Only Americans are American.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The only people who call Canadians, Mexicans, Brazilians, etc., "Americans" seem to be people who aren't from any of those places. If you refer to a Canadian as "American", he or she is likely to correct you.

Very True.

Maybe when these people meet people who live in America but are originally from South American countries they get confused.

You can be Mexican-American, Brazilian-American, Canadian-American but not American-American.

I view the word American as a nationality, but others don't.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I like the name Knockernail came up with over in the other thread (I love being american becuz.....). He called people from the United States "USers". :biggrin1:

Speaking of the other thread... why do some members take assinine discussions from one thread and start whole new threads about them? It's not very original and kind of a waste of space.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I also never understood what the confusion was. It's not a matter of being arrogant or snooty. If there was one "America"... then all the people living there would be "Americans." But the only time "America" is used to refer to a place is when used to refer to the United States of America. "The Americas" is often used to describe the two distinct continents of North and South America, so you do hear "North Americans" and "South Americans" often enough. The designations "Latin American" and "Central American" also are more useful than just "American." Getting upset about this is like getting upset about the use of the term "XMas." Anybody who understands where the terms come from know that there is nothing to get upset about.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I like the name Knockernail came up with over in the other thread (I love being american becuz.....). He called people from the United States "USers". :biggrin1:

Speaking of the other thread... why do some members take assinine discussions from one thread and start whole new threads about them? It's not very original and kind of a waste of space.

This whole place is a space waiting to be wasted. No one is splitting the atom here. We are just "shooting the shit".

This thread is about the word "American" not about why you are proud to be one or why the world is against it.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I also never understood what the confusion was. It's not a matter of being arrogant or snooty. If there was one "America"... then all the people living there would be "Americans." But the only time "America" is used to refer to a place is when used to refer to the United States of America. "The Americas" is often used to describe the two distinct continents of North and South America, so you do hear "North Americans" and "South Americans" often enough. The designations "Latin American" and "Central American" also are more useful than just "American." Getting upset about this is like getting upset about the use of the term "XMas." Anybody who understands where the terms come from know that there is nothing to get upset about.

I agree.

Some people appear to thrive on creating or exploiting any potential source of contention, however trivial or contrived. Usually they're the first to get all pouty when they get called on it.

Like the kid who cries to his mum that those nasty wasps stung him when all he did was poke their nest with a stick.:rolleyes:

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I agree.

Some people appear to thrive on creating or exploiting any potential source of contention, however trivial or contrived. Usually they're the first to get all pouty when they get called on it.

Like the kid who cries to his mum that those nasty wasps stung him when all he did was poke their nest with a stick.:rolleyes:

LOL.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I don't believe citizens of the USA choosing to call themselves "American" represents some insidious plot to subjugate the world, although I'm fairly some here would argue otherwise.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
This whole place is a space waiting to be wasted. No one is splitting the atom here. We are just "shooting the shit".

This thread is about the word "American" not about why you are proud to be one or why the world is against it.

Baloney.. There are already 4 or 5 pages over there on the same stupid subject.

Penetrator

Just Browsing
Media
Asia and Europe are more closely connected (share more land mass boundaries) than
North and South America are. So is calling Asia and Europe two different names a mistake?

Why does using the term Americans or America piss off the Liberals and USA haters? I was on another site and I used to use different terms to describe the United States of America and I finally settled on America or Americans just to really piss them off. It works for some unknown reason?

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why does using the term Americans or America piss of the Liberals and USA haters?

That doesn't.

I was on another site and I used to use different terms to describe the United States of America and I finally settled on America or Americans just to really piss them off. It works for some unknown reason?

Getting warmer.:rolleyes:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I don't consider it overly polite for them to call themselves Norte Americanos. If it is considered rude and presumptuous for them to call themselves American, why would they. I think it is also misleading for them to do so.

By the way I am a Hispanic-American or Latino-American (whichever you choose), but if I leave the US to travel I am American first.

Dear mem0101:

Serious question here, because I've recently witnessed this going through US customs in San Antonio's and Atlanta's international arrivals terminals.

Have you ever been harrassed, temporarily detained or felt as if you were treated differently than non Latino travelers by US Customs agents?
Granted, it's none of my damn business.

I ask because my porteño squeeze refuses to ever travel to the USA with me again because he was detained and threatened by customs agents for two hours last October. He had all his papers in order (visa, passport, DNI, my "sponsor" document ensuring that if anything went wrong I'd pay for it) and he did absolutely nothing wrong. Just as I was about to call a local friend who is an attorney in Atlanta, they finally and very begrudgingly let my squeeze go. He stumbled out a gray door with several other Latinos who were all American citizens on their way home to Miami. We all missed our connecting flights.

Just asking. :cool:

Quite Irate

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Not everyone even subscribes to the idea that the country should use 'of America' in its official usage. It's commonly used, but it's "United States" for the most part in the Constitution. Just to add to the confusion. I agree with you, though. This is about as interesting as discussing different types of vinyl siding.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Dear mem0101:

Serious question here, because I've recently witnessed this going through US customs in San Antonio's and Atlanta's international arrivals terminals.

Have you ever been harrassed, temporarily detained or felt as if you were treated differently than non Latino travelers by US Customs agents?
Granted, it's none of my damn business.

I ask because my porteño squeeze refuses to ever travel to the USA with me again because he was detained and threatened by customs agents for two hours last October. He had all his papers in order (visa, passport, DNI, my "sponsor" document ensuring that if anything went wrong I'd pay for it) and he did absolutely nothing wrong. Just as I was about to call a local friend who is an attorney in Atlanta, they finally and very begrudgingly let my squeeze go. He stumbled out a gray door with several other Latinos who were all American citizens on their way home to Miami. We all missed our connecting flights.

Just asking. :cool:

was he acting suspicious? carrying strange bags? speaking Arabic?

with all the foreigners (Hispanic and non-Hispanic) I see here, and all the airport trips I've taken thru San Antonio International ... I've never seen that ... BTW to hear that is happening, makes me feel better, given all the lapses by airport security I've heard of