Orite? Anybody Heard Of This? (Camera)

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_ScaredLittleBoy, Nov 1, 2007.

1. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

I bought this 5.1MP camera off ebay. The box says 5MP, the sticker on the camera says 8MP :rolleyes:

Its Japanese. The picture quality is SHIT!

The white balance and everything is fucked up. Pictures turn out yellow and look really shit. None of the settings help.

I googled Orite and the images look good. Is it just a shit camera I've got? I'd sell it on ebay but I'd probably get negative feedback :mad:

Its cost me over £30 in total, bought a charger and batteries :mad:

*sigh*

Anyone heard of this brand? Or wish to relate a similar retail disaster?

2. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Never buy electrical items or phone stuff from Japan on Ebay, it usually turns out to be disappointing, if most of the £30 was postage you're probably best just writing it off and putting it down to experience.

3. B_ScaredLittleBoy

No postage was only £5. £20 fee for the camera and about a tenner for the batteries and charger off someone else.

I left positive feedback to the guy who gave me the camera though :mad:

Because I didn't have batteries and assumed it was okay. :mad:

4. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Did you pay by paypal?

5. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    yes...as a matter of fact. Bought this p.o.s. Polaroid "izone" digital awhile back (at the time a moderately priced camera). Everything either has a greenish tint or has ghosting like images. Complete crap.

Not half as good as a cheaper 640 x 480 digital with which I've taken most of my shots.

My best camera ever though (and still have it) is an old 35 film (SLR) Olympus OM10.

6. scottbud

scottbud Active Member

Albums:
    Sorry how can you expect to get decent picture quality from a 30 pound camera? Im sorry but no matter what the box or specs say about somethings quality the price says more about it than anything. Plus who has ever heard of a brand called orite? I think you are just a tad naieve thinking you where gonna get a good camera for so cheap.

7. B_ScaredLittleBoy

:redface:

I paid by Paypal yes. Damn these cheap camera manufacturers! I'm surprised Polaroid made a bad camera.

8. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Send the guy a message saying you've now got batteries in the camera and the picture quality is crap and you'd like your money back.,tell him if he likes you can email him a picture taken with the camera to demonstrate it's not of merchantable quality, if he says no launch a dispute, paypal will most likely insist he gives you your money back but you'll have to pay the cost of return postage, make sure to send it recorded delivery in case he tries to pull a fast one and says he hasn't received it, and make sure to keep a few pics on your pc in case you need to demonstrate the quality to paypal if he receives it and says it's fine.

9. alex8.5

Gold Member

Albums:
    Never heard of it. Advise seller that quality is poor and ask for a refund. If nothing happens, file a complaint with paypal. They may be able to you your money back, especially if he/she advertised something the product is not.

10. invisibleman

Gold Member

I bought a cheap PHILIPS digital camera for 30 bucks at a K-MART. Those pictures were VERY shitty. I have a POLAROID digital camera now. It isn't the best compared to (300 US dollar) digital cameras. It does have a flash on it and it serves the purpose of taking basic pictures. I am happy with them.

11. B_ScaredLittleBoy

Okay. I just checked the description and he said it was new, "unwanted gift"

Which I take to mean he used it, saw how shit it was and doesn't want it.

Would I be able to get a refund? Because I assume he won't be forthcoming with that...

So if its not his fault its the manufacturer's fault. Since from the description, he has never used it.

Should I still email and ask him for a refund?

12. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Yeah, your contract of sale was with him, make sure you keep photos in case at some point paypal ask for proof it was crappy (if he contests that when it's returned), paypal will make him refund the money but you have to be persistent.

13. B_ScaredLittleBoy

Cool. I'll let my porridge cool down while I email him. Thanks. You so wise :smile:

Do you think I could be denied because I've already left positive feedback? Just sent it. Saying I just got batteries in it and the quality is very bad ie not 5MP, could I have a refund :)

14. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I've had quite a few disputes on paypal, they've all been found in my favour, it's always best to look as though you've given the guy every reasonable chance to sort it out before launching a dispute. If you need any hints feel free to ask :)

15. B_ScaredLittleBoy

Ta. I'll see what he says tomorrow. Depending on how it goes I may have to ask for some hints :smile:

Thanks.

16. Principessa

Gold Member

SLB when it comes to electronics it's best to stick with known name brands. Why not ask your mates what they have and to recommend something, or check out Consumer Reports. CNET.com is also very reliable.

There was a crappy Polaroid iZone they sold in 2001 that wasn't digital. It produced tiny pics about 1.25" square that had a peel-off back so you could stick them anywhere. Aside from being too small to see w/o a magnifying glass; even with a magnifying glass the pics were blurred.:mad:

I agree.

17. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well this Polaroid izone I mentioned is digital (3.2 megapixels). But damned finnicky when it comes to getting a decent shot. Best pix it takes are those shot outside. (The woefully inadequate flash I think is the problem with the inside shots).

Curiously enuf, that other digital cam I said shoots quite nice pics (all the ones I posted - at a mere 640 x 480) is also a Polaroid.

Draft saved Draft deleted