Open Relationships

Hi all,
My partner and I are in the process of opening up our relationship. I've been doing a lot of thinking and reading on the topic. I'd love to know from any of you what advice you have. What's worked for you? What hasn't?
I definitely want to make sure we think and plan so that way we can be honest about what we want and what works for us and what doesn't.
Thanks!

mark4870

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
My wife and I are somewhat open, we have threesomes with other men where myself and the other man will tag team her and take turns fucking her pussy till she gets out loads and is well satisfied. These events are mainly about her pleasure although I love to watch her with another man! Separately I hook up with other men alone. This fulfils a need of mine and she's happy with that. You have to come to an agreement that works for you and stick with it!

Your partner is male, right? Just clarifying as your profile says 10% straight. You never know.

At any rate, my partner and I have opened our relationship to a degree. By that, we allow ourselves incidental sex, and some people in our lives are a free-for-all. So, incidental sex (for us) involves bumping into someone in the gym shower, or sauna, or maybe while you are traveling you find someone interesting for a night. Stuff like that. A NSA opportunity.

There are also people that we know that are playful in nature, who we talk about sexually. With them, we're open to doing a threesome, or even one-on-one. That list is fairly short, as we know there wouldn't be any clingy after effects, and the friendship would maintain itself.

Then there are the odd times we invite in a random 3rd that we can mutually enjoy.

So, not as fully open as some, but for us it works. It feels safe, and we respect our personal boundaries and rules. For us, our relationship is #1, and anything that is peripheral can't be an involved affair.

atx_9167

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Open relationships are tricky. I think it takes the right couple to make it work. Communication and setting boundaries are extremely important. If your relationship is even the slightest bit rocky I don’t recommend going into one. Open relationship will not fix your problems but only make it worse. Jealously is also a problem at times. I never saw myself as the jealous type until I went into one. In terms of sex you do open yourself up to more risk with additional partners. So make sure to get tested regularly. Not trying to be overly negative here but this has been my experience twice. Let me know if you have any questions.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Make sure your relationship is the type that can handle it. Make sure your love is strong enough to handle it. I don’t know how you do this, but I lived in an open relationship and lost him when he fell in love with another. “It just happened.” Next thing I know, I’m moving out. It hurt. Badly.

Couple of years later, he regretted it, but I had moved on with someone else. No more open relationships for me. Monogamy is it. I’m either enough, or I’m not.

I was okay with the open relationship as long as I as number one. But, the hurt I felt when it failed taught me a serious lesson. I would never take that chance again.

bravesoldier

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm in a gay relationship and was open to it because it is hot. My problem is my new bf wants every cock he sees and I don't. He acts like we have to have a three-way or more every time we are together. Bad thing is I know without doubt this guy loves me more than he or I have ever loved. I hate to say it because I love him so much, but he is a cock whore.

I know where our situation could lead and don't have a good feeling about it. Even when haven't seen each other in a while and I have only 24 hours off from work he pushes me endlessly looking for another cock; when what I want, considering the circumstances, is to be alone with him.

We're going to establish some rules, I see that. We have only been dating 8 months and he thinks we are totally in sync sexually, but we are not.

chancesare

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Reading some of these recent posts kind of break my heart. For me, I don't need rock star sex every three days. Regularly occuring sex with the person I love in a manner that is mutually satisfying is enough. Monogamy is how I am wired. Unfortunately, I think I am in a minority on that.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Jealousy boils down to fear of loss. I'm usually not capable of this emotion, because I just don't feel possessive of other people. I don't want to own anyone's sexuality either. I do prefer monogamy. I feel very safe and secure within monogamy, and have no trouble committing.

However, I did marry a man who was never sexually compatible with me. A few years in I realized I actually had a psychological and emotional need to have regular sex, and the near celibacy he turned out to be capable of was unhealthy for me. But I was in love with him, and divorce wasn't even a consideration at the time.

In my case, I had unwittingly married a gay man. My reputation for running hot within a relationship made me the perfect cover story. Can't be gay married to a pretty, feminine, shapely woman who loves to fuck. Right? I didn't yet realize he was gay. So we went ahead and opened the relationship.

He was mostly okay, occasionally jealous, but I stuck to the rules. Be discreet in public. Use safer sex practices for intercourse and anal. No partners who seem to have iffy judgement or too distant a relationship with honesty. Only partners who promise to follow those same rules with any other partners. Be home, bathed, and in our bed before he woke up. We each had veto power; if an outside partner made the other spouse uncomfortable, they had to go because our marriage was the only priority.

