Oscar Nominated pictures for 2008

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Italian1, Jan 29, 2008.

1. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

I know some people who like to see all of the films nominated for Oscars before the winner is announced. I've never done this, but was thinking about doing it this year. It would be interesting to have an opinion as to why these five films were picked. And when one is chosen the winner, I can actually say that I saw it. Some years I've seen a few of the films, and other years I haven't seen any of them until after the awards, either in the theater or on DVD.

Have you seen any of these films? Do you plan on seeing any of them?

Nominated films for 2008

Atonement

Spanning several decades, a drama about a fledgling writer, Briony Tallis, who, as a 13-year-old, irrevocably changes the course of several lives when she accuses her older sister's lover of a crime he did not commit.

Juno
    Faced with an unplanned pregnancy, an offbeat young woman makes an unusual decision regarding her unborn child.

Michael Clayton

An attorney known as the "fixer" in his law firm comes across the biggest case of his career that could produce disastrous results for those involved.

No Country for Old Men
    Set in West Texas, a man on the run with a suitcase full of money is pursued by a number of individuals.

There Will Be Blood
    A turn-of-the-century prospector buys the oil rights to a family's ranch, and then hits a major pocket of crude.

2. ~quicksilver~

~quicksilver~ New Member

I usually see all the nominated films (usually before they are nominated :rolleyes:) I am behind this year... You are not always guaranteed to see what the Academy saw in a film, lots of it unfortunately is studio politics. But most of the time the films are of amazing calibre. Want to see all the nominated ones this year, aside from Atonement... Dunno if I can put up with 2 hours of jawful pouting from Keira Knightley...

3. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

It is politics and I often don't always agree with the Academy picks. The insiders place ads in the trade papers and have parties to bring attention to their films. The voters will often favor their friends. This is the first year in a while that I think I'd like to see all of them.

4. BobLeeSwagger

Gold Member

I've seen three of them.

Michael Clayton - I liked it, but I just got a vibe that it was a little too self-conscious, as in "look how profound and socially aware we're being!" The acting is pretty good, especially Tom Wilkinson as the attorney who has a nervous breakdown. (He has very tough competition in the supporting actor category this year though.) It was worth seeing, but didn't think it was the best film of the year.

No Country For Old Men - I think it deserves to win. It's one of the most interesting movies I've seen in a long time, right up there with "Fargo". At first the ending kind of annoyed me, but the more I thought about it, the more I liked it, and now I want to see it again on DVD to piece it together even further.

There Will Be Blood - This is a very good film, with a lot to say about greed, money, and power. It is not as complete a film as "No Country" though, for one reason: Daniel Day-Lewis dominates the whole movie. He's mesmerizing, disturbing, and brilliant. If he doesn't win best actor, it will be a major screwjob. It's similar to the way that Cherlize Theron completely owned "Monster" and Hilary Swank dominated "Boys Don't Cry", but this movie has a far better screenplay and director than either of those movies did. Day-Lewis doesn't make very many films, but he's one of the best there's ever been, so if you really revel in seeing an actor at the top of his game, don't miss it.

5. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    Atonement
    Probably won't be seeing it. It's a "date movie" and the girl I'm "dating" has seen it and didn't like it.

Juno
    I thought it was a great film with a lot of heart about a tough issue. I was most impressed by it because of how "real" the characters were to me. Even the "bad guy" seemed to have realistic motivations and actions that make it hard to see him as "bad" so much as just "normal". It'd be an unusual choice for the Award, so I doubt it'd win, but it's one of those films everyone should check out. The girl in it was really awesome, also.

Michael Clayton

I thought it was good, but not Award good. Clooney does some great stuff, but this film was a little too "everyday thriller" for me. Worth watching, but not Award-worthy.

No Country for Old Men
    Great film. Of the three I've seen, this is the most "Award-worthy". All of the actors were great, the story was unique and interesting, and I came out of it really thinking about what I'd just seen. It also wins for "scariest" movie I saw this year, because I believe someone like Bardem's character could really exist, and he was truly frightening.

There Will Be Blood
    Haven't seen it yet. It doesn't look like a good date movie, but I may have no other choice this Friday!

6. hotbtminla

Gold Member

Albums:
    I saw all five, plus about another five that easily could have been on this list. All in all it was a great year for film.

If I was voting I would pick No Country for Old Men. Brilliant screenplay, sensational performances across the board (particularly Javier, Josh, Tommy Lee Jones and Kelly MacDonald), blistering cinematography, and a career achievement from the Coen Bros.

There Will Be Blood is destined to be a film that is debated and studied in film schools. I don't think I've ever seen a movie quite like it. And Daniel Day-Lewis... the hair stands on the back of my neck whenever I think about his performance. He's like a man possessed playing a man possessed.

Juno is the only "uplifting" movie of the bunch, but I think it's a little too-cool-for-school for the Academy. Ellen Page is awesome, as is the rest of the cast. This is probably the first "teen" comedy I've seen where teenage characters felt believable.

Michael Clayton reminded me of The Insider. Unexpectedly gripping, great acting and writing and thoroughly entertaining. It was a movie I underestimated... until I saw it.

Atonement has "Oscar" written all over it. I thought it was really well crafted and was impressed with the script because I'd read the book and I wouldn't even know how to start to adapt it. But it's clearly not a favorite of the Academy (no nominations for director, actor, or actress significantly hurt its chances).

I'm guessing No Country is the favorite, considering the Coens won the DGA (usually indicates who's going to win Best Director) and the SAG ensemble award (actors are the biggest block of Academy voters). And it didn't win the Globe, which is a good sign it will win the Oscar. But any of them could win and it wouldn't be a bad choice.

7. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    I really think 3:10 to Yuma was good enough to be nominated.

8. prince_will

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've seen Juno and Atonement.

Atonement was nice, but it was hard to seperate my liking of the movie from my hatred of the book. The book was way too prententious, and slow-moving. The Movie is different in that aspect. Plus, James McAvoy owned the movie...which is why i was hurt when he was nominated. Plus, both book and movie ended with a bang which you wouldn;t expect but makes total sense.

Juno was a nice movie to me, but severely overrated. I've seen better. but the direction and the acting was pretty superb though. Ellen Page did own that movie, but neither actress or movie has a chance in hell of winning.

Draft saved Draft deleted