way I am a Hispanic-American or Latino-American (whichever you choose), but if I leave the US to travel I am American first.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
The only people who call Canadians, Mexicans, Brazilians, etc., "Americans" seem to be people who aren't from any of those places. If you refer to a Canadian as "American", he or she is likely to correct you.

(Parenthetically, I occasionally notice that some people from the UK prefer to be called "British" as opposed to "European", and will make that correction.)

Bottom line is, you can't prevent people from using whatever terms they choose. If I want to call someone from Turkey "European", there's not much anyone can do to stop me. Ditto for people from outside the western hemisphere calling people from Mexico, "American". If that makes sense to them, that's their business.