This worked just fine until I figured out he was gay, and we were never going to have the monogamous marriage I thought I was signing up for unless I wanted to go back to celibacy. He's still in denial that he is gay. He's still probably willing to do what he feels he has to do a few times a year. I'm not interested in that. He is still the best friend I ever had. He still wants to remain married. So, I stay. I have two discreet relationships on the side. Since we no longer share a bed, I no longer worry about being in bed before he wakes. I can tell he needs to snuggle more than I want. Honestly, I never want to snuggle with him. I just dont have any snuggly feelings for him now.

Anything to which a couple might subject their relationship should have goals that outweigh the risks. For us, I had said point blank I needed to have sex sometimes. And by sometimes, I did not mean the three or four times a year he provided. I said he had missed a perhaps critical phase of personal development by never having dated anyone but me as an adult. I had presented my hope that through sex with others we would each learn about ourselves and giving and receiving pleasure, and bring those lessons home to improve our sexual connection. I had also asked if it was fair for me to expect one man to fulfill all of my needs.

I don't believe I would ever have figured out he was gay if we had never opened the marriage up. I think I didn't want to know. Lots of stereotypical signs were there for me to see through the lense of retrospective objectivity. I think I wanted to miss those signs because I loved him so much.

I still love him just as much, but now that love is sisterly. I love him like family, not like my man. I don't guess I'll ever feel that way about anyone again. It doesn't matter if I do. I'm not leaving my husband, so I hope I never feel that intense, romantic sort of love for anyone else again. He has ruined his back providing a good life for us. I will take care of him when he is old and less mobile. He deserves that much from me. His loyalty is not ever in question, and I regret the pain I caused him for years because I said I was going to leave. He never wavered in his dedication to my safety, security, stability and happiness. He loves me very much. I don't think anyone ever loved me more except my mother, aunt, and grandmother. He just lacks the lofe experience to see that he just loves me like family too. It may not be the life I wanted, but recent observations have reminded me how good I have it. I could do much worse than spending my life beside my very best friend.

It is possible that I would have benefitted from never figuring out his secret. I was very pleased with him right up until I did. Over time he was getting better in terms of sexual performance. Perhaps given a few more years he also would have learned to respond to my overtures more often, and make his own more often too. If he's fine pretending at heterosexuality, and if he had gotten better at the ruse, in my ignorance I would have remained happy, and believed we were just growing closer with time, as is natural.

So. What's my point for the OP? You need to really know yourselves and each other. There needs to be clear goals. What exactly is the point of the opening up? What precisely do you hope to gain. What would make you feel threatened, insecure, jealous? Do you have any sense of possessiveness? Have either of you ever cheated on a partner? Can you form a consensus regarding both the goals and rules? How open are you to renegotiating the rules as you learn about yourselves, each other, and the way extramarital partners impacts you and your relationship in unanticipated ways? What, if anything, could you possibly learn about yourself or each other that would change the whole marriage? Consider things you can't even imagine are true, but if they were true, this would all be a waste of time.

Answer these questions together, and put your love first. Maybe opening up is right for you. Maybe it is best left to fantasy.

Best wishes.

Relationships as they have been discussed on this thread come with all kinds of definitions. If your relationship involves a partner that you plan to spend much of your life with, then including others as third parties (sexually or another way) should be approached with great care. Long-term relationships require a lot of work. You invest a lot in to them. It is a risky place for experimentation at the emotional level.

Introducing a third party comes with a long and unpredictable maintenance tail. It is very unlikely that both partners will equally like any third party player. Nor is it likely that the third party will treat each of the partners, as they want to be treated. It is almost a guarantee that someone is going to feel (or be) left out however a third party is involved.

Looking for a third party often sends a signal that the partnership is not working. Transferring emotions and sexual fulfillment to a third party is likely to aggravate any existing problems.

And beyond the new challenges introduced between the partners, it must also be taken into account that the third party is a unique person(s) and not just a commodity. Are they friends or just hook-ups? What happens when one friend learns that other friends are being included in a couple’s sexual play—and they are not being invited?

If the third party is a stranger, who knows what their history is (who they are and who they might know) and what they might introduce to the partner’s relationship? Life then becomes a living soap opera.

confidential36

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Make sure your able to deal with it becoming more than sex for her. Women normally need a connection. So when you open up a relationship, she will probably have fewer partners by CHOICE, but her feels for them will be stronger than your feels are for your partners.

