Opinions on novel subjects

TylerDurden

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Alright, this is just a small poll to see what would be more interesting to ya'll - I'm working on some ideas for a novel-length work, after doing a lot of poetry and a few short stories. Anyway, which of these ideas would pique your interest the most?

1) An alternative history, based off the premise that Russia wins the Cold War, dominates Asia, cowers eastern Europe, and then invades the USA. Story would follow key resistance members in LA, NYC, and Miami. Somewhat similar to the movie Red Dawn, if anyone remembers it.

2) A Western, more action-genre than romance. Plot follows a man in his late 20s, pushed into uncovering the reality of his childhood and standing against a corrupt rancher for the fate of his town.

3) A Science-Fiction novel, based in 2500, that’s set during humanity’s formation of a fledgling interstellar empire. On one of the planets found, creatures like dinosaurs are discovered along with a sentient reptilian species similar to humans. War breaks out between settlers and the indigenous peoples, and that war serves as a backdrop for a marooned expedition that has to make its way back to human-held territory.

So, any ideas sound good? If you have any you’d like to suggest, feel free to post them - as a writer, feedback is one of the biggest things that keeps me going.

Chuck64

Experimental Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I like them all...

I think the western strays the farthest from its stereotype. The cowboy will have to have some emotional moments to work through his childhood.

jackM50black

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
1) The subject has been beat to death...but never say never... there's always new stuff coming out that captures the public imagination. There still might be some gold in that mine. Here's a suggestion: Have the story set in a reality where there's day to day acceptance of the Soviet Union occupying Canada or the state of Maine, and then tell a story within that reality. Curfews, state owned media, political crimes, etc...

2) The western... same comment as above. you could try to set the western in a time of change, best time?: the End of the Old West. Check out the movie "The Shootist" with John Wayne., the film gives you a srton feeling for a time period when there were a few people who actually realized they were witnessing the end of something.

3. Even though its science fiction, there's something going on here. You've got the right idea to tell a story that is set within a bigger set of changes and turmoil. This is the same concept that I describe above. One of the most exciting science fiction stories I've seen was "13 Monkeys" with Bruce Willis. I had to see it twice.

Best of luck...

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
1. Don't forget to have them pee in their radiator.

2. Our hero's run-in with the corrupt rancher who won't give anybody free access to water for their cattle reminds him of when his dad wouldn't let anybody have free access to water for their cattle.

3. This one only succeeds as slapstick comedy.

Altairion

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
My favorite is the first one as it certainly would be intriguing. I'm with Lex about the rewriting of history.

The third option definitely has a lot of potential to it as I'm sort of a sci-fi/fantasy whore as a reader. However it takes a lot more focus to create a world, contain it, and make it believable to readers with the genre.

#2: Personally I've never been that into westerns...but thats just me.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
TylerDurden said:
1) An alternative history, based off the premise that Russia wins the Cold War, dominates Asia, cowers eastern Europe, and then invades the USA.
been beaten to death already. if you believe you could do it justice, i guess there's no reason why not, but there's been so much utter crap published under this subgenre heading that it'd be hard to disassociate yourself.

Somewhat similar to the movie Red Dawn, if anyone remembers it.
yeah, i thought it blew horses for quarters

2) A Western, more action-genre than romance. Plot follows a man in his late 20s, pushed into uncovering the reality of his childhood and standing against a corrupt rancher for the fate of his town.
probably the best idea of the three. it certainly offers the best scope for character development, anyways.

3) A Science-Fiction novel, based in 2500, that’s set during humanity’s formation of a fledgling interstellar empire.
again, not exactly a new concept, and would suffer from the schlockability-by-association factor of the many previously published attempts.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
#3 will make the best hollywood blockbuster with the coolest special effects. It's always good to think ahead.

C

college22punk9

#1 prob won't sell, and I wouldn't buy it.

#2 prob won't sell as much either, as if there aren't enough westerns out there already.

#3 reminds me of the chronicles of riddick, and probably will do equally well (i.e. wont sell).