Oprah on obama.

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Your opinion please!
I won't let her pick a book for me,what makes her think she can pick a candidate for me.
Will there be free gifts for everyone at the convention under their seats?
Like a chicken in every pot?
I guess I just don't like the woman personally!
I can hear her introduction now, IT'S BARRRRRRACCCK OBBBBBAMMMMA!

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
i can't stand her. She has too much power and she knows it. and she knows that with her power, she could get her personal choice inside the white house. if i were American, i would vote Hilary out of pure spite.

D_Claude_Crowsfoot

Account Disabled
Media
let's tone it down...oprah is just another person with an opinion. the difference is that she has the power to use the media to convey her opinion. I could care less what she thinks, whether she is right or wrong.

which brings me to obama. obama is no better than any other candidate out there. the only reason he gets so much media attention is because he is black. this is not racist, this is based on his stances on issues, and the success in campaigning thusfar. he has done nothing to seperate himself from the field. the only factor in seperating him from the crowd is his race.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oprah can get people to read a book or by a certain home product, but she cannot sway votes at this point. Oh yes, she is attracting massive crowds to these rallies, but are they going to truly support Obama or are they there to see Oprah?

I have to agree with swimmer410, she needs to tone it down a lot. I have seen the videos and Oprah is bringing it like a fire and brimstone Southern Baptist preacher. I also have to truly question Oprah's motives. Is she truly supporting Obama because she truly feels he is the most qualified or is she backing a pro-black agenda? The largest hurdle to overcome here is the black voters themselves. Most older black voters who are more knowledgable about the political game will tell you the US is not ready for a black president and will take the lesser of the two evils and vote for Hillary since she has the experience, which weighs heavily with that black demographic, and she has Bill Clinton behind her. Don't get me wrong on the black president issue. I would love to see it, but I also want to make damn sure that the first guy in there is strong and a superior leader so that he isn't the last one we see in the office.

The younger knowledgable black voter will vote for Obama mainly out of the desire for change, but also because he is younger and easier to relate to. Now that said, even among this demographic is concern as to whether Obama has the experience to really be president.

This leaves the rest of black voters who may be easily swayed by the media and others. They will primarily vote for Obama because he is black and that they feel he will make changes to better benefit them and their situations. That or they will be swayed by Oprah and if they are, what victory has she really won and what change has she affected?

I will admit, I like Obama, but in reality, Oprah pulling out her ego driven opinion to support him has dropped my views on supporting him to a degree. Don't get me wrong, I think Oprah has done a lot for a great many causes, but at the end of the day, she is just a black woman with a huge bank account, a big media voice, and a production company. I don't think the "Mighty O" neesd anything else to puff up her media goddess ego.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
let's tone it down...oprah is just another person with an opinion. the difference is that she has the power to use the media to convey her opinion. I could care less what she thinks, whether she is right or wrong.

which brings me to obama. obama is no better than any other candidate out there. the only reason he gets so much media attention is because he is black. this is not racist, this is based on his stances on issues, and the success in campaigning thusfar. he has done nothing to seperate himself from the field. the only factor in seperating him from the crowd is his race.
I'll have to disagree.......I'm voting for Barack Obama not because of his race, I agree with him on the issues, but more importantly is his ability to move and inspire through POWERFUL oration!.....after the last Dark Years, I think this country could use a little inspriation.

Oprah can get people to read a book or by a certain home product, but she cannot sway votes at this point. Oh yes, she is attracting massive crowds to these rallies, but are they going to truly support Obama or are they there to see Oprah?

I have to agree with swimmer410, she needs to tone it down a lot. I have seen the videos and Oprah is bringing it like a fire and brimstone Southern Baptist preacher. I also have to truly question Oprah's motives. Is she truly supporting Obama because she truly feels he is the most qualified or is she backing a pro-black agenda? The largest hurdle to overcome here is the black voters themselves. Most older black voters who are more knowledgable about the political game will tell you the US is not ready for a black president and will take the lesser of the two evils and vote for Hillary since she has the experience, which weighs heavily with that black demographic, and she has Bill Clinton behind her. Don't get me wrong on the black president issue. I would love to see it, but I also want to make damn sure that the first guy in there is strong and a superior leader so that he isn't the last one we see in the office.

The younger knowledgable black voter will vote for Obama mainly out of the desire for change, but also because he is younger and easier to relate to. Now that said, even among this demographic is concern as to whether Obama has the experience to really be president.

