Opposing gay marriage: Is there a bigger waste of time and resources?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SilverTrain, Nov 12, 2008.

1. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    With all the very real and very biting problems the world faces, how can anyone justify spending so much time and money opposing gay marriage? I'm asking you, Mormon Church, and all the others who devoted anything to this "cause".

Please explain.

2. wishingiwaslucky

They're small minded bigots?

3. Drifterwood

Gold Member

God hates gays, God loves marriage. God created marriage, didn't you know. It would be very sinful to allow man to abuse God's creation for man and woman by allowing those awful homosexual types to defile God's will and creation.

I imagine that the logic goes something like that.

4. homelessmandril

Albums:
    well it's forbidden in the Bible, isn't it? don't quote me on that, i'm sure someone could pick out a hundred little verses to enrich the discussion, but broadly i reckon the Bible defines marriage as union between man and woman - and if you really, sincerely believe that the Bible is the authentic word of the almighty....

it doesn't make a lot of sense to me personally, but there are a lot of highly intelligent - and knowledgeable - people who subscribe to one or other faith. and yeah it does sound like a minor issue to those of us who don't care for divine judgement and whatnot, but presumably refraining from pissing off the creator is a big deal for religious persons.

so in summary, while i myself would like to see prop 8 overturned, i think we should also try to avoid labelling its advocates as idiots/evil-fucktards. even though they are.

(no, just kidding)

5. Aralisian

Aralisian New Member

I agree and so do a lot of other people just not enough yet apparently.
    YouTube - MSNBC Keith Olbermann on Prop 8, Marriage and more!

6. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    "The Bible says it should be so" argument leaves me utterly unmoved. Those who use the Bible to justify causes must move quite gingerly, no? Am I correct that there's a lot in the Bible that does NOT support the "agendas" of those who tend to use the Bible to advance their pet agendas?

I haven't spent a lot of time in Christian churches since I was a lad, but I seem to remember a quite dizzying crossfire of prescriptions and proscriptions.

7. SCsoccerMom

SCsoccerMom New Member

With all the very real and very biting problems the world faces, how can anyone justify spending so much time and money forcing gay marriage upon the vast majority of people who have clearly expressed their opposition to it?

Civil unions...no problem....if the people of the various States choose to make that option open. This seems very much like an issue that divides both the broader gay and straight communities and one in which the fringe elements of each are setting the agenda to the detriment of both.

8. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    In the short term, to keep up what they perceive as the bulwark that protects their tiny, small-minded little lives, perhaps not. But the tide of history is against them even in this country, even now.

9. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Here's my argument before the Supreme Court:

"Why does anyone care?"

10. erratic

Gold Member

There is no better way to spend our time and money than by making sure that homosexualists can't get married. We're talking about the fate of civilization here. If two men with wedding bands fuck then society will crumble. Rivers will run with blood and our children will melt back into the earth. The great hoary maw of Hell will open up right along the San Andreas fault and swallow the great Kingdoms of Man. Satan itself will rise from the depths, its great voiceless cry will shatter our eardrums, and it will try to paw both the righteous and unrighteous alike down into the nine circles of Damnation.

The Holocaust was nothing. Stalin's purges? A trifle. Executing the son of God? Pah. Truly I tell you, nothing has ever happened in the 5000-year history of humanity that is worse than two homos getting bridal registry.

11. 1BiGG1

Gold Member

Follow the leader?

“I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman” -Obama

12. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Christ, man. Get a life.

I disagree with Obama on this point. He clearly was being politically expedient (i.e., wanted the votes). It happens. Wish it didn't.

There, see. It's possible to admit that the politicians one supports aren't paragons of perfection. Newsflash: Not all Democrats are perfect. Obama's not perfect. I believe he's said this himself on many occasion, including election night.

Now, bugger off and go find some more web articles to use in your singleminded quest to rail against liberal democrats. Maybe you'll find something useful to support the idea of opposing gay marriage.

For fuck's sake.

13. homelessmandril

Albums:
    SCsoccermom makes a relevant and interesting point about civil unions. i'm starting to think someone important should undertake to explore or at least explain what 'marriage' is: a religious union foremost or just a legal one?

if it's simply a court-sanctioned statement of two people's intent to live together - and so enjoy the tax breaks and various other perks - then what opposition can the Church maintain? does God really give two shits about the size of your personal exemption? of course i'm sure they would still denounce same-sex relationships but that's a whole other story.

if, further, marriage is to confer the acceptance and blessing of Him upstairs, then it's quite reasonable for the religious lobby to say 'No, He's not cool with this.....look, it says so here in the book'. While I'm sure there are plenty of gay people who follow the teachings of Christ (that is to say, the peace-and-love New-Testament stuff), I can't see how you can be both gay and a member of an established church which condemns you as a sinner.

there needs to be a very clear delineation of what it means to be married. it should be the case that a heterosexual, atheist couple are treated precisely equally to a same-sex couple in the eyes of the law. call that civil union if you want, it sounds grander than 'marriage' anyway. but that has to be separated as firmly as possible from the whole church service and so on.

ps sorry if i've completely failed to grasp the issues, i'm not in the US. and i'm intellectually lazy.

14. 1BiGG1

Gold Member

My response was a very legitimate question. If you can find a way to not get your feelings hurt because somebody mentions his name you may see that.

What’s next, if I say his wife will set style trends I will be attacking her also? Get real and calm down so you can see the writing on the wall.

15. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    BTW....President-elect Obama was on the record as being OPPOSED to prop 8....

16. 1BiGG1

Gold Member

Because of a Constitutional issue but that doesn’t change the fact he is against gays here.

17. houtx48

Gold Member

hey big the SKY is blue..............now go off on some tirade about obama

18. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Bollocks. You injected Obama into the thread purely for the sake of riling up those you seek to rile. You had no legititmate interest as to the query posed in the thread.

You don't hurt my feelings. You are a caricature. A vessel of venom without any real intellectual curiousity. You seek only to play a game. You derive stimulation from playing the game on terms that stimulate something in you. But you make no contribution to thoughtful socio-political debate. And as such, aside from the massive waste of cyber-fiber you accomplish, you are utterly irrelevant.

19. 1BiGG1

Gold Member

I think you need to relax and stop feeling sorry for yourself.

#19 1BiGG1, Nov 12, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  20. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Dude, I haven't heard that kind of a diversion since the 9th grade.

Draft saved Draft deleted