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Excellent advice all the way around!!

@atx_9167 you sound a lot like me

@ag,dude123 The one thing that I would add, is to establish that the rules and guidelines are not set in stone, and that either one of you are free to revisit and adjust them when and if it is needed. You or he may find that something you thought was going to be ok and acceptable, turns out a bit more uncomfortable than expected. Of course, the opposite can happen also. Something you thought was going to bother you, you may find after a while isn't an issue any more.

Only you two can decide what's right for your relationship, but we are here for support.

Anyway, good luck

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My partner and I occasionally go to Steamworks baths in Toronto. It gives us a bit of variety, a bit of voyeurism and we enjoy the sexually charged atmosphere. That's where any extra sex takes place. No hook ups on the side, just at the baths. We tend to do more watching than anything else and sometimes just make out with each other in a dark space for fun. That's the extent of our openness. We always go together but for the most part stay out of each other's way. I sometimes go away for a conference. I'm allowed some fun then too but only when there is no chance of it going any further than the one night fling. If you start meeting up with someone on the side I feel that one risks developing feelings for the new person. That "new" feeling is pretty powerful. Many people have thrown away a good long term relationship or marriage. for that adrenaline rush of a new romance. Be careful.

When I've had relationships where it wasn't 1 person + 1 other person, it was generally agreed upon from the beginning. Only for one relationship was it opened after we became an established couple.

One major and relevant concern besides possible jealousy is time/energy. Make sure you have enough time so no one feels neglected. Fucking someone new is likely to be exciting, but be careful not to let your home/original partner feel slighted. That's if you're not with the new person or people together, of course.

If someone cheated and then tries to open the relationship, they can kiss my ass. I have to trust them, and infidelity means I will never trust them again. Not when I make a point of periodically checking in with anyone I'm with to discuss any desire to change current relationship parameters.

EquusAZ

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Open relationships are tricky. It can be done. I've seen it. I've had friends who have been together 20+ years and enjoy having an open relationship. You know what makes it work?

Just like anything else - honesty and communication. After that - respecting boundaries. And by THAT I do NOT mean "oh well if he doesn't want me to have cock in front of him, guess I'll do it behind his back." Its funny how quickly we can deceive ourselves into thinking we're being honest and up front but in reality we're lying and doing the wrong thing.

Just be open, honest, and respect boundaries. TALK about it constantly for fucks sake too! If something bothers one of you about it - bring it up. Don't let things fester!

ScotCock

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Me and my bf of 5 years have an open relationship. I didn’t actually want it at first but it seems most gay guys are open now of days. I think we do it well. We’ve always been of the understand that we love each other so what’s a bit of cock really. I hate seeing a relationship breakdown because somebody fancied some cock. Love is love cock is cock. Like who cares. If anything it really turns me on when he gets off with another guy which he has like 60 times+. We are gay. We like cock. Great haha. If anything I’m like you’ve not met someone else in ages. Go get some.

Infernal

Superior Member
Media
Phoenix, Arizona, United States of America
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My husband and I have an open relationship. We've been married 5 years, together for 11. It takes work to make it work. It requires a lot of open and honest conversations, not only with each other, but with ourselves. When we weren't honest with each other, it lead to some nasty arguments until we were both on the same page. We let each other know that it happened, but don't share details of what we did. I know that no matter who he's having sex with, he always sleeps by my side. He knows the same thing.

atx_9167

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Also in terms of sex. You need to come up with a set of rules. Do you want your partner to tell you about others people he’s hooking up with? Do you want details or not? Other rules to consider are never sleep with the same guy more than once etc. hope this helps. And good luck!

stustu

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
This topic has been discussed in other threads. We all have a personal story and they are all
different. The short story is I lost my first true love to an "open" relationship and it still hurts.
Currently with my second true love. Together 18 years in a totally monogamous marriage.
Sometimes the passion/sex is everyday - other times not so much. But when we come together
there is joy, love, respect, comfort, connection, passion, and knowing we belong to each other.
I wouldn't jeopardize it for the world!

MisterB

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Before I met my Hubby, I was in two open relationships. Problem was I didn't know they were open relationships. They cheated and I was gone as soon as I figured it out.

I don't know how I would have reacted at that time if either had suggested an open relationship. I've only known monogamy for 41 years.