This leaves the rest of black voters who may be easily swayed by the media and others. They will primarily vote for Obama because he is black and that they feel he will make changes to better benefit them and their situations. That or they will be swayed by Oprah and if they are, what victory has she really won and what change has she affected?

I will admit, I like Obama, but in reality, Oprah pulling out her ego driven opinion to support him has dropped my views on supporting him to a degree. Don't get me wrong, I think Oprah has done a lot for a great many causes, but at the end of the day, she is just a black woman with a huge bank account, a big media voice, and a production company. I don't think the "Mighty O" neesd anything else to puff up her media goddess ego.
I think you truly underestimate many black people by saying they will be easily swayed and vote for Obama simply because he is black. The black community is not a monolith. For the record, Oprah's main demographic that watches her on tv religiously are white women with an average age of 55! Most people are surprised by this fact. I think all of those who underestimate the power of the Winfrey endorsement of Obama do so at their own peril. Oprah is not just an Ordinary Celebrity.....amongst her main demographic, she is a cultural Icon and they value her opinion on everything from what kind of soap to use to who to vote for in the presidential primaries.

Manbap

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
what made Ronald Raigen once the president of the United states, what made Arnold schwarzneger a Governor , I belive Oprah can attract crowds to support Obama to become the new president, or to support Oprah herself for the presidency one day!

B_ajaxgayguy7

Experimental Member
Media
I cant stand her either, she needs to get off her self rightous pedalstal and come clean about her and "her friend" Gayle. As far as im concerned Oprah is the biggest hyprocite there is.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think you truly underestimate many black people by saying they will be easily swayed and vote for Obama simply because he is black. The black community is not a monolith. For the record, Oprah's main demographic that watches her on tv religiously are white women with an average age of 55! Most people are surprised by this fact. I think all of those who underestimate the power of the Winfrey endorsement of Obama do so at their own peril. Oprah is not just an Ordinary Celebrity.....amongst her main demographic, she is a cultural Icon and they value her opinion on everything from what kind of soap to use to who to vote for in the presidential primaries.

I love when you make me back up and thin Industrialsize. I too am an Obama voter, but I am still not convinced that Oprah can sway the vote and even moreso when you point out that her demographic is stronger with the white female. I won't deny Oprah is a cultural icon, but this is a petrie dish. In my lifetime I cannot remember such an icon capable of swaying opinion in the way that Oprah can so part of my view may come out of that.

I will admit my view of the monolithic black community comes from years of working in the political system in Kansas City and where Freedom Inc. holds this stranglehold on what black people think and how they vote. I want black people to really step out there, get involved and not just vote, but vote knowledgably. For that matter I want all people to get out there and vote knowledgably. This is going to be a historic election. we will either see the first woman in the Oval Office, or the first black man in the Oval Office.

Thank you again for making me think. It is one of the reason's I am a fan of yours Industrialsize.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I love Oprah, and I love Barack Obama. I love them separately. I've loved Oprah since I was a little kid! I've grown up with her. I think she's amazing, wise, and intelligent. I support Barack Obama and agree with him on most things. I think he's a very different candidate from what we've had before, and I think he'd do some damn good in the White House. I believe that Oprah does in fact support Obama, after seeing him on her show over a year ago. I also believe that Oprah is probably using her power to try to get people to vote for him, but who doesn't do that? It's just like Chuck Norris and Mike Huckabee. So what? She KNOWS she has this power. She's using it as she sees fit. If I were famous and I REALLY REALLY wanted a person to be president, I'd do the same damn thing. :rolleyes: Oprah is human, get over it.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In my humble opinion, those people in the camp of," I want to vote for Obama, but won't because he can't win"....should re-consider this stance or it WILL become a self-fulfilling prophecy.. A recent poll says the following: When each of the democratic candidates were pitted against each of their republican rivals and the Question" who would you vote for in a general election?, the results were; Hillary LOSES against the three top republicans by about 5%. Surprisingly, BOTH Edwards and Obama beat their republican counterparts by about the same 5%. So who is the one who can't win?? Madame Clinton!

