Onsen in Japan

Dan: Just wondering if any of my fellow large cocked guys have been to an onsen in Japan? I'm planning on travelling there again this year and really want to experience the hot springs, but I'm guessing that (a) not being Asian and (b) having a large endowment will earn me some stares. Anyone care to share their experiences, good or bad?

thelastoneever2000

Just Browsing
Media
ive been to japan. it was one of the highlights of my life so far, and i hope to return in the near future. never went to an onsen though. at least i can tell you that youll have a blast, even if you dont strut around naked. and i doubt youll get much of a response. the japanese way is to keep to yourself, so if anything people will probably avoid staring, much less interacting with you about it.

Dan: Thanks for the reply!
When I visit the onsen, I certainly don't intend showing off at all and will follow all the proper etiquette, but I've heard that foreigners can feel like everyone is staring when they first show up. From what I know of the Japanese myself (been there several times before), I feel your response could be a more realistic scenario. Thanks again!

Magnes Fox

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by Dan@May 24 2005, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the reply!
When I visit the onsen, I certainly don't intend showing off at all and will follow all the proper etiquette, but I've heard that foreigners can feel like everyone is staring when they first show up. From what I know of the Japanese myself (been there several times before), I feel your response could be a more realistic scenario. Thanks again!
[post=314405]Quoted post[/post]​

When I was in Japan, I visited several onsen. I was staying with a Japanese family, and so when we went to the onsen, the father of the family showed me the proper etiquette. We had small washcloths that we held in front of our groins as we walked between different areas in the onsen. I believe the real point of the washcloth is to avoid blatantly showing off, rather than achieving total coverage or whatever.

--Magnes

HachiGoLucky

1st Like
Media
I loved the onsen. It was uncomfortable my first time, but it grew on me. Its one of my favorite thngs to do now. I got stares. But I think it had more to do with me being 6 foot 1 inch and 300 lbs and polynesian. They are not supposed to stare at each other. Some take this as an insult. But them not looking at you is them trying not to be rude. ps. Dont be shocked if your not the biggest penis there. The myth isn't true for every Japanese man.

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
They will be staring at much more than your dick...to the Japanese, foreigner's bodies are exotic and fascinating in many, many diverse ways. But people are usually too polite to stare blatantly. And simple size of the penis isn't such a big deal to many Japanese--see the second page of this article.

You MUST, however, observe the right etiquette. That is, WASH WELL FIRST, and make sure everyone sees you do it.

Enjoy!

vega

1st Like
Media
Never went to the hot springs. Would have killed to do so. Spent some days at a public pool though. chaning rooms earned me some stares.

then again I get stares every time I go to japan regardles of nudity. I am 6 foot 1 blonde hair blue eyes weighing 180lbs with very broad shoulders and a 32 inch waist.

Simply put I look like an anime character and stand out like all hell in Japan.

B_RoysToy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by CUBE@May 29 2005, 02:04 PM
Sounds like a cool experience. I'm thinking by Dan's picture in the avatar...attention may be hard to avoid...
[post=315924]Quoted post[/post]​
My thoughts exactly, CUBE. From Dan's avatar we can only imagine how his package would look all exposed and washed up for inspection.

Spork

1st Like
Media
Don't sweat it. It's considered rude to stare blatantly, and though I noticed some people looking, it was never enough to make me feel uncomfortable.

I got a lot more stares outside the onsen than in it.