Only Americans are American.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
America is also a name given to the Western Hemisphere.

I thought the Western Hemisphere was called the Western Hemisphere. Which 15th century map are we using again? I lost track. Why don't we just call ourselves New Worlders? or perhaps "The Colonies?"

In contemporary common use, "America" has one meaning understood by just about everyone. just about.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I don't understand what the fuss is about. It seems a bit racist to me.

If someone is from Canada then I would call them Canadian (eh?). But American would also be valid since they do live in part of America.

In the UK someone from England can be English OR British. British, like American is a more general term but still valid.

An Irish person in England can be Irish, British, Anglo-Irish etc.

Why does this deserve its own thread and why are you so upset mem?

Why does it not deserve it's own thread.

I am not upset.

Like someone else said here. If you were from North or South America you would know that an American is only from the U.S.

That is all you can call us. American or "from the U.S." American can not be anything else, that is why we are American. Others are "of the Americas" or just North American or South American.

B_becominghorse

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Mem you're missing the point, Canada is in North America so if Canadians want to call themselves Americans they can do, I live in England, I sometimes call myself a Brit because England is in Britain.

I pointed out on the other thread that this can be done, but people don't do it because nobody would know. It's just arrogance, of course, that people from the U.S. call themselves 'American', but there's no changing it, except in private, I guess. Britain's case is practically speaking different, because people know the difference between 'British' and 'English' (oh well, 'Canadians' do, rather, but not 'Americans' usually, who are content with sledgehammer tactics). Most U.S. people think English and British are the same. Some know Scottish and Welsh exists, but if they haven't bothered to learn it, they don't know that these are also British.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Use of theword American in the English language differs between historical, geographical and political contexts. It derives from America, a term originally referring to all of the New World (also called the Americas), and its usage has evolved over time.
The word can be used as both a noun and an adjective. In adjectival use, it is generally understood to mean "of or relating to the United States of America"; for example, "Elvis Presley was an American singer" or "the American president gave a speech today;" in noun form, it generally means U.S. citizen or national. When used with a grammatical qualifier the adjective American can mean "of or relating to the Americas," as in Latin American or Indigenous American. Less frequently, the adjective can take this meaning without a qualifier, even when used in the United States, as in "American Spanish dialects and pronunciation differ by country," or "The ancient American civilizations of the pre-Columbian period were advanced in mathematics and astronomy." A third use of the term pertains specifically to the indigenous peoples of the Americas, for instance, "In the 15th century, many Americans died from European diseases during the Spanish conquest".

Some people generally don't understand.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Australasian, Antipodean, Oceanian... we are not all Australian.

bite bite bite

I'll nibble - if only to correct your God awful spelling.:tongue:

The countries I mentioned are on the Australian continent. I wasn't talking about nationality at that point which was abundantly clear. Though I suppose Oceania would be more technically correct with Australia really being a continent in its own right.

What are you doing up so late anyway, ocean boy?:rolleyes:

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is my final post. I should have made it my first.

I agree that only Americans are American.

People from Central America = American
" " North America = American
" " South America = American
" " South East America = American

etc.

If you don't like that mem then you have issues. But I think we already knew that :redface:

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I'll nibble - if only to correct your God awful spelling.:tongue:

The countries I mentioned are on the Australian continent. I wasn't talking about nationality at that point which was abundantly clear. Though I suppose Oceania would be more technically correct with Australia really being a continent in its own right.

What are you doing up so late anyway, ocean boy?:rolleyes:

You try typing with paws!

Anwayy as lnog as the frsit and lsat ltetres of the wrod are in the rghit pacle, you can raed atinhyg. Udrnetsnad?

And im up cos im looking for someone to rub my tummy fur. Sigh, no takers as usual.