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In my humble opinion, those people in the camp of," I want to vote for Obama, but won't because he can't win"....should re-consider this stance or it WILL become a self-fulfilling prophecy.. A recent poll says the following: When each of the democratic candidates were pitted against each of their republican rivals and the Question" who would you vote for in a general election?, the results were; Hillary LOSES against the three top republicans by about 5%. Surprisingly, BOTH Edwards and Obama beat their republican counterparts by about the same 5%. So who is the one who can't win?? Madame Clinton!

Touche. Hillary's biggest problem is her double edged sword, husband Bill. People love him, but the "Slick Willy" thing still sticks. I am also pretty sure that a lot of people ask "Would it be Hillary or Bill truly running things?" A follish thing perhaps, but Bill and HIllary rely on each other greatly. I would also think that in this case, Clinton's "in" in the political arena is a detractor instead of a benefit.

Josephine Baker sang it best...

"Oh the times they are a changing."

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

This is my concern too. "My" candidate is one that is REALLY considered "unelectable" - Kucinich. I like Obama too though. I fear though that Clinton will be the Democratic candidate and that we will wind up with someone like Huckabee for president. :eek:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I wouldn't underestimate the Clinton's. Bill is the smartest political operator since FDR (even though he made some dumb-ass moves with Monica). Mrs Clinton does come across as a bit insincere, but I think that is more a matter of style than of substance. I saw a brilliant speech by her about two years ago on the subject of health care. The trouble was, she was to cerebral and talked over the head of her audience. I mean, I think she was difficult to follow for the average voter.

As for Oprah, I agree with gjorg. I think her intellect is overrated, I don't like her taste in books, and I wonder what her real agenda is. I saw her speech last weekend when she said she had voted for as many Republicans as she had Democrats. LOL!! Yeah sure- the way she said it I had the feeling it was a lie.

bek2335

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I happen to like Oprah, and think celebrities have as much right to be poiltical activists as any other citizen. And regardless of who Oprah is voting for, I am voting for Mr. Obama because he is the only one of the major candidates of either party who had the courage and good sense to oppose our involvement in Iraq from the beginning. I believe he is the least tainted of any of the major candidates and offers us the best possibility of reversing some of the damage that has been done not only at home but to our relationships with countries throughout the rest of the world

I too like Dennis Kucinich the best of all, but he isn't a major candidate at this point and probably won't become one.

Damian Johnson

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Oprah
Hillary Clinton
Joan Rivers
Ivana Trump
Madonna
Shirley McLaine
Liz Taylor

Any of these women would make a fab President of the United States

And ALL OF THEM WOULD BE MILES BETTER THAN GEORGE BUSH

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I can't stand Oprah. IMO, she's a narcissistic, megalomaniacal jackass. Wow, you're rich and popular enough to start your own magazine...but must you have a different picture of YOU on the cover every issue? Get the fuck over yourself already.

That said, I think it's great she's stumping for Barack. I caught her intro in Iowa on CNN this weekend, and while it was a bit evangelical, I didn't think it obnoxiously so. It was actually very appropriate for the venue. I think Obama spent a bit too much time at the beginning of his time reciprocating...but as I said, I can't stand Oprah, so that's likely just me. Again, given the likely reasons most were in attendance, it was probably a wise play on his part. Despite my personal feelings on OW, her popularity and influence are undeniable, and I'm glad to see it being used for what I view to be a good cause.

I'm presently a Ron Paul advocate, but the (tiny) voice of realism in my mind won't let me delude myself regarding his electability. However, the current polls have me worried that the idiot electorate in this country stands poised to vote itself out of the pan and into the fire. Aside from GWB suspending the Constitution and declaring himself dictator for life, the idea of Clinton taking up residence in the White House is about the worst I can think of for this country. Given the choice between Obama and Hillary (which is the stark reality for Dems), I go with Barack every time and twice on Tuesdays. Not because of dumb shit like racial or sexual divides, but because I believe he believes what he tells people when he speaks...while she strikes me as a disingenuous cunt who says whatever she thinks her audience wants to hear. I don't believe her reasons for seeking office are altruistic in any way, shape, or form. Ironically enough, she has far more in common with Oprah than Obama does.

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I actually used to like her untill about three years ago when she decided to coronate herself! She is now the thought police,judge and jury!

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
I'm sorry, but I have a really hard time taking anything a daytime talk show host says seriously. I can't see this helping Obama.

And by the way, for every Obama convert Oprah produces, there are 20 other voters who would never vote for him, simply because he's black and has an ethnic sounding name.